Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:10 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,887,841 times

Advertisements

PLEASE excuse any typos, grammar mistakes, or any babbling.. I'm just a bit annoyed right now!

We all hear about how high unemployment is. We all hear about how hard it is to find a job. OK. With so many people looking for work, wouldn't you think company's would pick the best out of the best? To me, this makes perfect sense. If I had a company that was hiring, and a bunch of people needed jobs..well, lucky for me I'd get to pick the absolute best of the bunch!.. Right???? I mean this all sounds so logical to me!

Lately, at places like diners and retail..the service has been awful. I normally don't care too much about customer service as I've worked it before. I understand after awhile it just.. gets to you! ...but this one waiter was horrible. We got to this dinner at 11:45pm and they closed at 12 (we didn't know, actually). The manager was still letting people in after 12 and our waiter was getting P.O'd.. lol..and just.. was awful. I expect just basic customer service, that's all. That was one experience. I've had a TON of rude cashiers lately, too!

I can't say I have some super awesome long tern job, but it pays pretty well and our company is fairly new and upcoming. There's lots of options to move up, so it's a good thing...but...they hire such wastes. The people there act very much like we are in high school, however, they are in their late 20s and UP...up to about 40's-50's. Maybe I'm just not with this crowd of people at work.. lol

For example, people from my work totally ignore certain dress codes and other policies...and they actually spend more time taking pictures of themselves in their cubicle at work.

I wonder as to why things are like that? Not that I wish to work in an uptight environment, but at the same time we need some professionalism. I am by far the prime example of professional..but.. I'm there to work and that's it.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs084.snc1/4890_116885549953_504874953_2942720_7100084_n.jpg (broken link)

Here's just one example. That's actually from a friend of a friend's...friend.. (lol Facebook is out of control)

That's actually a worker on the clock at work.

So besides the people at my job, and the unfortunate experiences I've been having lately..what's your take on this? Are there a lot of "undeserving" people with jobs out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
I dunno.

I help run a package delivery company in Denver, and now, with this down economy, we have the worst team of drivers we've ever had. We had a great crew when things were good.

We're hiring now, I just hope that we can find guys/girls with brains.

I don't think it's the best of the best who don't have jobs right now, probably just the 10% that only have jobs when times are good.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:34 AM

233 posts, read 741,029 times
As far as people taking pictures at work, let me guess are they women? Most of the women I worked at with in my last position thought work equaled social hour. Showing off pictures of their kids, bringing crap into the office they bought over the weekend to show everyone, sharing baking recipes . . . and you wonder why women get payed less. Don't get me wrong I love working with women just not the kind that bog down the whole department.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,887,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I dunno.

I help run a package delivery company in Denver, and now, with this down economy, we have the worst team of drivers we've ever had. We had a great crew when things were good.

We're hiring now, I just hope that we can find guys/girls with brains.

I don't think it's the best of the best who don't have jobs right now, probably just the 10% that only have jobs when times are good.

Hmm..
Well even if 10 bad people applied, you should at least pick the best of the worst, right? lol
Maybe that's what happened with my company? :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
As far as people taking pictures at work, let me guess are they women? Most of the women I worked at with in my last position thought work equaled social hour. Showing off pictures of their kids, bringing crap into the office they bought over the weekend to show everyone, sharing baking recipes . . . and you wonder why women get payed less. Don't get me wrong I love working with women just not the kind that bog down the whole department.
..Actually yes. Poses from their desk from other workers (as provided with the link in the OP)..poses of themselves via looking up towards their camera phone......posing with other workers.

ugh

Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
per OP
in a word low wages. wages have lagged behind cost of living for a long time. our dear businesses have recruited 21 million mexican people to come into the country illegally and american business also lobbies DC to have BP go easy on enforcement. that kept wages down for awhile but did not improve service. and with enough low wage workers i must give credit mexican people know how to join together and demand things from employers and the government. we forgot how to do that.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Hmm..
Well even if 10 bad people applied, you should at least pick the best of the worst, right? lol
We don't know they're bad until they've been working for awhile.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
Yeah, nice blanket statement...
Some women go to work to work, not have social hour. Guys don't goof off?

Guess we better get ourselves back to the kitchen and make cookies while the men run the workforce like in 1930...

OP--There always will be crappy workers. They seem to hide under the radar while the good ones get the cuts. Again, like Huck says, wages are low and you get 'the bottom feeders' in a lot of jobs.

Also, a lot of 'crappy workers' have issues...the bosses are probably AFRAID to fire them.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 AM

7,969 posts, read 10,534,749 times
I think people trapped in low wage, unrewarding jobs feel more trapped and put-upon than ever. Many employers are actually taking advantage of the current economic situation and scarcity of jobs and are taking away benefits, and putting too much on just a few workers to enrich their bottom line. They know they can get away with this right now because these workers feel there are no jobs out there for alternative possiblities. What you are seeing is the resentment and frustration showing through, which can be hard to hide. I know, I feel it every day...

Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,666,203 times
Agree with montanamom. Companies seem to want "cheap", will only pay that, therefore won't expect much. Standards have sunk to rock bottom and for consumers, we are learning more and more to expect the bare minimum and just accept it "for what it is."

20 years ago, I would have been fired on the spot if I displayed the work ethic so widely accepted (and expected) in too many retails/restaurants today. Then again, I had people who actually cared "old school" laying down the laws and setting the standards. Going extinct.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM

742 posts, read 2,059,641 times
Perhaps you should elaborate. Were these "crappy workers" spared the layoffs, or were they recent hires?

Traditionally, employers layoff those they can afford to lose. The less experienced, less important staff. Those with plenty of skills and experience stay on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment