Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 AM

72 posts, read 260,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Damn.

I'm about 45 minutes to an hour away from work. In NYC that's considered pretty good.

Life sucks for people that live in like the north Bronx or Far Rockaway but, still have to work in Manhattan. That is seriously 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way..
I travel from Jersey to NYC. It's 1 hour to 1.5 hours each way depending on whether NJ transit wants to be on good behavior (on time) or not. It is a drag. I leave my house at 7:30am and get home between 7-7:30pm each night. This is just to work my regular shift of 9-6pm. It is a LONG day. It sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:22 AM

72 posts, read 260,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's REALLY good for NYC. I lived in NJ and commuted to the city my whole life (except a few years in JC after our offices were destroyed). Commute was an hour and 20 or so door to desk, not bad. I moved down near the shore about five years before retirement, and that lengthened the commute to almost two hours, but I knew my time was short and hey, there's an ocean here.

Now I work part-time for a company near the WTC. Today, though I had to go to Long Island City for an event, and that travel time was more than two hours. I can put in my time for some it, though. Not something I'd want to do again on a regular basis.

The problem with commuting to NYC is not a matter of distance, but time, connections, train schedules, the fact that the city is on islands, etc. The distance from where I live to LIC is only 55 miles, but it took more than two hours--drive to the train station, train to NY Penn, the 1 subway to the 7 subway and walk ten minutes after that. People who live in places where you merrily hop into your car and zip along because there are no people and no traffic would only need an hour or less to cover the same distance.
When I first moved to Jersey (near Newark airport), I was still working in Long Island City. I would take the bus to Port Authority on 42st then the E train to LIC. It was a nightmare. I had a number of meltdowns waiting for the bus in the evening at the bus terminal. That place will get to you. Believe me! My commute sucked so bad that I broke my apartment lease in order to move closer to the train station so that at least I could take the train and not the bus. Come to find out that NJ Transit trains are horrible as well! I finally left the job in LIC and now work near WTC. Commute is a bit smoother but still long. Wish I could find a job near home. That would be nice but highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment