Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,517,235 times

Advertisements

I have never in 16 years held a job that paid $8 an hour. My immigrant, naturalized citizen parents with bad English never held a job that paid that low. Nobody in my family would even think to stoop that low, let alone actually do it. Some of us immigrants come here to get educated and make seriously nice money, not scheit wages. Otherwise why come here? We're not retards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,829,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Why do so many people think that a particular job should be worth more? It is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Just like an employee is only worth what somebody agrees to pay them. If they want to earn more then they need to make themselves more valuable.
or start a union.

basically an employee is 'worth' what he contributes to the company.

often this is way more than his wages, eg: in a company with big profits but which pays it's staff very poorly.

another way of looking at this question would be: 'how hard would you work if your pay was now reduced to $8/hr? (say you were making considerably more beforehand)

Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I have never in 16 years held a job that paid $8 an hour. My immigrant, naturalized citizen parents with bad English never held a job that paid that low. Nobody in my family would even think to stoop that low, let alone actually do it. Some of us immigrants come here to get educated and make seriously nice money, not scheit wages. Otherwise why come here? We're not retards.
how about if that was all you could get though,

how hard would you work then?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,763,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
or start a union.

basically an employee is 'worth' what he contributes to the company.

often this is way more than his wages, eg: in a company with big profits but which pays it's staff very poorly.

another way of looking at this question would be: 'how hard would you work if your pay was now reduced to $8/hr? (say you were making considerably more beforehand)
Don't get me started on unions. I have no use for them. The employee's contribution to the company is determined by the company, not the employee.

I would work just as hard regardless of the pay. Of course I would probably look for another job.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 AM

what if min. wage were abolished and you were only offered $3/hr - would you really work as hard then, especially if you knew the company was doing well?

and let's assume there were no other jobs available.

wouldn't this be a time you wished you belonged to a union?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,311,888 times
I do volunteer work for the past three years and worked for $3.25 an hour when I first moved to the US in '85...I worked lots of jobs for under $8 and hour over the years and worked hard, just as hard as when I got $11-$12 an hour and I am not a retard nor am I stupid! That's a terrible thing to say. Those "retards" are keeping countries running everyday.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 AM

23,161 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
$8/hour doesn't buy integrity. To expect values of any kind for that price is laughable.

$8/hour buys a barely functioning retard.

You are correct.
Integrity is something a person either has or doesn't.
If they don't, then even $80 an hour won't produce it and they aren't even worth the $8.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,802,433 times
Of course. If someone hires me to work, I'll work.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 AM

I thought pay was supposed to be the incentive.

and this is how the right wingers justify tax breaks for the rich.

Such hypocrisy - the great old Conservative double standard.

'you can't tax the rich too much otherwise they'll not work, but the poor should work for peanuts as it's an incentive'

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
$8/hr wouldn't pay the expenses I would incur to get to work. Gas plus buying prepared foods for a family of six. I would lose money. I wouldn't even bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment