U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,629,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The work is very physically demanding. You have to be able to load and unload luggage, boxes and other items that are extremely heavy, and you also need to be fast.
Luggage? You sure you're not confusing longshoremen (or wharfies to an Aussie) with baggage handlers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM

287 posts, read 492,805 times
Longshoreman make a lot of money because of OT. Don't become a longshoreman and think you're going to work 40 hours a week and make 6 figures. People make 6 figures as longshoreman, but they work for it.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 PM

29 posts, read 65,239 times
Default Casual Longshoreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim115 View Post
I got on by way of a lottery. It used to be that no one was hired on as a Casual unless you were family. The Feds finally forced the ILWU to open up a certain percentage to the general public.
for the entire Westcoast. I sent in a 3x5 card and it was drawn from 8 to 10,000 others from a barrel. There were 234 drawn. check out the odds. I don't expect this to happen again for many years. Keep your ears open however, because casuals aren't getting much work and many give it up. If the casual workforce drops to a low enough point the local union will publish an ad in your local newspaper for applicants. Be sharp because they don't make a big deal out of it. One ad may be it. It is very lucrative. As a regestered B-Man I can earn $500 to $800 per shift. Good luck! Jim
I was recently recieved an application for a nonregistered casual longshoreman worker. I am wondering how much can a casual worker earn and how long does it take before a casual longshoreman becomes an identified longshoreman. Also, it is worth it to become an casual longshoreman. by the way, I am a woman.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

26,946 posts, read 20,051,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone worked as a Longshoreman? I heard they get paid really good.
I was once married to one who worked on the NJ docks. You had to have a connection to get a job. He happened to have gotten out of the army and was bartending. This middle-aged man used to bring his elderly father to the bar and leave him there for a while. My ex was nice to the old man, and it turned out the son was the shop steward.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 33,228 times
Hi. I'm a longshoreman in the Pacific Northwest. I get paid well and have great benefits. If you want a real life perspective on being a longshoreman then check out my blog at:

Life On The Docks

Send me all your questions and I will do my best to answer them. 2 months ago (December 2011) they were hiring but I only had one card to hand out. If you are a female, most often you don't have to do Lashing. I would definitely think about it.

Casuals make anywhere from $16-$26 to start off.

I hope this helps.

-The Lazy Longshoreman

Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM

13,665 posts, read 15,649,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongshoreman View Post
Hi. I'm a longshoreman in the Pacific Northwest.
-The Lazy Longshoreman
Looking forward to future posts on your blog. I spend a few days a month on the docks myself, working for the Port and have a lot of respect for you
and the others, and thanks for not running over me in my little white car!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 33,228 times
Default Thanks for following my blog on longshoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Looking forward to future posts on your blog. I spend a few days a month on the docks myself, working for the Port and have a lot of respect for you and the others, and thanks for not running over me in my little white car!
Hi bisjoe,
Thanks for following my blog. Glad to have the support from a fellow longshoreman. If you have awesome photos or video footage you'd like to share feel free to send them my way and I will post them on my Facebook page: Life on The Docks.

In my latest blog I talk about using the work tape to your advantage, something which you might be familiar with. I'd love to hear your feedback. I can always use new ideas.

-lazy longshoreman
Life On The Docks

Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 15,699 times
I don't know if I'd consider them over paid, considering how dangerous the work can be. A worker at my husband's dock was killed on the job last year. Personally I think other employees in dangerous occupations should be paid more as well, rather than paying Longshoremen less.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 14,616 times
HI- What is the address that you sent the 3x5 card to? Thank you!!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM

8,004 posts, read 5,332,393 times
This work is physically demanding and can be dangerous. That's how it goes with a lot of the higher paying trade type jobs. Same thing with underwater welding. Everyone hears about how much they can make. They get paid extremely well, easily grossing 100K, but that is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. Choose your careers wisely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment