Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

I would take a very similar path(), but some changes;()
  1. Get a job with an admirable company that has growth potential opportunities AND will pay for your college
  2. Learn a skill (or several)
  3. Leverage 'skills' to a higher level skill with little competition in that field
  4. Go to college fulltime while working nights
  5. Get a few extra degrees in complimentary fields
  6. Take advantage of being young and try lots of options within your company and do plenty of international volunteer work (which your company may support)
  7. Always volunteer for jobs that may give you additional FREE training and opportunities
  8. Ask your boss what you can do to make their job easier (this will come back and make YOUR job easier)
  9. Be successful in spite of bosses who are idiots (~80% will be idiots)
  10. Don't let your boss or your co-workers spoil your fun (or ruin your contribution)
  11. Have fun at work
  12. Invest in bargain real estate that will positive cash flow. (it will be paid off in 20 yrs and you won't NEED a job) (i bought first house at age 19, and about 20 properties since then, BUT I did not strategically buy sustainable passive income props that are currently paid off )
  13. Be diligent in investing for your future: $$ / health / time / talent
  14. Be giving. Life is too short to be greedy.
  15. Be crazy, do a few things so you have something to tell the grandkids (if you live through being crazy )

Hint: Don't buy a farm (lots of work / time, little income)
Buy a farm AFTER retirement (if you think you need one ... I do need one, or at least a barn to go to and 'contemplate' while shoveling manure )
  • Work for at least five yrs while getting a degree, then join military or take a peace corp / ameri-corp position that your employer supports and will hire you back. (was available, but I didn't do it)
  • Get good versatile experience in volunteer jobs overseas.
  • If there are some dreams, pursue when appropriate
  • Keep tabs on life and be flexible... (I wasn't expecting to be 'Excessed' after 32 yrs of work and only 6 wks shy of retirement benefits...)
  • (hint... this is (really) important...If you marry... BE SURE your values mesh, and realize you ARE marrying your Father or Mother-in-law. (too bad, but the 'mirror-image theory' is REALLY true more often than not). If you don't like, or get-along with in-laws, life will not be fun. (for the next 200 yrs!!!, hint: LISTEN)

Last words....(infamous, not famous)... This season (post HS) may be the best times of your life!!! enjoy, and be smart. Lighten up on decisions, and be sure to thank your parents. (I ended up caring for one of mine who became disabled. From the day I turned 18 till a couple yrs ago (many moons later). Be flexible, Life throws curve balls. Gumby is my buddy.

Have fun, and good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I would have chosen my college opportunities based on much different criteria than just trying to get far away from family. I also would have gone straight through and finished in 3.5 years instead of taking time off to travel and screw around (but I don't regret that I did because it's not something I could do as an adult).

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
I'm only a second semester Sophmore in college at the moment. However, I already know I would have started out my college career differently. I was home schooled in high school. My dad is a professor at the school I attend. He tried to convince me to take a few classes my final year of high school but I was too focused on A) sleeping in and B) trying to get away with doing as little work as possible. Because of this my study habits were poor and my grades suffered that first year. I've matured in my study habits and can see myself pulling off at least a 3.0 no problem this semester. I also would've taken summer classes last year as I got really bored at my mundane job, only taking off 5 days the whole summer. That's another thing I would've changed, although in those few days I had the chance to take the best trip of my life thus far and solo.

Things are looking up though. I enjoy my major and studying just seems to come more naturally now. I look forward to a summer of working, school and fun sprinkled in. I'm also looking for networking opportunities for an internship next Fall. Not to toot my own horn but I have yet to see more than a handful of students with the work ethic that I have at my job, so I'm sticking that out as best I can for now. Even though I've grown tired of it after nearly 4 years.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I would have initially applied to the school I am transferring to now.
Less headache involved.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
The same thing I did except save more money.

44 years ago I could have saved $10 per week for 10 years, $50 per week for next 10 years, $100 per week for the 10 after that and $200 per week for the following 14 years.

At an average of 4% at the end of the first 10 years I would have had $6,377.41 in savings.

At the end of the second 10 years I would have had $41,387.23 in total savings.

At the end of the third 10 years I would have had $125,460.60 in total savings.

At the end of the lat 14 years I would have had $314,559.09 in total savings.

And that is in a simple 4% bank passbook. I used an average of 4% so during a lot of those years I would have made more and today less.

Yes, I saved I have retirement savings, the 401k and some IRA's but now I wish I would have saved more than I did and I wish I would have saved that in addition to what I did save.

But I did what I wanted to do and have great memories that money can not buy so I am not crying about it.

The moral is if you are young put away a little... just $10 a week for the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment