Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
No reason... Engineers are stupid and not well rounded period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I think this user is illustrating how easy it is to make far fetched claims on a forum, similar to those made by all the L.A. degree bashers on here.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM

132 posts, read 430,185 times
Clip Syndicate Video: Preparing students for where the jobs are

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Bascailly colleges promote those fields that they have space for in classes.Many degrees have limited space at colleges ;so they want customers in the fields they have room for.They also maybe looking at your nephews SAT scores and class standing to be honest.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
To answer the OP... yes. I have encouraged my children to go to a liberal arts-focused college and get a degree in something they love. My daughter is a senior and is applying to Dickinson, Ursinus, Arcadia, and Gettysburg (all in nearby PA) because she is interested in studying writing, film, and theater.

I was an English major from a small Lib Arts school in Virginia and have made an excellent living as a writer/editor/communications professional for the past 25 years (no grad degree) and this was after graduating in the worst job market since our current one (1983). I attribute it to the fact that I stuck with something I liked and was good at--that tends to go together.

I have hired many an English/Anthropology/Political Science major because I know that these folks know how to learn and know how to write, which is extremely useful and rare in the workplace these days.

Making your way as a LA graduate is entirely possible if you really enjoy your field and are prepared to be flexible in your job search--willing to relocate or go to grad school, law school, etc.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
To answer the OP... yes. I have encouraged my children to go to a liberal arts-focused college and get a degree in something they love. My daughter is a senior and is applying to Dickinson, Ursinus, Arcadia, and Gettysburg (all in nearby PA) because she is interested in studying writing, film, and theater.

I was an English major from a small Lib Arts school in Virginia and have made an excellent living as a writer/editor/communications professional for the past 25 years (no grad degree) and this was after graduating in the worst job market since our current one (1983). I attribute it to the fact that I stuck with something I liked and was good at--that tends to go together.

I have hired many an English/Anthropology/Political Science major because I know that these folks know how to learn and know how to write, which is extremely useful and rare in the workplace these days.

Making your way as a LA graduate is entirely possible if you really enjoy your field and are prepared to be flexible in your job search--willing to relocate or go to grad school, law school, etc.
Shhhh!!! There are certain users on this forum that detest the despicable idea of a L.A. degree holder having a successful career.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
I have encouraged my children to go to a liberal arts-focused college and get a degree in something they love.
I encouraged my younger brother to study whatever he wants (including music!), provided that he takes the same math and science classes as engineering major (basically to have strong quant skills). This way, should things don't work out for him, he can go back for a 2nd bachelors in engineering.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Ah yes, I remember arguing this point with this OP.

It was always the worst possible extreme pointed out in dealing with colleges to say how horrible they are. It was like pointing to a Darwin Award, where some one was driving over RPG's to salvage the metal out, to provide an example how driving a car is dangerous. Pointing out students that take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans to pay an unaccredited diploma mill is not representative of how worthless it is getting education above the high school level.

Done correctly and in balance, like pretty much anything in life, it's become a basis for a great number of positions that don't involve retail, food service, or manual labor. Also, a degree is pretty much required for middle and upper levels of any company that is not tightly held. Liberal Arts is not great or bad in itself, neither is a more focused degree, you must look at the prospects of the options. Some are more practical and command more of a salary, some are rarer or glutted with grads...the student must make the decision.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
He is 17 years old and does not have a career or college plan yet, and is just interested in learning what others think.
Let me tell him what I think; Forget about college untill you have a plan of action. What purpose would the education serve? After 4 years of school would he be able to move into the work force? I know plenty of people with the majors he is being told to go after and those people are working for Starbucks, as bank tellers, in retail, as wait staff. Unless their is some kind of plan with a pay off then why go to school? Chances are he can get a job at any of those places without the degree.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
I completed my B.A. in '95 after a 5-year stint in the Army. Today I make over $70K/year as a bank compliance auditor. For my first 9 years in banking I worked in branch management.

Anyone saying a liberal arts degree dooms you to working as a clerk at Wal-Mart or Starbucks is silly. It's about intellect and skill set. Develop those things, and the rest will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment