Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

My commute is about 15 minutes.
Anything longer than 45 minutes is too much to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
According to my calculations, you make $6.67/hour
if you count the 4 hours you spend commuting.

That is, if you had a job that only took you 5 minutes to get
to and paid you $6.67/hour and you worked for the 12 hours/day
that you already work, you would make the same $80/day,
but wouldn't have that train fare to pay.
Sucks for sure. But I'd take $10 as an accounting intern over working at a Wendy's I can walk to for $7, or $7.5 at a current job where I grade crap all day that's 5 minutes from my house.

Today, last day of the week since it's Christmas week, one of the accounting leadership took us staff out to Whole Foods with her husband, food was on them, we left work early, and we still get paid as if we didn't. Work is a breeze, at most, I'm utilized 33% of the time (phew, compared to 95% at Wendy's and tutoring place), so there is lots of studying/goofing/etc time. The joys of working for the guvmint

Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
I don't work yet but after college I would like my commute to be 30 minutes or under.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:58 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850
... $10 as an accounting intern over
working at a Wendy's ...
That's a qualitative comparison.
The "winner" depends on individual preference.

I post this stuff because so often I see people willing to drive an extra half-hour
one-way for a small bump in pay for a not better job -- just a bigger paycheck.

You just can't compare pay-rate-to-pay-rate. You have to factor in
your cost to commute. Most people are clueless as to how to do this.

Sorta off-topic, but related:
---------------------------------------------------------------
The receptionist at work lives paycheck-to-paycheck. Every time
her car needs a repair, it's a financial crisis. Yet, every day, she
gets in her car and drives to get lunch - rather than pack one.

Ignoring the cost of eating lunch out, just getting in her car, starting
it, and driving to obtain the lunch ( stop, start the car, return ) adds
a couple of bucks to the cost of that $7-8 lunch. It's madness.

Her car needs repairs frequently because she thinks nothing
of using it to make small trips rather than combine them.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I go 40 miles one way, but it's essentially all in 5th gear, I can take the freeway or I can and usually do take an interesting backroad with a lot of curves. So commute time is quality time, mostly.

It isn't work to drive the Scirocco, the M3, or a bike on that back road.

Most people will accept up to a 45 minute commute, which is close to what I have.

I had a 1.5 hour commute in the Idaho desert back in the day, even though it was on a bus, and the bus was cheap or free, that 3 hours added to an 8 or more hour work day got old.
Under the conditions you say, I'd go up to an hour each way. Otherwise, my max is 45 minutes (which it seems is about the commute of almost every job I've had..... )

Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
My commute is 10 miles both ways. Not bad but I want to move closer to my job and from what I can see, that's gonna happen very soon.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM

55 posts, read 179,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Under the conditions you say, I'd go up to an hour each way. Otherwise, my max is 45 minutes (which it seems is about the commute of almost every job I've had..... )
I'd commute an hour. Two additional hours a day isn't terrible. Anything higher though, it'd have to be mere minutes in difference. A two hour train ride is too much. I could probably get a job in Portland and take the Amtrak there faster than Everett. (From Tacoma)

Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM

438 posts, read 946,753 times
My commute is 2 minutes by car. It's nice but is wasteful...I should probably suck it up and walk (12 minutes that way) but it's cold out. I'm thinking I should get a bike but strangely, my workplace has no bike racks. Eh.
The last two jobs I worked had a commute time of 15-20 minutes and that was fine. I enjoy being employed, and with the job situation as it is these days, I would commute as far as I had to.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomodan View Post
I'd commute an hour. Two additional hours a day isn't terrible. Anything higher though, it'd have to be mere minutes in difference. A two hour train ride is too much. I could probably get a job in Portland and take the Amtrak there faster than Everett. (From Tacoma)
It's important to look at what two additional hours really is. Even though it is 2/24s of a day, more practically it is about 2/4s or one half of your disposable free time. Less time for City Data posting for example.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Usually around 30 minutes or so which includes stopping at the convenience store for the newspaper.
How long would I accept? Don't know, it would depend on the job I guess. I had the possibility a couple years ago to work on Capitol Hill (things didn't work out) and that would have meant much longer days at work and probably an hour to an hour and half each way.
I've been known to drive 2 or 3 hours to go goose hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment