Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

Just curious how much 'quality time' people actually have to themselves at home after work is said and done.....

I'll start:

What time do you get up?

-My alarms go off around 5:45 am and I get out of the bed about 6 am

What time do you leave the house?

-I leave at 6:50 am

what time do you get to work?

-I arrive at 8:50 am

What time do you leave work/get home?

-I leave work at 3:50 pm. If I do not make any stops, I get home at 5:50 pm. But this is rare. I try to go to the gym on weekdays, so I'll get off the train at a particular stop to work out, then hop back on and finish taking it home. So most weekdays, even though I leave work at 3:50 pm, I will get home at 7:50 pm if I stop at the gym. I take the train and obviously have a very long commute. I am considering cutting out the gym 2 days a week and doing that on the weekend, so I am getting home earlier 2 days of the week.

To summarize, I go to bed around 11 pm, so getting home many evenings around 8 pm gives me about 3 hours to myself at home during the work week.

I'm single with no kids and can't imagine having a family with my current schedule. Actually, I'm not sure how so many working moms are able to hold down full time jobs, do things like work out and still have time to help kids with homework, get them to bed, and especially cook and clean during the week. But anyways, I digress......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:55 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
What time do you get up? before 1pm

What time do you leave the house? I dont

what time do you get to work? as soon as my eyes open

What time do you leave work/get home? im home

I stay at home with the kids but when i nanny, my day starts at 7am. I go to bed most days around 2-3am.

DH on the other hand:
What time do you get up? 10am

What time do you leave the house? 11am

what time do you get to work? 1130am

What time do you leave work/get home? leave 1030pm/home 11pm

We are late risers otherwise and night owls. All of us, including kids

Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I get up at 4am, leave at 5 and driver 8 miles to a park and ride where I catch a bus to Seattle, arriving to the office at 6am. I leave at 2:30pm and get home at 3:30-3:40 dep nodding on the traffic and number of people getting on/off the bus.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
I don’t have a ‘regular’ work schedule or work location, so each day is different. I work for an audit firm conducting Insurance Premium Audits (on Workers Comp and Business General Liability policies). I travel to a business and spend one or two days there. Then I do all of my follow-up and documentation (reporting) from my home office.

But one of the main reasons that my current job is flexible/variable is because I was so sick of my insane commute! For years, I got up at 6am, left my house by 6:45am to be at work between 8:30-9am (57 miles one way). I technically got off work at 5:30pm, but it took more than two hours to drive home. One day back in 2008, there were three accidents on the interstate and it took me 3hrs and 40min just to drive home. I left work at 5:45pm and pulled into my garage at 9:25pm!!!

At least three days per week, I just stayed at the office until 6:30-7pm to wait for traffic to dissipate. I could usually make it home in about 90 minutes leaving at that time, but that still meant arriving home at 8-8:30pm.

I usually went to bed between 11 and 11:30pm. So I had a whopping three hours of down time each day…. after a hellish 114-mile round-trip commute. I finally decided that something had to change and that’s when I changed careers. I had to spend a few years as an agent to learn the insurance business and my first year salary wasn’t even half of what I was previously making. But after a couple of years, when I made the transition into auditing, I earned about 20% more than I did at my old job.
It was well worth the salary cut for a couple of years (which I realize isn’t realistic or possible for many people). I had no debt other than a mortgage (car was paid off) and enough emergency savings to cover a full year of my mortgage and living expenses and then some, if necessary. I know it’s a lot tougher for people who have spouses and/or children to support to make a change like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm single with no kids and can't imagine having a family with my current schedule. Actually, I'm not sure how so many working moms are able to hold down full time jobs, do things like work out and still have time to help kids with homework, get them to bed, and especially cook and clean during the week. But anyways, I digress......

I know several women who are seemingly super-human because they manage to do all the things you said and more! I don't know many men (if any, myself included) could do what they do. I have an enormous amount of respect and admiration for them. I hope their children recognize and appreciate the wonderful moms they have!

One woman in particular comes to mind. She is my nephew's best friend's mom and she raised two children without a penny of child support, no every-other-weekend break because the dad was long gone and she would never accept public assistance (welfare, foodstamps, etc). She worked two and three low-wage jobs and somehow made it work. Shortly after my nephew met his best friend, about nine years ago, we (my parents, sister and I) learned that he and his little sister had only got one toy each the previous Christmas. He tried to give his back to his mom so she could take it back for a refund because he knew they needed the money (and he was only 8yrs old)! We made sure that they've had a great Christmas every year since. My mom and I had to have a serious (firm) conversation with their mom to get her to accept our help....but we wouldn't take NO for an answer.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
tomorrow i dont have to leave till 9 am, friday i have to leave by 3:30 am. Monday 2:45 am. most days its about 5 am. get home, every day about 6 pm

Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 PM

461 posts, read 508,672 times
I technically work a 9-5 job. I get up at 8 and leave at 8:30. I get off at 5 and can be home by 5:30. I go to bed around 11:30 ish. But as I am a social worker most of my home visits are in the evening so I "flex" the time I worked in the evening, the next morning. In other words if I have a visit until 7:00, I go in at 11:00 the next day. But I don't have evening visits every day. If I don't have evening visits, I go to the gym right after work getting home around 7:00. No kids at home so this schedule works.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
tomorrow i dont have to leave till 9 am, friday i have to leave by 3:30 am. Monday 2:45 am. most days its about 5 am. get home, every day about 6 pm
WOW! Monday at 2:45am....I cringe at the thought! And leaving at 5am and getting home around 6pm most days sounds pretty rough as well.

How long (distance and time) is your commute?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
What time do you get up? Cat first wakes me at 5:30 am. My real alarm goes off at 6:30. I get out of bed at 6:40.

What time do you leave the house? 7:45.

what time do you get to work? 7:52.

What time do you leave work/get home? I leave work anywhere between 4 and 5 and get home 7 minutes later.

I go to bed around 11 pm.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
What time do you get up? 7:31

What time do you leave the house? I don't. I work from home. I walk downstairs and get the kids on the bus by 7:40.

what time do you get to work? I am at my desk by 7:45.

What time do you leave work/get home? I work until about 5/6 depending on what's happening that day.

I also work a part time job 3 days a week. I work 2 of those days during the week. I leave about 30 minutes before I'm scheduled to work. I get home anywhere from 10:20-11:20pm.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 AM

243 posts, read 230,047 times
I get up around 4:00 in the morning, get to work by 6:00, work an 18+ hour shift, and get home when I get home. Sometimes it's 3:00 am, sometimes it's 6:00 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment