Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
what we are looking for in our company...
and the place is an all white place?

I've heard this enough times in my life where it makes me wonder. Too often, especially in smaller companies, employers and those in charge of hiring, want people that they can not only work with, but relate to and sadly (even though it may not be most of the time) it's easier to relate to someone who looks and acts like you.
Maybe whites have seen this when they've applied for jobs in all black or latino places, however, for everytime this happens, there's IMO 5 to 10 times more that it's the other way around.
I have lost jobs and not gotten jobs in the past because they stated it was not a good "fit". I am not into gossip and "company culture" (i.e. baby showers). I am into working. I have been let go twice and not hired once because I did not wish to participate in such things as brining a covered dish to lunch or spending the first three hours of the work day drinking coffee and eating donuts and discussing what I was going to eat for lunch.

The point I am trying to make, I guess, is that sometimes being a "fit" has nothing to do with ethnicity.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
per OP
the card is much harder to play coming in the door. HR is looking for people that are not itching to play the card but are black. this is a great hire. when you got black staff that are good, smart, and team players and are not going to sue you, you got a good hire.
for HR, if you hire the time bomb lusting for EEOC revenge you have just messed with your job. stop looking to skin tone and look to attitude. employment is 85% attitude--- something TV does not teach.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's obvious you don't have a clue how dangerous it is to hire a black person.

I will be honest here. If it were up to me I would avoid it at all costs. I don't care how good you are if you're black you just aren't worth the risks. As an employer (I am not now but have been) it's like asking to be shoved into a walking on eggshells environment. One wrong word, one perceived slight and here come the lawyers!

It's really disgusting.
Are you kidding me? I hope you get smacked with an EEOC lawsuit that costs you every dime you have with that type of attitude.

For the record, the company I work for actively recruits minorities, and they are some of our best workers.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Are you kidding me? I hope you get smacked with an EEOC lawsuit that costs you every dime you have with that type of attitude.

For the record, the company I work for actively recruits minorities, and they are some of our best workers.
"Actively recruits" such as discrimination against white males?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
"Actively recruits" such as discrimination against white males?
We have a steady stream of white males walking through the door to apply. We reach out to minority communities because often we find that minorities don't know we exist unless we specifically target them to apply. Bottom line we want to hire the best person for the job, and it's not always the white male.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have lost jobs and not gotten jobs in the past because they stated it was not a good "fit". I am not into gossip and "company culture" (i.e. baby showers). I am into working. I have been let go twice and not hired once because I did not wish to participate in such things as brining a covered dish to lunch or spending the first three hours of the work day drinking coffee and eating donuts and discussing what I was going to eat for lunch.

The point I am trying to make, I guess, is that sometimes being a "fit" has nothing to do with ethnicity.

20yrsinBranson
This post reminds me of my job right now. In the last 2 weeks, we've had 3 potluck luncheons and 2 birthdays where everyone is expected to sign up to bring in a food item. I try to play the good employee and bring stuff in, but on Friday, they tell me about yet ANOTHER birthday for this week and asked what I was bringing in. I finally had enough and said I was short of cash due to the holidays and will not be participating. I'm not really broke, but I'm tired of spending money and time buying all this crap every day! I'm a single guy that lives alone so I've been spending more money buying food for coworkers than I do for myself. Enough already! lol

I work with 95% women, so I don't "fit in" at my job either and it has nothing to do with race...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I've known people who will not hire minorities. They said straight out, "I am not hiring a (insert Black or Hispanic here). These were people making decisions for MAJOR organizations.

I have also known people who will not hire smokers, various ethnic groups, or gays.

Lawsuit? Well, prove it...

Isn't nepotism 'hiring who you want' and leaving out those you don't?

I guess if you own a business you can do what you want with it. Like I said, you have to prove it...good luck.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've known people who will not hire minorities. They said straight out, "I am not hiring a (insert Black or Hispanic here). These were people making decisions for MAJOR organizations.

I have also known people who will not hire smokers, various ethnic groups, or gays.

Lawsuit? Well, prove it...

Isn't nepotism 'hiring who you want' and leaving out those you don't?

I guess if you own a business you can do what you want with it. Like I said, you have to prove it...good luck.
Actually there are legal precedents that allow employers to refuse to hire smokers. Personally I wouldn't hire one--they STINK. I wouldn't hire someone with BO, why should I hire someone who has an equally offensive odor from smoke or the types of food they eat? None of that is a protected class.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
How is you discriminating against smokers or a drug user any different than someone who is black or gay? It's not!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
How is you discriminating (???) against smokers or a drug user any different than someone who is black or gay? It's not!
What? It's very different. Blacks and Hispanics have nothing to do with driving up insurance rates and costs that a company pays for one and two one can control if they smoke or not, (if they really try), you can't control if you are black or even gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment