U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM

5,795 posts, read 14,244,641 times
I have had past employers test employees who had odd behavior. Frankly, I think they need to test a little more frequently at some companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
NSX

865 posts, read 1,080,985 times
Stephen King, Stephen Gould, Carl Sagan, Richard Branson....

I guess we better ramp up this drug-testing and make sure unintelligent, lazy, individuals like these are unemployed.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM

677 posts, read 867,158 times
I think that it is incredibly unfair for a business to attempt to control what an employee does outside of work. If a person's work is being affected because of drug use, then the person should be reprimanded for poor work performance. But random drug tests alone are ridiculous. Who cares what a person does outside of the workplace? They don't randomly test for alcohol use so I don't see why drugs are such a big deal. If a person's qualifications and personality were enough to land them the job and they're doing the work well, what does it matter if they spend their time on weekends doing whatever they consider to be recreation?

I wonder when people are going to wake up and see that they're being controlled by their jobs and other ridiculous societal demands. There is no longer a freedom of choice. Working for anyone other than yourself makes you, essentially, a slave.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:27 PM
NSX

865 posts, read 1,080,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I think that it is incredibly unfair for a business to attempt to control what an employee does outside of work. If a person's work is being affected because of drug use, then the person should be reprimanded for poor work performance. But random drug tests alone are ridiculous. Who cares what a person does outside of the workplace? They don't randomly test for alcohol use so I don't see why drugs are such a big deal. If a person's qualifications and personality were enough to land them the job and they're doing the work well, what does it matter if they spend their time on weekends doing whatever they consider to be recreation?

I wonder when people are going to wake up and see that they're being controlled by their jobs and other ridiculous societal demands. There is no longer a freedom of choice. Working for anyone other than yourself makes you, essentially, a slave.
This basically sums up my entire thoughts on the subject. Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment