Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I think it is very sad as I watch people trudge off to their jobs, fight traffic, and they end up working 50+ hours a week. Then at night they come home and collapse on the couch to watch TV for an hour, probably not spend any time with their kids, and then they go to sleep and wake up just to do it all over again. Sell your soul for $70,000 a year? Need to drive that Lexus and live in a brand new McMansion? **** that. I'd personally rather die. But, these people are already dead anyway.

Have fun in your cubicles as you stare at computer screens.
I love my job. I am not selling my soul, I am doing something I look forward to every day.

Why would you work a job you don't like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Don't you want to spend some time with your spouse and children?
I am not married. My girlfriend is in medical school and works/studies at least 15 hours/week more than I do. We are extremely happy. We are happier being productive and contributing to society than we ever would be spending our time vegging out in front of a television like most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Not only mixed up priorities, but mixed up math.

Of 24 hours, the average person needs 8 hours of sleep. Another 9 is spent at work (yes you don't get paid for the lunch hour but you are still at work. its not like it is your time) plus an average of two hours a day commuting. This leaves you with merely five hours to spend time with friends and family, run errands, and engage in other rewarding activities.

Just because people value more things in life than work doesn't mean they don't 'take pride in their work'. One can still do a good job and enjoy other interests outside of work. Its great to enjoy your job but if you can't think of anything else in life to spend time doing, you really shouldn't be offering anyone advice about how to live theirs.
First of all, you don't need 8 hours of sleep unless you are 12 years old. Lets knock that down to 7. Second, work through lunch if you really don't like spending the time. That knocks the work day down to 8 hrs. And why the h*ll do you live an hour away from work?

Move closer, or at least make your commute productive. Ride a bike to work, encorporate exercise into your commute.

Every single person on this thread is offering someone else advice on how to live their lives and you say not to offer it myself? wow.

I am tired of this attitude that a job is a necessary evil to make money. Why do so many people stick with jobs they hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,616 times
Because practically speaking, most people will not be paid to do the things they like. No one is going to pay me to read books, spend time with my family, etc. The best that most can do is find a job that is tolerable, or that involves working with people that they like. I enjoy writing, but the odds are very long that I will ever make a living at it. I continue to try, but I have to find something to do in the event that it never pans out.

It's great that you've found a way to make a living at something you love to do, but that is not reality for most people.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,527,526 times
For me, flexibility is just as important. Companies with positions that allow employees to telecommute are so enviable. A really understanding boss is even better.

I do have a friend who designs/develops adult websites. His hours are very flexible. He works odd hours, but at least he is working from home.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM

122 posts, read 381,712 times
I'll probably be getting a degree in Information Systems Management, so what kinds of employers will generally have the shortest work week for this kind of degree? I still want a decent salary of at least 40k starting.

Last edited by dominus; 12-19-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Dispatchers aren't the same as controllers. Controllers are federal employees.
Ok, I didn't realize that it had to be a federal job? I just gave a suggestion that's all. And I know they are not the same thing. I just wrote that my husband is an airline Dispatcher, didn't I?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Bit to mention the other added benefit of working for an airline. You fly for free and so does your wife and kids. Many airlines offer the same for the parents as well. Drawback, you fly standby and that can be a pain in the butt, but if you are smart about it and know how to play the game then you will be fine!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Bit to mention the other added benefit of working for an airline. You fly for free and so does your wife and kids. Many airlines offer the same for the parents as well. Drawback, you fly standby and that can be a pain in the butt, but if you are smart about it and know how to play the game then you will be fine!
Did that change for the better? (I'd be surprised given how bad the airline industry has been financially most of this decade). My wife used to work in the industry and only the airline she directly worked for was giving free standby tickets to employees (which did work exactly the way you said). But the way it worked with other airlines as an "industry employee" was usually you paid 10% of the normal full fare for the standby tix (which was still less than most "sale fares"). I miss those days......

Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Did that change for the better? (I'd be surprised given how bad the airline industry has been financially most of this decade). My wife used to work in the industry and only the airline she directly worked for was giving free standby tickets to employees (which did work exactly the way you said). But the way it worked with other airlines as an "industry employee" was usually you paid 10% of the normal full fare for the standby tix (which was still less than most "sale fares"). I miss those days......
Actually, We fly for free with NW and Delta and pay maybe 20 bucks to fly with Other airlines. I flew to Sweden last year and paid 40 bucks for me and my son

Old 12-21-2009, 02:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,075,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominus
I'm looking for jobs that ... still pay decently
after several years of experience (around 60k).
$60k is high.
It's better than "decent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk
... your $60K in Alabama is probably worth $25K in southern California.
I think you got those states reversed.

One thing that dominus could do is downsize their expectations.
You don't need $60 to live on. You can live on $25k.

You don't need a new car.
You don't need a better house.
You don't need the latest big screen TV.
You don't need to live in California.
.... etc. etc. etc.

If you downsize your material expectations, you can
live off a part-time job just fine.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,264 times
Would the responses be so hostile if the OP was a woman and not a man?
Hmmmn I doubt it.

I can think of a few careers where woman have been successful at working 40 hrs tops and making decent pay:
Govt related careers
legal transcription
Phys/Occupational therapy-masters degree
Dental Hygiene
Social Work-masters level-in a public school setting
Speech Lang path-in a school
teaching adult level classes -online is a great option for this.
freelance work,graphics,IT etc.

there are more but think about careers a lot of women gravitate towards and expand on it. there is Wayyyy more to the medical profession than nursing. Xray tech, sonograph techs, etc.

I don't think one is lacking motivation if work is not their primary motivation in life. Its also very deceiving to keep telling people to pursue work that they love. Millions want to be artists and writers and they go to college and then end up in debt and working at Starbucks. Some one has to pursue the "logical" jobs that keep this country functioning. No everyone is not going to like the 9-5 they go to. That is why volunteer work is such a good outlet, or weekend sports, or a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment