U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM
 
589 posts, read 1,657,355 times
Reputation: 638
Default Longshoreman

Has anyone worked as a Longshoreman? I heard they get paid really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
8,349 posts, read 10,926,693 times
Reputation: 4539
Longshoremen do get paid really well. But it's a union job, and there are people that are already in the union waiting for an opening so they can get on the list to apply. By being in the union they are also eligible to work as extra labor. Longshoremen jobs do not open up very often. I used to work at a Cruise Ship Terminal and met many longshoremen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
14,648 posts, read 16,103,249 times
Reputation: 18557
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone worked as a Longshoreman? I heard they get paid really good.
When I lived in Corpus Christi back in 1983, I worked for an attorney who handled workers compensation claims for longshoremen. As I recall, they had a very strong union then. I don't know if that has changed in the past 20 years or not.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM
 
26,153 posts, read 18,636,607 times
Reputation: 23297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I lived in Corpus Christi back in 1983, I worked for an attorney who handled workers compensation claims for longshoremen. As I recall, they had a very strong union then. I don't know if that has changed in the past 20 years or not.

20yrsinBranson
My ex was working as a longshoreman when I met him. The pay is good and the union is powerful, but in NY/NJ at least, you usually have to know someone to get in, aka your rabbi. My ex was bartending after he got out of the army, and this little old man used to come in and sit at the bar for a few hours and then his middle-aged son would come pick him up. My ex was nice to the old man, and it turned out the son was connected to the union.

I don't know if it works that way everywhere, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
8,349 posts, read 10,926,693 times
Reputation: 4539
Yes, you have to be a union member to get a longshoremen job. The openings are few are few and far between, and when there is an opening, there are hundreds of union applicants that apply for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 04:31 AM
 
1 posts, read 23,237 times
Reputation: 12
I got on by way of a lottery. It used to be that no one was hired on as a Casual unless you were family. The Feds finally forced the ILWU to open up a certain percentage to the general public.
for the entire Westcoast. I sent in a 3x5 card and it was drawn from 8 to 10,000 others from a barrel. There were 234 drawn. check out the odds. I don't expect this to happen again for many years. Keep your ears open however, because casuals aren't getting much work and many give it up. If the casual workforce drops to a low enough point the local union will publish an ad in your local newspaper for applicants. Be sharp because they don't make a big deal out of it. One ad may be it. It is very lucrative. As a regestered B-Man I can earn $500 to $800 per shift. Good luck! Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
 
1,677 posts, read 2,771,235 times
Reputation: 1312
It would be easier and you would have a better chance to become an Astronaut than get a longshoreman job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
 
8,117 posts, read 6,110,414 times
Reputation: 3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim115 View Post
I got on by way of a lottery. It used to be that no one was hired on as a Casual unless you were family. The Feds finally forced the ILWU to open up a certain percentage to the general public.
for the entire Westcoast. I sent in a 3x5 card and it was drawn from 8 to 10,000 others from a barrel. There were 234 drawn. check out the odds. I don't expect this to happen again for many years. Keep your ears open however, because casuals aren't getting much work and many give it up. If the casual workforce drops to a low enough point the local union will publish an ad in your local newspaper for applicants. Be sharp because they don't make a big deal out of it. One ad may be it. It is very lucrative. As a regestered B-Man I can earn $500 to $800 per shift. Good luck! Jim
That is what I understand, too. It used to be like the UAW, where only the relatives of existing members, then friends recommended, could get in. And I have heard of lawyers and accountants applying. I don't think the work is nearly as physically demanding as it once was. Can you confirm that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
8,349 posts, read 10,926,693 times
Reputation: 4539
The work is very physically demanding. You have to be able to load and unload luggage, boxes and other items that are extremely heavy, and you also need to be fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 AM
 
8,270 posts, read 5,495,901 times
Reputation: 4583
The epitome of overpaid union job, get in line.

That's the union that (in)famously fought the introduction of bar code readers since they had guys making 90k writing down big numbers in pencil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top