U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM

284 posts, read 745,628 times

Advertisements

So after reading a few different threads on long hours it started me to think about my work habits, the hours that I'm willing to work and what I precieve as being extreme/excessive hours.

So I was wondering what is normal for you? How many hours a week do you avg., what do you consider extreme. What is the most you ever worked?

Please tell a littleabout yourself, occupation, age, area of the country you live, where you were born and raised if different, where you are in your career and how long you've been with you company.

Me- machinist, 35, married with 1 kid, born WI live in MN, working in the field for 8yrs., at my company for almost 3yrs. but just returned from being laidoff for 8mos.

I consider 45 to 50 hrs/wk normal in fact if I don't work that I don't feel right and that been pretty consistant thru my career. Extreme for me is over 60/wk. The most that I've ever worked is 84hrs in a week which I refuse to do ever again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 PM

30,851 posts, read 37,458,074 times
Depends on the job. Navy at sea it's often 4 and 4 or 4 and 6. When I worked for a railroad we would work 12 on and 8 off when busy. We had an accident once that I worked 48 straight (I was in management). At the glass plant double shifts were common for labor. Teaching is the regular day and some people put in 6 or 8 after that correcting papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment