Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:17 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

Way people dress to put an application in or go for an interview. I just applied at CF in a $300 suit. I was turned away because I only had a year experience yet a lady wearing JEANS AND A SNOWFLAKE SWEATER got an instant interview..WTF????? I don't care if she has more experience. First impressions are EVERYTHING!!!! Not to mention a very young guy who got hired right then and there was in jeans and sneakers!!!!!! I have open availability and this guy has school 3 days a week, yet he was hired!!! Maybe I should start going looking like shyt and then I'll get hired..Unbelievable..

I'm so aggravated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
I have no answer. I have ran into this time and time again in the Atlanta area.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
That does show you that it is important to dress well but an interview is more than putting on a $300 suit. FYI $300 for a suit really isn't a lot of money to spend. Maybe if you had spent $2200 you would have the job. Just something to think about for your next interview....so get suit shopping and put on a more expensive suit and you will have that job. To hell with your skill sets

Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Way people dress to put an application in or go for an interview. I just applied at CF in a $300 suit. I was turned away because I only had a year experience yet a lady wearing JEANS AND A SNOWFLAKE SWEATER got an instant interview..WTF????? I don't care if she has more experience. First impressions are EVERYTHING!!!! Not to mention a very young guy who got hired right then and there was in jeans and sneakers!!!!!! I have open availability and this guy has school 3 days a week, yet he was hired!!! Maybe I should start going looking like shyt and then I'll get hired..Unbelievable..

I'm so aggravated!!!
To the employer, your suit and qualifications were not as important as what the snowflake lady brought to the table.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,975 times
You have to dress to match the profile of the job. I don't know what CF is, maybe they are looking for someone that does not own a suit?

FYI, when I hire I want to see what type of car/truck they drive. That tells me a lot about a person. Plus after the hire, their tools tell a lot too.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
CF=Cheesecake Factory. It's not the highest end place but not the lowest end place either. You SHOULD NOT apply in jeans to ANY job..

Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Dress for the job. Sometimes a suit is right. For other jobs, jeans are appropriate. In my opinion, applying to CF in a suit screams overqualified. Unless you are buying a franchise or applying to be the manager.

The best I would dress for CF is slacks and a dress shirt.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
I just went to a banking job fair today that was interviewing "on site" for one of the big 3 banks. I was absolutely appalled at what some of the people were wearing. Seriously. Deathly finger nails, floozy makeup (lol!), bright red toenails, open toe shoes, jeans, low cut sparkly shirts, flip flops, micro mini dresses, tennis shoes. Now granted Phoenix is a bit "casual", but if you aren't going to do the "full blown suit" thing, I was always taught the general rule was at least (not "at most") "one step up" from what the regular work wardrobe would be. (Ie if they are wearing polos and khakis, wear a button-down no tie and dress slacks for men etc).

Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
Again, I am shocked at what people wear to interviews. I am also surprised at what some people wear to work, even when there is a dress code.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
CF=Cheesecake Factory. It's not the highest end place but not the lowest end place either. You SHOULD NOT apply in jeans to ANY job..
Eh, where I work the majority of the applicants for the skilled blue collar jobs and unskilled labor jobs apply wearing jeans. If they applied wearing a suit we'd think they were crazy. Now and then they'll wear chinos and a golf shirt.

But for pretty much anything else--especially a job working with the public like retail or food service, at least put on slacks and a dress shirt or a blouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment