Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am saying many companies don't have the finances to hire anyone right now, however after we are out of this recession they will.

Everyone in my companies IT department is currently doing the job of one and a half person. As soon as the economy turns around we will hire at least a dozen people in IT alone.
That's the point buddy......the US economy is NOT going to turn around anytime soon. Jobless recovery? LMAO! The US is waging war on Pakistan right now........it's a proxy war but war nonetheless. And Israel is going to bomb Iran in the next few months. The only thing that is going to pull America out of its current economic quagmire is WAR! Always has and always will. That is unless all of us.....including the unemployed who have all the time on their hands........rise up and start some serious protesting. It's going to be a lovely aka ****TY world for our children to grow up in let alone country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
The cost to employ somebody in the US is 2-3 times what their hourly rate is thanks to meidcare, medicaid, social security, unemployment taxes, and insurance. Why would you employee a US worker unless you absolutely had to?? You have to pay 2-3 times as much and get absolutely nothing back for that extra money.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
I am saying many companies don't have the finances to hire anyone right now, however after we are out of this recession they will.

Everyone in my companies IT department is currently doing the job of one and a half person. As soon as the economy turns around we will hire at least a dozen people in IT alone.
And I'm saying the scale has tipped in favor of employers, thanks to the H1B program and the ability to write off the cost of outsourced labor as expense rather than payroll.

I've been through this for ten years now. If my job wasn't outsourced I was laid off and someone hired right behind me for less. In the most recent case, I lost a job because IBM put my position up for a bid and someone, who apparently doesn't need money to survive, decided to do it for less than half of what I was paid, minus health benefits, vacation pay, etc. This has been going on during all points of economic cycles. My pay has also decreased over the last eight years.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
That's the point buddy......the US economy is NOT going to turn around anytime soon. Jobless recovery? LMAO! The US is waging war on Pakistan right now........it's a proxy war but war nonetheless. And Israel is going to bomb Iran in the next few months. The only thing that is going to pull America out of its current economic quagmire is WAR! Always has and always will. That is unless all of us.....including the unemployed who have all the time on their hands........rise up and start some serious protesting. It's going to be a lovely aka ****TY world for our children to grow up in let alone country.
lol...the economy is not turning around soon? Try being a little less bitter about foreign policy and look at economic indicators. The economy is recovering already. And how about the unemployed people start using their time to start their own businesses and contribute to the economy instead of doing 'serious protesting'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
And I'm saying the scale has tipped in favor of employers, thanks to the H1B program and the ability to write off the cost of outsourced labor as expense rather than payroll.

I've been through this for ten years now. If my job wasn't outsourced I was laid off and someone hired right behind me for less. In the most recent case, I lost a job because IBM put my position up for a bid and someone, who apparently doesn't need money to survive, decided to do it for less than half of what I was paid, minus health benefits, vacation pay, etc. This has been going on during all points of economic cycles. My pay has also decreased over the last eight years.
Actually many outsourced jobs are coming back to the states, especially in customer service. Trends show clearly that outsourcing in customer service/technology jobs does not pay off in the long run (as seen by companies like Dell).

Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,615 times
Quote:
So you are telling me these companies are cutting pay and downsizing because they can't find qualified applicants?

The problem is companies have been able to outsource these jobs and import foreign workers so they don't have to hire Americans domestically.
Good post. One does have to wonder whether the continued destruction of the middle class via the erosion of our manufacturing base and now "outsourcing"--punctuated by the blips of the "feelgood nineties" and the "credit bubble" in order to distract us--was planned all along.

As Lenin is reputed to have stated, "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them."

Old 12-19-2009, 01:39 AM

52 posts, read 196,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
What a **** article. Have you looked at the requirements for job postings for engineering positions? They essentially want 20 years experience in performing miracles (with preference for having achievements such as medals of honors, pulitzer prizes, and nobel prizes). They want superman for 50,000. There are LEGIONS of unemployed US citizens who have engineering degrees and can't find work. Most of the job responsibilities if you come from an ABET accredited school, you'll be able to pick up the work within a few weeks. Most companies, however have a ridiculous list of demands and then cry "SHORTAGE!" as a justification for hiring some overseas worker at half the cost.
I'm seeing a lot of jobs for mechanical engineers that state requirements for electrical knowledge to the point where it seems they want to combine a mechanical engineer and electrical engineering position so they won't have to hire both. Yes, the ME undergrad programs make you take a couple of circuits courses plus you get some very basic exposure in physics but far from the depth EEs have to take. Maybe MEs need to double major in EE. Bureau of Labor Stats shows the ME field having a 4% growth for at least the next 4 years. I have a BSME and have been unemployed for 10 months now. A moderate amount of "senior level" ME positions are being listed but seems very difficult to get your foot in the door if you are just getting out of school. I continue to look for ME positions but honestly cannot afford to wait until MEs are more in demand. The market has literally forced me to consider other career paths outside of engineering. Unlike some, engineering has not been a very rewarding career for me and had I known the economy was going to take this direction, I may have changed my major.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM

520 posts, read 869,487 times
when you apply for schooling money,just make sure include 1000.00 for truck driving school so you can get ajob driving walmart stuff around the country 7 days a week for 25k.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
I say they didn't do their homework.

If it was so difficult to fill IT positions, IBM, HP and others wouldn't have reduced pay and fired so many of their employees.
"IT" is way too broad. Senior positions are damn hard to fill, but we can get all the trainees we want, for pennies on the dollar.

FWIW, we've spent three months with a vacant senior position (something in the 90K range, for the right candidate) and we've had a hard time finding someone to fill it. The problem is, of course, that all the entry-level and, lately, mid-level positions are being sent overseas. Like all employers, we want someone with years of specific hands-on experience, but nobody's hiring people to go and get the experience. (Of course, in IT, "experience" tends to mean "those times I broke something in an obscenely expensive and highly visible manner".)

Good news for me, personally, as there's a lack of young people snapping at my heels. Bad news for the field as a whole.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 AM

61 posts, read 174,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm a Mechanical Engineer for the 6th best college in the nation and I've been unemployed for 69 weeks now! I try to get work as a Mechanical Engineer, CAD Designer, or Technical Writer but nothing yet!

And some companies are now getting cheap on our salaries too! I talked to BECO and they said a lot of unemployed engineers are competing for the same job!
Roger that. I'm a mechanical engineer with an MBA and 15 years of experience and have been out of work for 54 weeks. Everybody wants experience but nobody wants to pay for it. I worked so hard to get my salary up to a decent level and now it looks like I'm going to have to swallow my pride and accept a 30-35% pay cut.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:

same way at mine, could definitely use some more people but, my co would rather run a longer backlog and squeeze as much out as possible for now. just don't have the resources for it. I have done much less work at other jobs, with more perks and gotten paid more for instance... just how it is right now. But they are running this cost of increased efficiency at the cost of no more time for creative side projects, optimization and staff organizational meetings, which in a better economy, might serve the company better. But that was better for them than risking a total company bankruptcy for instance. For now they are in a slow growth, ride it out phase. I know others in IT and they are in the same situation, 5 years ago, they probably would have quit and made a lateral move to another company, much more difficult right now. Even less than 2 years ago, I was getting offers from recruiters multiple times a week, now I only see it once every month or so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment