Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,809,481 times

Advertisements

become so emotional in the workplace when the pressure is on? Crying in front of other coworkers and havng a nervous breakdown. These women went to college so why can't handle pressure?

I'm just stunned to see grown women in the workplace CRYING!!. Talk about being emotionally unstable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,157,616 times
*pulls up a comfy chair and waits for the popcorn to finish popping*

What does college have to do with working life? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,809,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

Because in college you have DEADLINES just like you do in the real world.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
It's not that women cry. It's because men don't. Men are conditioned not to be emotional. They are more likely to internalize things.

So, with that,

Why do so many men (as compared to women) walk into their place (or ex-place) of employment and shoot a bunch of employees?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 PM

28 posts, read 91,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because in college you have DEADLINES just like you do in the real world.
Yes but bosses and managers will say some harsh things to employees that college professors won't .

Even the meanest college professors won't say things to students like their worthless, a failure, loser, etc. when their unhappy. At least not in their face.

I had a friend tell me one time his manager told tell a female employee she's too stupid to be in the work force and she should find a man to marry her if there is some guy dumb enough out there.

Very doubtful that a college professor will say that to a student.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,084,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

*going to the fridge for the six pack*

Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,061,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
become so emotional in the workplace when the pressure is on? Crying in front of other coworkers and havng a nervous breakdown. These women went to college so why can't handle pressure?

I'm just stunned to see grown women in the workplace CRYING!!. Talk about being emotionally unstable.
Okay, I'll bite. You think it's just women? A few weeks ago, a male co-worker went into a complete tizzy over a scarf. A f***ing SCARF. He thought someone stole it and he flipped out on the entire crew, all flustered and shaking-"Who stole it? I know it was one of you! Oh my God, I cannot work under these conditions! I'm going to quit RIGHT NOW." Then he called two of the other employees who had already left and asked them if they took it, then called one of our bosses and said we were all thieves.

I told him to calm down and that it was probably in his car. When he went out there, he called us from his phone, all sheepish, saying "Yeah, it's in here". No apologies for accusing us of taking his ratty POS.

So yes, men can be total drama queens as well.

P.S.-Not all women are emotional, either. Some (like myself) can be "stoic, reserved, aloof, distant, unemotional, cold"...words normally used to describe men. And I've seen men cry.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,951,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenontv View Post
Yes but bosses and managers will say some harsh things to employees that college professors won't .

Even the meanest college professors won't say things to students like their worthless, a failure, loser, etc. when their unhappy. At least not in their face.

I had a friend tell me one time his manager told tell a female employee she's too stupid to be in the work force and she should find a man to marry her if there is some guy dumb enough out there.

Very doubtful that a college professor will say that to a student.
I've once had a manager tell me that I had two weeks to "fix my hearing" or else he will have to let me go. Another time, he yelled at me to "fix my F***ing hearing." This guy had a heavy accent and no patience for repeating himself. Aside from that, my hearing did not interfere with my work performance and my boss (different guy) KNEW I had a hearing impairment at the interview (which was BEFORE I was offered the job). Thank GOD I'm long out of that place. Although I tried to keep my composure, being an inexperienced worker fresh out of college, it shook me up really badly.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 AM

648 posts, read 1,170,243 times
College has nothing to do with it. It could be argued... that it's not in womens' genetic code (generally speaking), to be out in the modern workforce. (That being said, peoples' genetic code in general is at odds with much of modern life, imo!) But for eons, most women have been in the home raising kids, feeding and taking care of people. Women's lib of course has been a great thing.. but sometimes people forget women & men are still fundamentally different. Women are generally more sensitive creatures. Then we see a lot of career women in high positions, and they may not be a crying mess.. but they're often neurotic in the opposite way- cold and cut off from their emotions, in their competition with men, to be successful, by mens' rules. Not that anyone is right or wrong here-- it's all very complex. But all that stress?? They can have it!

Then again, if I was in some corporate job with too much pressure, intrigue, and people being crazy all around me, I'd cry and have a breakdown too. I just don't think the human psyche was meant for that. Men show their frustration in other ways, while women are more apt to lose it and cry.

So they aren't necessarily 'unbalanced', and they may have other stresses in their home life that are overwhelming... and don't forget about hormones.. which really mess with your head. (both sexes.. women when it comes to being emotional, men when it comes to anger/violence..)

Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,839,041 times
Yet another misogynistic gem from TVSG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment