Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
Here's your answer: No. Unless you said it in a really creepy way or you weren't looking at their faces...! People are always looking for something new to be offended by.... it's getting way old.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
This thread is just ridiculous. Look up male and female in the dictionary, and you will see that they can be used as a noun or adjective.
Yes, you're right. I spoke too strongly when I said "male" is not a noun. It can be a noun or adjective. As an adjective, it means a male creature, such as an animal or plant: anything that can fertilize a female creature.

That's why it's dehumanizing. If I say, "Males are so aggressive," I could be talking about dogs or pigs.

Back to the OP, there's nothing rude or dehumanizing about being called a lady or gentleman. Miss Manners says it's OK, and I stick with what she says unless there's some specific law I should see.

By the way, a group of women can be addressed as "Ladies," but a single woman is addressed as "Ma'am." A woman can be called "a lady" ("Please help this lady to her car") but should not be addressed as "lady" ("May I help you, lady?"). Therefore, when speaking to a group of men and one woman, the address is "Gentlemen and Ma'am," not "Gentlemen and Lady." Likewise, one man is addressed as "Sir," not "Gentleman." ("Ladies and Sir.")

Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
["Male"] can be a noun or adjective. As an adjective, it means a male creature, such as an animal or plant: anything that can fertilize a female creature.
Oops, I just saw a typo and it's too late to correct it. That bolded word should be noun.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
At work I got written up for use an offense term. What was this terrible term?

"Ladies"

I was walking through the lunch room and a group of women were sitting together and I said, "how are you ladies doing today" (That is all I said.)

A few hours later I was called into my bosses office and he said there had been a complaint about me from some of the women in the room. They said my use of the word "ladies" was sexist and offense.

I tried to talk him out of putting a formal notice in my file but he would not listen to logic. He agreed I was being offensive and sexist and now I am on notice. It bordered on sexual harassment in his mind.

So, is the term ladies offensive?

I guess you might as well have said -how are you ******* doing-

Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Here's an anecdote. Teenage son held open a door for a "lady" who snapped that she was perfectly capable of opening it herself. He was upset. I told him if it happens again to say "I didn't hold it open because you are a lady; I held it open because I am a gentleman."

Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM

145 posts, read 576,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Here's an anecdote. Teenage son held open a door for a "lady" who snapped that she was perfectly capable of opening it herself. He was upset. I told him if it happens again to say "I didn't hold it open because you are a lady; I held it open because I am a gentleman."

Great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment