U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 AM

23,862 posts, read 31,784,033 times

Advertisements

The key is to fins something you like to do so much that it doesn't feel like work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM

10,087 posts, read 14,181,784 times
The other key is to live a very low-key life that requirs little money. As Jonathan Pond says, "Don't be responsible for anything that eats."
It was the first reason I didn't want kids (now I recognize all the other reasons!)
I don't think one needs to be "cut out for a career and work." Adults have to support themselves, period. How you do that is up to you, luck and circumstance.
I look forward to finding out what I do when I no longer have to work full-time for a living.
I thought I'd live low on the food chain with a benefits-part-time job,and bought a very cheap cottage that would be paid off soon. Cottage fell apart, had to build a new house that I love. (I could sell it and live in a mobile home in my town, an option I keep in mind now that I'm over 55).
I also want to give what is for me significant money to charity, and adopt multiple senior dogs. None is low on the financial food chain.
And then there's health insurance. In my most hippiest days, I still carried it, due to having been hit twice by drunken drivers and a family history of cancer.
Gave up all hope of a part-time life in my 40s, after a bad back injury at work and seeing how ephemeral earning could be.
"Career" is a whole 'nother thing. I see career as doing some work because you want to get that work done, not rising up in some corporate structure and getting ego satisfaction from same.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,419,358 times
Yes! I think there are people who aren't cut out for the 40+ hour a week grind. Absolutely.

Some have too many other responsibilities, some don't have the brainpower, some don't have the social skills, some don't have the emotional ability, some can't handle doing things they have no interest in, some have health issues, some just don't buy into this work thing, some aren't teachable - manageable - coachable, some have philosophical problems with it.

Yeah! I know plenty of people who fall into all of these categories. One person I know only "works" in his passion area and sometimes he gets paid for it and sometimes he doesn't. Doesn't matter to him. He doesn't file taxes, has never had any credit, has no health insurance, but he's always always stayed true to himself. And no he has never taken public assistance.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

536 posts, read 1,158,183 times
Not sure I am cut out for a career. I am very hands-on, but the further I get in my career I find myself behind a desk more and more pushing papers. So I am bored out of my mind. But then again, I have a nice salary and not sure I could trade that for something that I might enjoy more.

You need to find careers that fits your personality, goals, lifestyle etc. Then narrow it down by what you can/cannot live without. Like buying a house

Some say to be your own boss, but that is a lot of work. And I mean lot's of work!!

The best thing to do is switch it up once in a while. I change jobs about every two years. That helps. But even branching off into other fields, or simply another department helps too.

Who you work with can make a huge difference as well. If you work with a bunch of yes men it can get old pretty quick. Employees that don't share your interests, and age differences can make a huge difference in your work experience. Sounds strange, but I went from one job where everyone was my age and either just getting married or single, and we shared common interests, to my current job where my coworkers have kids my age and talk about their grandkids. So, needless to say, they aren't interested in talking about the latest video games with me

It could be your career choice. But, from my experience, that isn't always the case. In looking at other career possibilties, I will never be happy . Content maybe

For the record, 40hours/week sucks!! But hard to get away from it.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 AM

27,651 posts, read 21,530,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I work more than 40 hours per week, but it's not because I'm in love with my job, lol. It pays the bills. I am currently working on paying down ALL debt so that I can get out from under having to work my behind off just to pay the bills. Once I'm out from under the debt that I've accrued (mainly from being unemployed for one year), I will focus on maybe starting my own business and will never, EVER go into debt again (even if unemployed).
Ding ding ding. You've said something very important here.

For many of us, the job is a means to an end--to pay the bills, to fund a certain lifestyle, etc. The job itself is not the be-all and end-all to life.

Of course, if you have a job that is sucking the life out of your soul, that's going to throw all that off-balance.

I didn't set out in life to do what I do, but I like my job. It's just not my entire reason for living.

I also don't "need" a lot of things other people think they need. I've never owned a brand-new car, and don't care if I ever do. I don't have the latest of this or that, and don't care if I do. I'm not competing with my neighbors or acquaintances. I don't plan to work until I'm 67 just so I can maintain the "right" house or whatever.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM

6,577 posts, read 8,207,412 times
If we all decided not to have kids because society makes it too hard to afford them, our species would die off in a generation or two.....maybe that's why Mother Nature set it up in a way where there'd be lots of risky "accidents".

Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

798 posts, read 1,052,443 times
Most six-figure jobs in America are 60 hours a week, so if 40 sounds like a lot to you, you're in trouble. Small businesses typically entail even more hours.

Someone asked above how anyone could juggle full-time work with having a family. It's really quite simple, your ability to manage time and stress gradually adjusts, and you get used to it. Remember when Algebra I was hard? and that Calc was really hard but made Algebra I look like cake? and that Analysis made Calc look like remedial math? That process happens throughout your working life.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
I don't necessarily agree. 8 hours, 5 days a week is a lot of time to be dedicated to one thing. Just because you enjoy something does not mean you want to engage in that particular activity for such a long duration of time. Everyone is wired differently.
To each his own. I'm doing accounting right now and while I love most of the people I work with, I've found that I'm not really cut out at being the 'employee', I'm much better at being the boss. I also just plain don't like my line of work. But if I could find a job working with animals I'd gladly put in 50 hours a week or more with no problem. I've been doing rescue work for over 12 years now and have never been tired of working with the dogs. Training, medicating, grooming, etc never get old for me. I could do that all day long. I'd love to find a job as a shelter Director or run a low cost spay / neuter clinic in my area if they'd start one. But they won't. The answer they've always given me is a bullet is cheaper.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM

475 posts, read 974,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've found that I'm not really cut out at being the 'employee', I'm much better at being the boss. I also just plain don't like my line of work. But if I could find a job working with animals I'd gladly put in 50 hours a week or more with no problem. I've been doing rescue work for over 12 years now and have never been tired of working with the dogs. Training, medicating, grooming, etc never get old for me. I could do that all day long. I'd love to find a job as a shelter Director or run a low cost spay / neuter clinic in my area if they'd start one. But they won't. The answer they've always given me is a bullet is cheaper.
Sounds like you have found your calling, It's time to pull the trigger and jump into business. If you are willing to work hard, you will succeed.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM

475 posts, read 974,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I often think this of myself and was wondering if there were any others out there in my boat. I would love to find a job or field that I thoroughly enjoyed. But, I haven't found it yet and doubt that I will. My plan is to never have kids or get married so that I will never need a lot of money. I never want to be beholden to any company.

Any time I have worked 40 hours a week or more I become miserable. I would prefer to work about 20 hours per week. I very quickly get bored with or burnt out from most jobs that I have had. I am also mortified of "getting stuck". When I see older fat people with kids who are stuck in their jobs and how they live in fear of losing their measly paychecks and all of the backstabbing that goes on in regards to that, it all just turns me off. I never want to end up like them.
You need to visit the local low end nursing home. You never want to end up like them! And after the visit, you will work you tail off to provide for your retirement, unless you never plan to get old.

And don't expect others and the gov. for handouts.

FYI, If you never want a companion and kids you are missing a lot in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment