Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,142 times

Advertisements

so one of those lottery drawing came up in our home town and we were unable to receive a card from one of the long shore man so we also had to fill out one of those 3x5 cards and send it in do you fully know how the process works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim115 View Post
I got on by way of a lottery. It used to be that no one was hired on as a Casual unless you were family. The Feds finally forced the ILWU to open up a certain percentage to the general public.
for the entire Westcoast. I sent in a 3x5 card and it was drawn from 8 to 10,000 others from a barrel. There were 234 drawn. check out the odds. I don't expect this to happen again for many years. Keep your ears open however, because casuals aren't getting much work and many give it up. If the casual workforce drops to a low enough point the local union will publish an ad in your local newspaper for applicants. Be sharp because they don't make a big deal out of it. One ad may be it. It is very lucrative. As a regestered B-Man I can earn $500 to $800 per shift. Good luck! Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,247 times
Does anyone know of anyone who was able to work as a longshoreman and study at college at the same time?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,023 times
hey< my name is cliff and i was interested to know how long does it take to become a longshreman. i am a nurse right now but i hate dealing with patients. i also have a friend that wants to do it but he has a assault with a deadly weapon felony on his record. could he still become a long shoreman.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone worked as a Longshoreman? I heard they get paid really good.
The wages for longshoremen at least I think the ones in California are posted online on their Union website, and they make excellent money based on the hourly rate.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,666 times
Becoming a casual longshoreman is definitely a career move that you have to be disciplined and patient with to start off. I started off as a casual, in 2012. For one whole year, i had to be at the hiring hall from morning til night just to collect enough hours to eventually get promoted to a B level longshoreman. It is not an easy task!! The benefits of getting a B book are a huge reward; however, the casual phase can be a long and arduous journey. It seems like you will never make it to the next level, but just prepare yourself, be patient, determined, and stay focused. It will happen as long as you want it bad enough. Just 13 months ago, I was reading blogs on how to become a longshoreman...I am happy to say, I am now a B level longshoreman that will never forget the grueling year I spent as a casual! Stay strong, and never give up, or get discouraged. Good Luck!!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,626 times
Hi! my name is Ted Murray i would like to know if you could email me any info of becoming a Longshoreman please I'm very interested in becoming one and I currently drive a truck for Swift. The money is great but i'm burnt out now and need a change. My email is: tcm3126@gmail.com THANKS A LOT MAN!!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 AM

769 posts, read 976,860 times
My ex hubsand was a longshoreman but mostly did 2 week stints. He gets paid very well for two weeks on and two weeks off. From the spouse of being one it is VERY hard on your marriage. You need to be able to handle the day-to-day issues with the house hold. If something breaks you have to know how to handle it. It isn't easy. Also the DOT does a background check which can be equal to a security clearance. Also need to get a TWIC (sp) card which requires more background checks. drug testing is regular.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone worked as a Longshoreman? I heard they get paid really good.

On The Waterfront "I could have been a contender" - YouTube

Old 05-09-2014, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,280 times
My father was a long shoreman, is it true that you can be grand fathered in as his relative and claim his spot?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssski40ste76014 View Post
My father was a long shoreman, is it true that you can be grand fathered in as his relative and claim his spot?
You asking us? I would think you would know. I highly doubt it, you father proably could have gotten you in the longshoreman's Union, but you would start at the very bottom along with everyone else. Existing Union members would not be happy if you were just able to slide into your fathers seniority slot when he retired, that would never fly.

My father-in-law is one of the top guys in the Union right now (Seniority wise). He's due to retire soon. They only open the books (accept new members) every so often, so dispite knowing him, even he couldn't get me in right now. If the books were open, he could get me in. I wasn't interested before since I had a good Tech job in the Government, that was before the layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment