Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 PM

8,887 posts, read 20,275,284 times

Advertisements

1. What do you do when your supervisor shows "favoritism" in the Department?
2. What do you do when your supervisor likes the "pay check", but doesn't like supervising/disciplining? Does not want to confront an employee who is late a lot, isn't doing his/her job correctly, etc. (you get what I'm saying).
3. Comes to your office and talks to you about your age/your job and "downplays" your recovery from a recent surgery? Supervisor says, "you should be completely healed by now, but your doctor says to you, "where did your supervisor get his medical degree from?"
Now, I have worked for this man for 4 years and he has always been "overly nice"......except to me, at times. I'm ex-military and this man basically knows/does nothing about discipline.
So, just what am I going to do about this situation? Well, if I go to HR, I could lose my job (most HR Dept. do "side with" supervisors) or I can quit.
I can not quit right now, but that is going to be my choice in a few months. Actually, the wife and are both quitting our jobs and moving to another State. I'm going to wait until after I get another job, then I will send HR and letter telling them all of the above and that it was illigal for him to talk to me about my age in my office. The EOC calls that "harrassment" and so do I.
So, what would you do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,896,282 times
Considering that you're going to be there for only a short time longer, I think I'd do exactly as you are planning to do.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,905,689 times
OH MY! First, write down every little detail that you can. If you can, legally, secretly record your conversations with subject above. Second, don't confide into people of your problems/concerns. It will get back to them. Make it your personal crusade to prove your harrassment case! Third, shop around for a great lawyer that specializes in harassment cases. Call city hall or the ABA for your city and find out who specializes in that type of situation, And lastly, write or record everything down!

Good Luck! Sorry that you're going through this!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,204,584 times
I agree with Square Peg. It's just a little while longer. You've dealt with the jerk...I mean boss for 4 years. Hang in there, don't burn any bridges, and when you go, put it behind you. You can always come to CD and vent on us!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,306,956 times
Welcome to the real world - this is everywhere. I personally would look for something else, and once I had it I would turn in my resignation with NO negative comments. You really don't want to burn any bridges because this could come back to haunt you later in life. The smile on your face when you advise your supe of your plans should be f-u enough, no need to **** them off even more.

However, if you wanted to fight the situation, you would be best advised to contact the HR department, document EVERYTHING, and check with the labor board about the laws they are and/or would be breaking by firing you for complaining about illegal activity of a supervisor. I personally prefer plan A, but plan B would work too - it just takes a lot out of a person and costs a lot of negative energy.

Good luck, and I hope that you find a place where this doesn't go on - I can't really recall a job where something of this nature was going on, but I'm sure they exist. Finding a job where you and your immediate supe have a good rapport can definitely make a difference!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Oh, I not going to do anything (need the money), but have got a letter started that I WILL send to the HR Dept. AFTER I get another job after the move to another State. I want the Job Reference, so I won't "burn that bridge" (sending a letter) until I find/am on another job.
By the way, didn't tell about the part about getting "written up" a couple of years ago. A fellow employee, in my Dept., called me an a__hole during a disagreement we had and I got "written up" over it. My supervisor told me that I didn't act "professional enough" during the disagreement. This is what I thought to myself, "I will call you (my supervisor) an a__hole and see how professional you act over it".
Another thing: Every time I disagree (or have my own opinion) about something, he tells me that I'm argueing with him. What??? I can't even disagree or have another opinion??? Is this man CONTROLLING or what.
You know, there are definitely GREAT things about being a few years aways from that "retirement age".....DON'T have to put up with crap like this anymore!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,204,584 times
I'm with ya on that, friend. 3 months to go for me!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:30 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,084,794 times
LoveBoating:

Be smarter than he is! Document, document, document! Dates, times, places, words said, etc. Even if you never have to use it, keep a journal of all these things. Don't give them any ammunition. Perhaps for the time being, only give opinions when asked.

Is there someone above him other than HR? Perhaps that's the route you should take if it gets unbearable or if getting that new job in the new state doesn't come so easily. (Are you planning to get a job before you move? That can get pretty tricky...)

Try not to stress out too much! And smile...he'll really wonder what you're up to with that!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:01 PM

I like all of your comments and THANKS for the comments.
By the way, my doctor doctor does have a letter (that I wrote him) about the comments my supervisor said to me about my surgery. During my last appointment I had with him, he said "Thanks for giving me that letter. If your company/supervisor lets you go because of your surgery/recovery time, I will be glad to stand up for you in a Court of Law".

Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,608,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
1. What do you do when your supervisor shows "favoritism" in the Department?
Document the specific incidents without appearing that you're spending too much time on it.
Quote:
2. What do you do when your supervisor likes the "pay check", but doesn't like supervising/disciplining? Does not want to confront an employee who is late a lot, isn't doing his/her job correctly, etc. (you get what I'm saying).
That all depends on your position. Many times I have been "accused" of not doing my job correctly, or lateness. Meanwhile, the one person I remember who used to make comments has since been laid off. What he didn't realize was, while he was jetting out the door at 5 on the dot, I was in the office until 9pm many nights. Also, while not "doing my job", I was working on special projects as directed by management.
Quote:
3. Comes to your office and talks to you about your age/your job and "downplays" your recovery from a recent surgery? Supervisor says, "you should be completely healed by now, but your doctor says to you, "where did your supervisor get his medical degree from?"
Now, I have worked for this man for 4 years and he has always been "overly nice"......except to me, at times. I'm ex-military and this man basically knows/does nothing about discipline.
I wouldn't work at a company run like the military. Lots of discipline, with very limited intelligence behind it. Are you sure it's him, and not your expectations? As for surgery in the military, you would know then that convalescing is not exactly an activity that the military culture supports. You remember, "suck it up, and drive on".

Quote:
So, just what am I going to do about this situation? Well, if I go to HR, I could lose my job (most HR Dept. do "side with" supervisors) or I can quit.
I can not quit right now, but that is going to be my choice in a few months. Actually, the wife and are both quitting our jobs and moving to another State. I'm going to wait until after I get another job, then I will send HR and letter telling them all of the above and that it was illigal for him to talk to me about my age in my office. The EOC calls that "harrassment" and so do I.
So, what would you do???
Talking about your age is not illegal. Discriminating for or against you is. Besides, all too often older folks are given a pass because they have "experience", when in reality it's just misplaced respect for their age. Are you sure you are being discriminated against, or is it again a case of expectations?

~TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment