Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:23 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times

Advertisements

I would have done nothing different. Sure it would have nice to do this and that, but the reality of it all is that my work ethic would have been exactly the same, so I probably would be exactly where I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
I would be a pastry chef. When I graduated from high school a million years ago, I wanted to go to Vegas and be a dancer. My family pressured me to go to college and be a teacher. I love teaching, but I wish that I had a backbone and money back then and at least gave it a try. Of course the downside of being a "showgirl" is that it is a short-lived occupation and I don't know what I would be doing now. My message to my students, though, is to follow their dream. Something else will always come along.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 AM

76 posts, read 290,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
I feel like I didn't really start living it up and having fun as a young person until I was 23. But at least I did it
What do you mean when you say "living it up" and having fun as a young person?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
If I knew then what I know now...when I graduated back in the 70's I would have gone to college immediately after high school. I would also consider a career in the military. But if I were graduating TODAY I would probably look into the medical field. Not as a Dr or nurse but something like radiology.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,146,800 times
I would have majored in Accounting and gotten my CPA instead of majoring in Psychology/pre med. I would not have gotten married so young That way I could have concentrated on my schooling and career. Not that I regret marrying my high school sweetheart, but I know that BOTH of us were too young and he gave up his dream and never finished college b/c now he had a wife to support. I wish we would have had parents that gave a cr@p and advised us to wait!!!

We are advising our daughter just that ! WAIT! Do not get married, get your career going then get married and have kids. Also, don't have kids right after you get married. I am glad we waited 4 years to have her, but we were STILL too young to be parents.

Now my husband is 42, his business has failed and he cannot find a job.
The type of industry he was in is not going to be making a comeback (cleaning out builders models and specs) and he is depressed and does not know what to do with his life.
If I had majored in acct. and gotten my CPA I could be making WAY more $$ in this field that I am now. Not that I am complaining, but more $$ is always nice

Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Join the military.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 AM

145 posts, read 576,030 times
I would have gone to college and then obtained a job with a pension instead of going straight to work, going to college at night in my late thirties and working 23 years in a private corporation with no pension and no 401K match. I could have then taken that pension along with early social security and would not be worrying about finding a job after being downsized at age 62. As for marriage and family, I would not change one thing.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Go straight to college and realize my full potential, get the stars out of my eyes and drop the "rock-star" boyfriend and marry that responsible one I let get away instead..

Ah, precious hindsight...

Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,101 times
I wish I had matured quicker. 6 years ago when I was 18, I thought I knew it all. College + working in the real world made me realize how life is NOTHING like the movies and how much BS you have to deal with just to make it. I just wanted to get away from my parents and partied/smoked/fornicated my way through college without really thinking about my future.

I was a very idealistic kid growing up. Working/living/dating in the real world shattered all those misconceptions I used to glorify in my youth. The simple truth: It's all about the money.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not as a Dr or nurse but something like radiology.
Radiologists are doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment