U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,167,438 times
If you're not going to work as hard for $8 as you would for $10 then you don't deserve to make more than $8. And if you have at least a little sense about you, that should clue you in as to why your job went to Mexico or China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM

37,587 posts, read 11,011,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goode View Post
I've always worked the same regardless of the wage. For the most part wage has increased with responsibility.
But that is only my opinion.
Same here. When I first entered the workforce, I was a senior in college and was disappointed that all I was able to get was minimum wage jobs. Nevertheless, I built up my reputation as an employee and put in my 120%.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 PM

37,587 posts, read 11,011,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out on this. I always do my best, regardless of the pay or job title. At the end of the day, I want to walk out, feeling that no one could have done as good a job as I did. It doesnt matter that the boss doesnt realize that; as long as I realize it, that's all that matters.
I also want to walk out each day feeling as if I gave my job the best that I could. As a Christian, I do my work in a way that pleases my God.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,099,980 times
It's not about ethics.
I had a job paying $10.00. The job SHOULD HAVE paid $15/hour easy. This is not 'fantasy thinking' but based on the responsibility and amount of work needed to be done.

Yet, I worked my little butt off because I wanted to 'prove myself' after being out of work for 10 years. Secondly, I don't like to be a goof off. It's not how I was raised.

However, in the long term--

I think you will get a rebound from low(er) wages---less work, less quality.
Sure they can hire someone else but it won't be worth it. Most employers don't like to rock the boat and rehiring costs time and money.

You get what you pay for!

If employers can 'do something else' to make people feel special then maybe the low wages won't be so bad. Many places had(have) perks just like free coffee and donuts or 'lunch on the company' once a month.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 AM

78 posts, read 159,722 times
Hello all,
I'm a lady in my 50's....looking for p/t have been on several interviews with a 23 yr backround in customer, clerical skills. My question is...I dont get anywhere past an interview, is it my age?? Because I do get interviewed by people young enough to be my children (no pun intented) can someone explain what it is??? I dont get it. Just want to get out abit and have diversity. Thank you for your thoughts...

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 AM
NCN

13,938 posts, read 11,363,415 times
It is called working for God. And yes, I have worked harder for lower pay and the result is that I ended up working less for more pay. People who make less money usually always work harder.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,924,307 times
I don't call it working for god, I call it personal pride. If you're too good for a job or a low wage, then you ought to be able to polish the job off in style with one hand behind your back.
I think most of us are better than our jobs, especially when younger/starting out and everywhere in a tough economy.
I work with some real lame-o's in a psychiatric hospital. I find those who don't do much or much right to be disgraceful (never mind unsafe, endangering others, and not doing right by the patients). My assistants are grossly underpaid, but they don't make any point by not doing a belongings search and letting someone getting admitted with razor blades in her bags.
One gal ( a professional peer, 'choke') is both stupid, lazy and absolutely indifferent, even to her own legal license requirements. She's an embarressment and a disgrace. I wonder why, in this economy, she isn't fired, but "management" on my level is absolutely dysfunctional.
I wouldn't like to act like trash just because other people are. I feel for my assistants who are underpaid and try to do my best working with them and thanking them for their work and efforts.
I think sometimes people feel they are sucking up if they work hard at a job or pay they feel is beneath them. I think it's a matter of personal pride. Do what you're supposed to do, whatever the job.
I was a really good waitress. I was a great copyeditor. (I was a lousy carpenter apprentice because I lack the basic abilities necessary- good wrists and good eye!) I'm a very good float night psych RN. It's not who I am (at all) but how I make my money that supports my life (and every-two-years grand horseback trips out West).
You're always answering to someone, be it a boss/system or your own customers. You don't have to view it as being controlled. It's called making your living. If you find a way to support your life, be it modest or not modest, where you don't have to put on a game face and just do the job, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM

315 posts, read 607,705 times
The employer gets what he pays for. Premium pay = premium performance. Low pay = minimum performance.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,028,115 times
When I worked for $1 an hour as a telco lineman and trades and factory were at around $4,never entered my mind,all I cared about was living.The problems that have brought us to the point that we are at is everything is now,never save and pay,also materialism,greed and corruption top to bottom.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,814,180 times
Default Don't buy me lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's not about ethics.
I had a job paying $10.00. The job SHOULD HAVE paid $15/hour easy. This is not 'fantasy thinking' but based on the responsibility and amount of work needed to be done.

Yet, I worked my little butt off because I wanted to 'prove myself' after being out of work for 10 years. Secondly, I don't like to be a goof off. It's not how I was raised.

However, in the long term--

I think you will get a rebound from low(er) wages---less work, less quality.
Sure they can hire someone else but it won't be worth it. Most employers don't like to rock the boat and rehiring costs time and money.

You get what you pay for!

If employers can 'do something else' to make people feel special then maybe the low wages won't be so bad. Many places had(have) perks just like free coffee and donuts or 'lunch on the company' once a month.
Many years ago I was hired as a Closing Secretary in a Real Estate Firm. I was excited about the job because I wanted to learn about Closing.

The job paid $8.00 an hour.

The first week I was there, there was an IRS audit of the books and I was called upon to provide information. That should have told me something right away...

I discovered that along with being the Closing Secretary, I was also responsible for A/P and A/R. That meant that I had 3 bank accounts to deal with (and they were in the process of changing banks). I was also responsible for the Agent debit accounts which hadn't been maintained for almost a year. If anyone knows anything about Real Estate, they know how many checks go in and out a Real Estate office -- and how time sensitive these things are.

Along with 36 Realtors who were now being billed for listings from months past, (that money was already spent and they thought they'd somehow gotten away without paying for their ads and other expenses)... there were 3 owners, a manager and a corporate office upstairs. Every time I would put a print out of the Agent Debit Accounts into the agents' mailboxes they would go to the manager and all the way up to the owners to try to keep from paying.

On my lunch hour, instead of giving me a much deserved break from the stress, one of the owners liked to "bring in my lunch and have lunch with me and to go over everything". btw - SHE was just coming into the office at lunch time. To her I'm sure it seemed like a nice lunch idea but in reality it meant that I really never got a much needed break. We worked through lunches.

Because I'm conscientious and I wanted things to be done right, I worked late and came in on holidays and weekends trying to get everything caught up and in order.

All of this for $8.00 an hour.

After a few months I realized why the previous secretary had simply quit billing the agents. There was just too much work for one person. And, there were just "too many chiefs and not enough indians"...

I believe that if you accept a job - any job - for $8.00 an hour you should do your very best to do whatever you're paid to do.

The unfortunate truth is that many companies take advantage of their employees. These days they're using the economy as their excuse.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-17-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment