U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM

599 posts, read 1,143,451 times

Advertisements

Hey i was wondering if most places really do check to see if you have a high school diploma or GED?Im currently employed with my town and they never checked on me.I did not graduate high school.I was worried when i filled out the application but i checked off i did graduate.I work with animals,dont see why having a diploma makes me any smarter honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 06:45 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,919,373 times
Honesty is the best policy. You never know what will come back to "bite" you in the future.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 PM

1,432 posts, read 2,410,124 times
It depends on the area. I had buddies who worked at the Cleveland Public Schools sell diplomas to anyone who wanted them.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,664,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Hey i was wondering if most places really do check to see if you have a high school diploma or GED?Im currently employed with my town and they never checked on me.I did not graduate high school.I was worried when i filled out the application but i checked off i did graduate.I work with animals,dont see why having a diploma makes me any smarter honestly.

Having a diploma won't make you smarter but lying on an application can get you fired and in trouble with the law.

busta

Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 PM

599 posts, read 1,143,451 times
i have another question...when i applied for my current job i checked off that i did have one.now lets say i apply for another one and am honest...what do i do/say if they ask why i said that i graduated on this jobs application?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 PM

8,784 posts, read 12,297,382 times
I worked for a large school district, and when I was hired, they never asked me for proof of graduating high school. For them, just a check in the box was fine.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:01 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,970,968 times
Each employer is going to be different, and the policy at any employer can change. Some employers will check. Some employers will just do a spot check of random applications. Others won't check. But as a previous poster said, what ends up being the bigger problem is the fact that the application contained inaccurate information. That then leads the employer to suspect you may be dishonest and/or lie about other subjects. If you think the education is not necessary for the job then respond truthfully and explain why you're qualified anyway.

As to how to best respond if asked why you previously said yes and now you say no, I'm not sure there is any one answer. Personally, I always feel honesty is best and I would explain that I understand now that I should have marked no. I think it's more likely that you will trip yourself up by marking yes and being checked then being tripped because someone noticed a discrepancy between your applications, particularly if they are with different employers. If the new job would be with a new employer, I don't see how they would see your previous application.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:08 PM

8,254 posts, read 2,188,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
i have another question...when i applied for my current job i checked off that i did have one.now lets say i apply for another one and am honest...what do i do/say if they ask why i said that i graduated on this jobs application?
Why don't you just go get your GED and end the problem once and for all?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 AM

37,757 posts, read 11,949,575 times
If the job required the high school diploma, then they probably would want to see some evidence of it. I'm grateful that I have never ran into this issue as my high school no longer exist. I do have my diploma and I'm sure I could obtain some sort of record if I needed to. Fortunately, this never became an issue as I have both a bachelors and masters degree.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 29,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
It depends on the area. I had buddies who worked at the Cleveland Public Schools sell diplomas to anyone who wanted them.
Hey ya face do u have a email or something ?my email is delaghetto21@gmail.com .. I need to ask u a few question plz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment