Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
what if min. wage were abolished and you were only offered $3/hr - would you really work as hard then, especially if you knew the company was doing well?

and let's assume there were no other jobs available.

wouldn't this be a time you wished you belonged to a union?
I would never want to belong to a union period. Abolishing the minimum wage is not a bad idea. You apparently do not understand basic economics. Labor is a commodity that has a market value dpending on supply and demand. In the long run the market will prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I thought pay was supposed to be the incentive.

and this is how the right wingers justify tax breaks for the rich.

Such hypocrisy - the great old Conservative double standard.

'you can't tax the rich too much otherwise they'll not work, but the poor should work for peanuts as it's an incentive'
Again you are displaying your ignorance of basic economics.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
as you would for $10 - $12 or $15?

In other words, when it comes to the amount of effort you put out on your job, would you say that your employer...."gets what they pay for", or would you give 100 percent effort regardless of whether you were making $12,000 a year or $30,000 per year?

Just wondering, y'all

20yrsinBranson
Yes, I would. If I took a job flipping hamburgers for minimum wage then I'm going to be just as conscientious of doing my work well as if I went back to work answering phones ofr $18 an hour. I don't take on jobs just to slacken off and take home a paycheck. Maybe I just have more pride than a lot of people.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Nope and I don't give a crap if that means I have a poor work ethic.

Screw that...flipping burgers or working at the Walmart isn't as easy as people like to think it is. You could be working in uncomfortable conditions and have to lift heavy things..who knows? When they say that everyone wants something for nothing that applies to a lot of bosses as well as it does to a lot of workers. Why pay people at all? Let them come to work because they love you and their job so much.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I would never want to belong to a union period. Abolishing the minimum wage is not a bad idea. You apparently do not understand basic economics. Labor is a commodity that has a market value dpending on supply and demand. In the long run the market will prevail.
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them ignorant of economics. Also, have you never heard of the concept of monopsony employers? Perfectly competitive labor markets, upon which the classical economic theory of supply and demand is based, only exist in textbooks.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM

569 posts, read 671,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
as you would for $10 - $12 or $15?

In other words, when it comes to the amount of effort you put out on your job, would you say that your employer...."gets what they pay for", or would you give 100 percent effort regardless of whether you were making $12,000 a year or $30,000 per year?

Just wondering, y'all

20yrsinBranson
I honestly would work just as hard. I've had some really low paying jobs and at times have worked up to 4 jobs and 7 days a week just to make ends meet. Now I can work one job for which I am forever grateful. The people that work in my place of business that make the worst money, work the hardest (custodial staff for example). I know how much they earn because it is public knowledge (on the Sac Bee website).

I have worked since I was 12 (back then it was legal) and I was begging people to hire me earlier than that because I wanted my own money. The only gig I got was babysitting for family friends until I got my work permit at 12 making 2.10/hr.

I was looking to make some extra money over the holidays and was speaking to a friend that owned a restaurant. He told me he couldn't afford me since he starts at $8/hr and he seemed embarrassed. I told him this was going to be a second job and I knew what it paid so would expect no special treatment. I ended up not doing it since I REALLY wanted time off but would have certainly worked for that and just as hard as I do making more than that at my normal job.

I have appreciated every job I have had. I haven't LIKED every job I had but it kept a roof over my head and food in my fridge.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM

20 posts, read 88,049 times
I unfortunately am unable to be anything but the best. If I try to "hold back" I find I'm bored and its more torture to be bored then to just be as great as I naturally am at what I do. No matter what they pay, I'm still the bomb.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
If there are no promotion possibilities -- I work only as hard as required to stay employed.
If I'd want to be promoted, or if there were a pay raise incentive -- then I'd obviously do what needed to be done -- work the system enough -- to get the raise or promotion....IF i wanted those things.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 AM

414 posts, read 1,094,427 times
Of course I'll do my best work, regardless of how much I'm being paid or where I'm working. It's a matter of personal pride in knowing that I'm never performing in a sub-standard way. Since I started working at 15, I've held jobs that have paid everything from $5.15/hr to $50/hr. And I've given my best to each one.

As Gidgetsmidget said, I have appreciated every job I have had. I haven't LIKED every job I had but it kept a roof over my head and food in my fridge. (Sometimes just barely, which meant it was time switch jobs or take on a second one.)

Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
what if you couldn't switch jobs or get an extra one?

would you really give it your best shot for $2/hr.

unlikely in the real world I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment