Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Uh... the last post sounds like someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. If so, it might be harder for that person to get a job.
The screaming shortage is over (where you just show up with a pulse and get hired). There is still far more work available as an RN than many other professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Uh... the last post sounds like someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. If so, it might be harder for that person to get a job.
The screaming shortage is over (where you just show up with a pulse and get hired). There is still far more work available as an RN than many other professions.
Agreed, where I live there are hundreds of RN job openings. Sure the better paying ones want experience, but if you're willing to work in a doctors office, nursing home, etc. the jobs are there, even for fresh grads. Everybody has to start somewhere.

PS--For those RN's out there, especially those over 40, do you think that nurses (all nurses: LPN, RN, BSRN) left nursing school with more hands on experience back when you graduated than they do now? Just curious.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
per op
the impression of the OP is that nursing jobs are drying up that we no longer need nurses. not so.
i agree with the other posters, relocation issue.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM

68 posts, read 344,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I'd like to know how many of you actually work in Nursing? I'm an RN here in CA and let me tell you MANY of the hospitals are not making a profit. Hospitals have been able to weather the current economic storm fairly well but there have been lay offs. 2010 is going to be worse than 2009 just wait and see. People that think things are getting better economically are burying their head in the sand or worse listening to what their government and mainstream media is telling them.

Secondly, you think all those nurses approaching 55 are magically going to retire? HAHA! Yeah right! Do you even know how much most nurses make? It's not like we all have plush salaries and wonderful pensions. Nurses like most people are going to be working well into their 60's. I see A LOT of older nurses staying on for the paycheck. And this whole mad rush of young nurses is disconcerting for a myriad of reasons.

The profession overall needs a lot less fluff. I.e. we don't need more master's prepared and BSN prepared nurses throwing around useless nursing theory and adminstrative garbage. What we need is more nurses rolling up their sleeves jumping in the trenches and getting their hands dirty and getting paid better to do it. If the American economy ever sees the boom it did in the late 90's I guarantee you the young people entering the profession now will be leaving in DROVES! Nursing sucks for the type of responsibility we have, the stuff we see and deal with, etc. There is no other "profession" that treats it's professionals like nursing does. It's a glorified trade job, not really a profession. But you can thank the advanced practice office chair nurses for that. Instead of legitimizing the profession and making it more respectful and professional they come up with worthless things.

50 years from now the RN will be obsolete anyways. You'll have many more NP's and PA's doing the jobs of doctors and many more CNAs and medication techs doing the jobs of RN's. This will come a lot sooner if government takes over healthcare in this country which brings me to my next point. If that happens you will see people leaving in droves as well. Healthcare will be a mess if it's taken over by our inefficient government. It's already scary the lack of efficiency, disorganization, and down right malpractice/unsafe conditions I see now.
For a moment there I was like, "No way, they are not going to get rid of RN's and give their job description to CNA's and Med Techs...that sounds really crazy! I think that people would protest if that took place. Patients and RN's. I mean, could you imagine that scene?"

Oh, and by the way, a lot of the CNA jobs have been cut. This has taken place for years now. So out of knowhere the yare going to get rid of RN's and replace them with CNA's and Med Techs? I really, really, doubt that.

But then again, the way the health care system is heading, you never know how messed up it is going to get.

I also wanted to say that it is true, nurses are working at an much older age nowadays. I saw a nurse who was 70 yrs old at the hospital. She looked older, but you can tell she is blessed with good genes and takes care of herself. I did hear comments though about the patient who had her, she stated that she was a bit nervous on letting her start her IV and was worried that she had "lost her skills" due to the aging process.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM

68 posts, read 344,777 times
[quote=brightdoglover;12609454]Uh... the last post sounds like someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. If so, it might be harder for that person to get a job.
The screaming shortage is over (where you just show up with a pulse and get hired). There is still far more work available as an RN than many other professions.[/quote

That is too funny! I could not stop laughing!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 AM

I got my RN in 1981. People with BSNs were flunking the boards all over the place, and famously had little hands-on experience for working, even back then.
I personally think LPNs have the best hands-on experience in school. I was a Reserve officer in charge of putting enlisted people into LPN school as a year of full-time duty, and they studied on their duty weekends sometimes. I saw their coursework and it was very specifically related to working and real life- not this "Nursing care plan matrix model of care blah blah" that seems to churn out from "higher" education.
I didn't go to RN school to learn how to think- already knew that- I wanted to be trained, not educated. Must say, even for a diploma school, I feel like I could have benefited from a lot more training and less conceptualization.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I got my RN in 1981. People with BSNs were flunking the boards all over the place, and famously had little hands-on experience for working, even back then.
I personally think LPNs have the best hands-on experience in school. I was a Reserve officer in charge of putting enlisted people into LPN school as a year of full-time duty, and they studied on their duty weekends sometimes. I saw their coursework and it was very specifically related to working and real life- not this "Nursing care plan matrix model of care blah blah" that seems to churn out from "higher" education.
I didn't go to RN school to learn how to think- already knew that- I wanted to be trained, not educated. Must say, even for a diploma school, I feel like I could have benefited from a lot more training and less conceptualization.
My mother graduated from nursing school with a BSRN in 1954.

She feels that nurses today get spit out with very little hands on experience. When she was in nursing school, a good part of the education was hands on. In addition to regular course work, they had 15-20 clinical hours a week starting their Freshman year. The work advanced as they did. They started out making beds--learning "hospital corners" and emptying bed pans and gradually progressed to hands on patient care.

About 30% of the women who started the program didn't finish--a few left to get married (the school she went to absolutely didn't allow married students and even discouraged boyfriends) and others just washed out. It doesn't sound like today's programs are anything like that.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM

The current BSNs I've talked to don't see a clinical minute until junior year, and these are well-regarded college programs.
I cannot imagine what goes on in master's programs, but the little I've seen doesn't give me much hope.
Then again, I'm bitter about the profession, to...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 AM

314 posts, read 935,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
per op
the impression of the OP is that nursing jobs are drying up that we no longer need nurses. not so.
i agree with the other posters, relocation issue.
I didnt say that we no longer need nurses. I was just wondering what will happen with nurses that have graduated and have their RN licenses in say 2008 and its now 2010 and they still dont have a job. What will happen to them as they compete with RN's that just graduated in 2010? I guess they just become nurses with no experience.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
I didnt say that we no longer need nurses. I was just wondering what will happen with nurses that have graduated and have their RN licenses in say 2008 and its now 2010 and they still dont have a job. What will happen to them as they compete with RN's that just graduated in 2010? I guess they just become nurses with no experience.
The smart ones will have relocated to areas with nursing shortages where they are willing to hire new grads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment