U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 7,959,383 times
Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I don't blame the salesperson at all. In fact, I sympathize with salespeople. I grew up working in a family owned retail business and then various big retailers off and on for many years as a second job. Thank goodness I worked when you did not have these ridiculous quotas. Know about the extended warranties, also -- but I was in an administrative role and didn't have to worry with them.

To all salespeople who read this -- I will be one of the nicest customers that you ever run across. I realize that generally the management could care less if you wait on me professionally. However, in return for the good service I will be a loyal customer and recommend you to my friends. I'll fill out the comment cards regarding your outstanding service. I'm the customer who rarely returns anything and never complains. What I like to vote with are my feet and dollars.

Retail has turned into a thankless profession. Everyone, please think about this the next time you enter a store.


I always loved it when I encountered nice people when I worked at Wal-Mart. I had a few people go to the manager and compliment me.

I know this isn't the same thing but last night when I went to Popeye's, I had one of the nicest people serve me. Once I was done with my meal, I got online and filled out the survey and thanked him by name.

I know in this day and age when so many people want to keep their jobs, I try to go out my way to make sure managers and etc. know that they do have workers who are working hard and treating customers well.

I started to complain about the teller at this new bank I joined but I decided not to make waves. The branch manager was nice and I really enjoyed her. The teller I encountered was VERY indifferent and even somewhat rude. I'll chalk it up to her having a bad day.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,709 posts, read 3,298,275 times
Reputation: 4580
I think in this current economy, employees want more bang for their buck so they are combining many positions once held by several people into one. And that is probably why there are a lot less marketing jobs out here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Syracuse IS Central New York.
8,211 posts, read 1,858,408 times
Reputation: 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I have been in the banking industry for 20 years and I can answer your question for you.

The banking industry has slowly been transformed into telemarketing sweatshops. The larger banks are the worst. Everyone at the retail level (ie. bank branches) is charged with the responsiblity of meeting sales goals. Each employee is expected to be "sales oriented" and is given specific goals to sell products and services. In fact, you will be evaluated solely on your ability to meet these back breaking goals.

At the teller level, you will be expected to make a sales presentation at each and every customer contact. Whether a customer comes up to your teller window or calls in on the phone, this presents an opportunity for you to present a product or service to them. You will be required to offer them "the product of the month" at each contact. Banks have "call parties" where you will be required to stay late one evening and cold call propects on the phone to sell them a product or service. You will also get to attend cheesy rah-rah meetings once a week or so designed to get everyone pumped up and motivated to sell, sell, sell.

Thankfully, I was able to find a back office job with the bank I work with now that does not require any selling. While I could probably qualify for a job at the retail (branch) level, I purposely did not apply for any for the very reason that I hate pushy salespeople and did not want to be one myself.

Small, local, independent banks and credit unions usually do not require as much selling but the large regional banks are horrible to work for.

My advise: Unless you are desparate, don't go to that second interview...............
Spot on. I used to work in banking and this is EXACTLY the way it is.

At one of those telemarketing nights, a senior manager told us that customers LIKE telemarketing calls. I considered standing up on a chair and handing him my resignation. (A friend talked me out of it.)

I did finally leave a couple of years later, and with a flourish! I have yet to regret leaving....

So how many of you bank customers out there like telemarketing calls from your bank????
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 7,959,383 times
Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Spot on. I used to work in banking and this is EXACTLY the way it is.

At one of those telemarketing nights, a senior manager told us that customers LIKE telemarketing calls. I considered standing up on a chair and handing him my resignation. (A friend talked me out of it.)

I did finally leave a couple of years later, and with a flourish! I have yet to regret leaving....

So how many of you bank customers out there like telemarketing calls from your bank????
Thank goodness for the Do Not Call list.
Of course I know there are exceptions for companies you do business with and might have a "legitimate" reason for calling you.

I worked for a place that did telephone surveys and I'd always laugh my butt off at the people who'd say, "I'M ON THE DO NOT CALL LIST!!" when the Do Not Call List applies to teleMARKETING calls. We weren't selling anything so it was perfectly legal.

About two nights ago I did a 35 minute telephone survey for a woman. I remember how much I hated people being rude to me so I decided to help her out.

I bet there is a way for people to opt out of marketing calls. When I was with Bank of America I remember opting out of one of their marketing programs. If you tell the person on the other end that you wish to be put on their do not call list, they have to honor that request.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Syracuse IS Central New York.
8,211 posts, read 1,858,408 times
Reputation: 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Thank goodness for the Do Not Call list.
Of course I know there are exceptions for companies you do business with and might have a "legitimate" reason for calling you.

I worked for a place that did telephone surveys and I'd always laugh my butt off at the people who'd say, "I'M ON THE DO NOT CALL LIST!!" when the Do Not Call List applies to teleMARKETING calls. We weren't selling anything so it was perfectly legal.

About two nights ago I did a 35 minute telephone survey for a woman. I remember how much I hated people being rude to me so I decided to help her out.

I bet there is a way for people to opt out of marketing calls. When I was with Bank of America I remember opting out of one of their marketing programs. If you tell the person on the other end that you wish to be put on their do not call list, they have to honor that request.
This was probably about 15 years ago, prior to Do Not Call lists were really around. Even if you are Do Not Call list run by the FTC, businesses that you have had a relationship with can call you, as well as charities, and unfortunately POLITICIANS!!

You can request to be put on Do Not Call lists that are managed internally by a specific business, or charity but it sometimes takes a long time for it to go into effect. The political calls are the worst of all, I've found no way at all to make them stop, but usually find a way to mess up the auto dialer by leaving the phone off the hook, don't hang up until there is a dial tone again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 7,959,383 times
Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
This was probably about 15 years ago, prior to Do Not Call lists were really around. Even if you are Do Not Call list run by the FTC, businesses that you have had a relationship with can call you, as well as charities, and unfortunately POLITICIANS!!

You can request to be put on Do Not Call lists that are managed internally by a specific business, or charity but it sometimes takes a long time for it to go into effect. The political calls are the worst of all, I've found no way at all to make them stop, but usually find a way to mess up the auto dialer by leaving the phone off the hook, don't hang up until there is a dial tone again.
Thankfully I haven't gotten a lot of robo-calls or political polling calls. At the same time, I wish someone would poll me about my political leanings.

We hardly ever answer the home phone and we're trying to get rid of it considering how little we use it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 2,541,686 times
Reputation: 5718
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post


I always loved it when I encountered nice people when I worked at Wal-Mart. I had a few people go to the manager and compliment me.

I know this isn't the same thing but last night when I went to Popeye's, I had one of the nicest people serve me. Once I was done with my meal, I got online and filled out the survey and thanked him by name.

I know in this day and age when so many people want to keep their jobs, I try to go out my way to make sure managers and etc. know that they do have workers who are working hard and treating customers well.

I started to complain about the teller at this new bank I joined but I decided not to make waves. The branch manager was nice and I really enjoyed her. The teller I encountered was VERY indifferent and even somewhat rude. I'll chalk it up to her having a bad day.

I go out of my way to let managers know their employees are nice and to fill out online surveys. I do this when I am conducting business by phone also.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: IN
240 posts, read 365,587 times
Reputation: 194
I worked for a top 10 bank in college as a teller & it was all about sales! Calling parties, writing notes, & annoying anyone that we came in contact with. It was so annoying. We were told to go after anyone without a debit card or online banking, people who had over $10,000 in the bank, & if you couldn't get your 14 referrals a week from those groups--annoy the **** out of everyone else. I worked in an area with 10,000 people. Take a guess how many of them had significant savings? Not many.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 13,369,287 times
Reputation: 21098
Yes, this is the second bank I have worked for and many are going to a "sales culture" from a "service culture." Some banks, thankfully, are not lilke this. I work for a local bank with 16 branches but it is owned by one individual and it is still about providing service, not sales.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
3,029 posts, read 3,659,500 times
Reputation: 4119
Thank you all so much for your feedback and the information you supplied. I asked more questions about the job "offer", and found out that I would have to participate in these so called "call parties", etc. I decided against it, partially because I decided my current job has more flexibility right now, and partially because of all the helpful feedback from those of you who supplied the "truth" about some of these teller positions, and from blogs I read on other websites. I have enough stress, and don't need daily sales goal pressure adding to the "mix" right now. While we do have to meet credit card application goals in the store I work in, we DO NOT have to call people and hound them at home. I just couldn't stomach that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top