U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,464,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Employers are supposed to have a secure fax where only those who have a legitimate need to see personal information such as medical records and such have access to it.
Ah, and therein lies the rub, does it not - that phrase "supposed to have" covers a lot of ground. Employers are also "supposed to have" simple common sense, and clearly that is not at all a common trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As an FYI--if you ever file a workers comp claim, your entire medical history will likely fall into your employers hands. Hopefully the person managing the w/c claims is smart and competent enough to keep this type of information confidential. I know when I managed them at my last job, I found out a lot more than I ever wanted to know about some coworkers medical history's. I also never let any of that information go any further, and treated it as if I was subjected to HIPAA regulations.

While I certainly discussed the on-the-job injury being paid for by w/c with my boss, any ancilliary information that came across on medical records I kept confidential. My boss had no reason to know, and I never even discussed any of it with the employee whose records I had--which in my opinion would have been improper as well.
Fortunately, the worst injury I'm likely to incur as an accountant is the occasional paper cut. I am also the sort that has a fundamental aversion to filing for Worker's Comp in any case - and doubly so, if doing so carries the risk of revealing one's entire medical history to one's employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 AM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,899 posts, read 3,925,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Fortunately, the worst injury I'm likely to incur as an accountant is the occasional paper cut. I am also the sort that has a fundamental aversion to filing for Worker's Comp in any case - and doubly so, if doing so carries the risk of revealing one's entire medical history to one's employer.
You won't have any choice in the matter if you fall down the stairs and break your neck, unless you want to pay the bill yourself. Health insurance won't pay if someone else is responsible (worker's comp, auto insurance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment