Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,378,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I have ambition but it has nothing to do with money. and whatever is happening in your life, someone else is having a tougher time.

and as for raising a family, I was smart enough not to start one.
What does someone else's circumstances have to do with me? You couldn't have a more flawed argument. Just because someone makes a penny a day in some third world, doesn't mean I should happy with my dollar a day salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,181,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
What does someone else's circumstances have to do with me? You couldn't have a more flawed argument. Just because someone makes a penny a day in some third world, doesn't mean I should happy with my dollar a day salary.
Exactly, this race to the bottom crap is good for nobody.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
What does someone else's circumstances have to do with me?
A valid question,and certainly the one the 140 million working Americans representatives will ponder when ui extended benefits come up for renewal. After all, we have a huge deficit problem we must consider.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm glad some people here have some!
A work ethic and working hard at a crappy job are not the same thing. Giving as little as possible to an employer who gives you as little as possible is not indicative of anything at all. Someone may work very little in a dead end job and then go to class and get straight A's. Or go home and work on the Great American Novel.

Lecturing people on the value of hard work while paying almost nothing for it is the height of hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i said a lot of i didnt say most. And yes, as one who has been homeless before (and trust me its not fun) having an $8 an hour job while not great is better than nothing.
Better than nothing is still very close to nothing. Eight bucks an hour is hardly reason to be grateful.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
A work ethic and working hard at

EVERY job go hand in hand. The lack of working hard 100% of the time indicates a work ethic cannot exist.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM

640 posts, read 1,213,393 times
Without minimum wage I think the door would open for alot of people who have been now pushed out of the job market such as myself and the 50% of teenagers across the country as well as young now graduated college graduates who are just trying to get some work history under their belt. The illegals are already using low wages to compete with each other and employers like it because they can avoid taxes and pay as little as possible. Seems people are against free wages because you can't live on low wages. Well, these first of all these jobs were never meant to be lifelong careers or anything like that. That's what people are forgetting. These are stepping stone jobs. That's why you worked them while going to college or trade school so you could aim for something hire when the time was right. Bottom line is I see no problem with stepping stone jobs having open-for-discussion wages. Companies can hire, people can work and save, everything just falls into place.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Without minimum wage I think the door would open for alot of people who have been now pushed out of the job market such as myself and the 50% of teenagers across the country as well as young now graduated college graduates who are just trying to get some work history under their belt. The illegals are already using low wages to compete with each other and employers like it because they can avoid taxes and pay as little as possible. Seems people are against free wages because you can't live on low wages. Well, these first of all these jobs were never meant to be lifelong careers or anything like that. That's what people are forgetting. These are stepping stone jobs. That's why you worked them while going to college or trade school so you could aim for something hire when the time was right. Bottom line is I see no problem with stepping stone jobs having open-for-discussion wages. Companies can hire, people can work and save, everything just falls into place.

Last night, a relative who foolishly stayed home 20 years, than reentered workforce with aniquated skills, was annoyed when boss told her the cashier job she has held 7 years caps out around $11. She now makes $9.37. I had trouble keeping a straight face as I've been advising her to go back at minimum for training, community college, anything for a full decade while she kept saying "maybe next year".

Insanity is the act of doing the same thing again and again, while expecting differnt results.

Her lack of action means she can NEVER retire. We all choose our path, and we all get our consequences.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

So you agree minimum wage is a bad thing?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
So you agree minimum wage is a bad thing?
I agree a "one size fits all" minimum wage is a bad thing. With 4.5 unemployed per opening, it does nothing other than make a significant chunk totally unemployable.

I've always thought there should be a 25 and older minimum wage, but if we had any 16-24, it should be a LOWER pay rate. That group needs experience, not a few more quarters an hour. We should also allow those returning to the workplace after significant years away to WAIVE any minimum wage laws as individuals, for a set limited period of time (perhaps 1-2 years working again).

Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM

It can shift the pendulum back towards job applicants alot. I can offer to work for $3 per hour, while the guy next to me wants $6 per hour. Remember these aren't career jobs, these are stepping stone jobs. So arguing about "I can't live on that!" is irrelevant. I would have an upper hand against other applicants who wanted a higher wage. You see, it gives job applicants an extra edge. Employers can afford it.

Everyone is HAPPY! It works out for everyone! That's the beauty of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment