Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times

Advertisements

Minimum wage in Connecticut is higher than $8/hour, so no, I wouldn't work as hard for that. I wouldn't work at all for that, while I'm in Connecticut.

That aside, yes I would work as hard for minimum wage, as I would for $15/hour. I take pride in my work, employer and union be damned. I am just as proud of being a minimum-wage cashier serving the public by selling them pens and printer ink, as I would be as a secretary in a major corporation. In fact, I tend to be more proud of the cashier work, because it's more difficult work, and your "boss" is a different person every few minutes. The fact that I not only do it, but I'm actually very good at it, gives me pride.

If I were slinging hash in a diner, I'd take pride that my hash was the best my customers have ever tasted. If I was raking muck in a pigstye, I'd take pride that the pigs seemed content and happy with their home. I take pride in the fact that I am able to work, have a job, and give it my best, and that the people who I'm being paid to please, are pleased. Anything less, to me, would be shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,906,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Minimum wage in Connecticut is higher than $8/hour, so no, I wouldn't work as hard for that. I wouldn't work at all for that, while I'm in Connecticut.

That aside, yes I would work as hard for minimum wage, as I would for $15/hour. I take pride in my work, employer and union be damned. I am just as proud of being a minimum-wage cashier serving the public by selling them pens and printer ink, as I would be as a secretary in a major corporation. In fact, I tend to be more proud of the cashier work, because it's more difficult work, and your "boss" is a different person every few minutes. The fact that I not only do it, but I'm actually very good at it, gives me pride.

If I were slinging hash in a diner, I'd take pride that my hash was the best my customers have ever tasted. If I was raking muck in a pigstye, I'd take pride that the pigs seemed content and happy with their home. I take pride in the fact that I am able to work, have a job, and give it my best, and that the people who I'm being paid to please, are pleased. Anything less, to me, would be shameful.

The 17 year old kid who took pride in how well he stocked shelves will take pride up the road at his corporate positions. The inverse is also true. How hard we work is one way we display our character.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,948,431 times
I often go above & beyond with my job & never get a "good job" comment from the company or my supervisor.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I often go above & beyond with my job & never get a "good job" comment from the company or my supervisor.
I go above and beyond and get good job comments from my customers and my employers, and my co-workers. But I don't do it for them. I do it for me. I do it because it makes me feel good, to know that I did the best job I could.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,129,824 times
Heck no. You stiff me, I stiff you. You lavish me, I lavish you.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM

29,663 posts, read 24,701,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

The 17 year old kid who took pride in how well he stocked shelves will take pride up the road at his corporate positions. The inverse is also true. How hard we work is one way we display our character.
With the utter arrogance of our typical bankster elite CEO's, I'm sure they would steal everything but the kitchen sink and move to the Cayman Islands before they would ever consider stocking shelves at the local Piggly wiggly. Then again, I could be wrong. I'm sure they would make a valiant effort to steal the kitchen sink as well...

And yes, I would work just as hard for $8/hr, if that's all my time happens to be worth. I am not going to fool myself into believing it will ever put me in a better position for the future though, that's for sure. What upward potential does a "sandwich artist" or a burger flipper honestly have? They are merely a commodity, and quite a common one at that.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
With the utter arrogance of our typical bankster elite CEO's, I'm sure they would steal everything but the kitchen sink and move to the Cayman Islands before they would ever consider stocking shelves at the local Piggly wiggly. Then again, I could be wrong. I'm sure they would make a valiant effort to steal the kitchen sink as well...

They might, and it would not change how hard those with good work ethics work, from their very first, to very last, jobs.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 29,828 times
It depends. I was paid $8/hr to wash dishes back in college. It was my only duty so I tried my best and did it well. I swiftly washed dishes and made sure they were clean. My employer fed me and treated me well. I was quite happy there.

After that, I worked for an engineering firm who paid me a yearly salary of $30,000 in Southern California, 60 hrs a week, no overtime pay, no vacation or sick days. I remember I was in a meeting and the CEO informed us that the company was doing well but he wanted the engineers to research and develop a revolutionary new product in our spare time after work. In that case, I'm sorry but you do not get the best out of me. I can only half ass my work for 60 hrs a week so I can meet the deadlines you cram down my throat. You want me to think of a genius idea that will make more money for you while I sleep or run errands late at night? No thanks.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,828,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I go above and beyond and get good job comments from my customers and my employers, and my co-workers. But I don't do it for them. I do it for me. I do it because it makes me feel good, to know that I did the best job I could.
Go above and beyond and display your strong work ethic. If it goes unnoticed, go find a new company. There are tons of companies out there where you'll NEVER be able to work your way to the top. Honestly, I'd never want to work for any of those companies because I believe that going above and beyond on a consistent basis should afford you the opportunity to be a success.

So keep working hard and if your employer doesn't notice, go find one that will.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Go above and beyond and display your strong work ethic. If it goes unnoticed, go find a new company. There are tons of companies out there where you'll NEVER be able to work your way to the top. Honestly, I'd never want to work for any of those companies because I believe that going above and beyond on a consistent basis should afford you the opportunity to be a success.

So keep working hard and if your employer doesn't notice, go find one that will.
Great Post, and I'd add, after you leave, enjoy as I have several times, all the problems caused by the new employees incompetence, and the extra expense your ex employers incurred paying recruiting fees ad infinim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment