Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,991,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
It's funny, I am an INFJ (I have taken this test probably 10 times in 10 years)and in a field that involves constant talking to people. I fell into it and need the money but I despise it.
Hmmm, sounds like me - but I don't despise it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,941,471 times
Field Inspector...doesn't matter what you inspect really.

Its what I do for the past 5 months. I drive around all day to different assignments. I do speak to people where I do the inspections but its only 10 minutes worth and I don't see 90% of the them ever again. I only spend about an hour a day in an office and I don't talk much to anyone there. I listen to my Ipod all day and I'm able to run errands when I have a gap. If it paid better, I could do this for a LONG LONG time but its good for another few years.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM

662 posts, read 1,639,690 times
I know this is an older thread but it's still relevant. I thought being a technical writer was good at first, but it involves a lot of communication as well. Perhaps a fiction writer?

Hands-down I think software programmer would be ideal. I've worked with many of them. In my experience, once you get to a certain level within a company you don't ever have to talk or deal with anyone face-to-face if you don't want. I've considered database programming in the past. Good money!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,807,077 times
The OP describes a condition that fits with Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities. NVLD people tend to have poor social skills because they do not read non-verbal communication well (they are great with verbal or written communication). They tend to suck at math. They tend to have quite high IQs. They tend to be identified as gifted at an early age, but their lack of spacial reasoning starts to drag down their math performance at the high school level. They might be an outstanding journalist, but will never be an architect or engineer.

Nonverbal learning disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM

175 posts, read 599,178 times
OP, I can relate as I am an introvert too. I can spend days in my room alone being fine with it. I've been working for nearly two years as a customer service representative at a call center. This job has been one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. The constant over the phone interaction as well as the office politics are very draining. Also having to pretend to be so enthusiastic with the customers over the phone is draining as well. I'm hoping soon that I will find a new job that's suited for me. I thinking about to returning to college and switching my major to something that's computer related because of my interest in them.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,684,471 times
I can relate to the OP as well. The thing is, when it comes to being in a corporate work environment, I'm finding that so much of the keys to success is as much about how well you 'schmooze' with the right people, as it is a testament to your capabilities. I'm the type that simply sits at my desk, and does my work. If I'm free to have a quick joke with my work colleague I will, but that's not why I'm there. There's a guy who just started working in my office that already, you can tell he's one of the 'schmooze' types that will probably climb the ladder before I do, I just get that off how I see his interaction with the higher ups, and how they respond to him. I don't have the gift of gab to sell myself, I'm hopeful that my work performance sells itself but that doesn't seem to be how it is sometimes in these work environments.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,941,471 times
I think the vast majority on here are introverted. Posting on forums isn't exactly a "social" thing to do.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,684,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I think the vast majority on here are introverted. Posting on forums isn't exactly a "social" thing to do.
I think that's a bit of a broadstroke comment. I'm perfectly capable of mingling in a social environment. I do think that forums and social networking allows people from all walks of life to engage and interact on a variety of topics. I wouldn't go as far as to say most on here are introverted.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:32 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,037,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Field Inspector...doesn't matter what you inspect really.

Its what I do for the past 5 months. I drive around all day to different assignments. I do speak to people where I do the inspections but its only 10 minutes worth and I don't see 90% of the them ever again. I only spend about an hour a day in an office and I don't talk much to anyone there. I listen to my Ipod all day and I'm able to run errands when I have a gap. If it paid better, I could do this for a LONG LONG time but its good for another few years.
Nice, that's my type of job.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,420,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
It's funny, I am an INFJ (I have taken this test probably 10 times in 10 years)and in a field that involves constant talking to people. I fell into it and need the money but I despise it.
Hrm... I'm an INFP myself. Most of the things I enjoy don't really pay the bills though. I actually enjoy interacting for long periods of time, but only with a few close confidants. I'm certainly not a social butterfly and do not enjoy small talk. Being in positions that required otherwise, and actually trying didn't really change this. However, I can masquerade as the part if I need to, it takes a lot of energy out of me to do so though.

Here are possible careers for me:

[SIZE=4]Possible Career Paths for the INFP [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=4]
  • Writers
  • Counselors / Social Workers
  • Teachers / Professors
  • Psychologists
  • Psychiatrists
  • Musicians
  • Clergy / Religious Workers[/SIZE]

While I do write, I don't make much if any money at it besides a few blogs where I made a tad bit. I worked in IT and while I enjoy writing my own programs and solving my own problems, or even working for NFP doing volunteer work in IT; I never really fit in the corporate landscape.I'm sure it factors in with jobs I am willing to do, or not, or just plain fed up with keeping up in the rat race. I need to see a point in the work besides just $.

Last edited by grapico; 11-26-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment