Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 AM

78 posts, read 259,408 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm a lady in my 50's....looking for p/t have been on several interviews with a 23 yr backround in customer, clerical skills. My question is...I dont get anywhere past an interview, is it my age?? Because I do get interviewed by people young enough to be my children (no pun intented) can someone explain what it is??? I dont get it. Just want to get out abit and have diversity. Thank you for your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 AM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I notice this question has been in several threads, which is likely why it's not getting answered elsewhere.
Age is certainly no help in any job interview these days, and not for the kind of job you want (as I believe a lot of people are also looking and they might be more suitable or more motivated).
"A few interviews" are only a few. People have posted about going on many interviews for all kinds of jobs.
If you want to "get a out a bit and have diversity ??", how about volunteering?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 AM

78 posts, read 259,408 times
I do volunteer also, ty for your input...I might just pack it in. I have a degenerative disc problem so I'm starting to get limited for what I'm looking for anyway

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I am a woman approaching your age and the best advice I can give you is

#1) Check your appearance. Make sure you look as neat and professional as possible, and not "matronly". If you're unsure about this, ask someone to "critique" your interviewing "look", or go to the department store and ask someone to show you some "classics" for work. Also, make sure you're hair is not aging and is in a flattering shade and cut. I believe appearance counts for at least half of how you are assessed in an interview. Then comes your verbal skills and how you converse with the interviewer, and the rest is prior experience and qualifications, in my opinion and depending on the job.

#2) If you don't already have a good, working knowledge of today's technology, at least the basics, go to some classes and learn it. At least know the essentials in regards to computer usage and cell phones, etc.
I don't believe that age is as big of a deterrent to getting hired as many of the posts on here believe it is. I do interviewing and make hiring decisions in my current job and have hired people from 16 to 70. I am old enough to be my own suprevisor's mother, and we get along great. It's not your age, but appearing and behaving like you fit into TODAY'S working world, and into the particular job you are interviewing for. Don't give up!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
If you just want to "get out" you might consider joining some clubs. Here is a good one: GFWC (General Federation of Women's Clubs, gfwc.com). They are all over the United States and you can be involved as much or little as you like. Florida even has a cyber club. They have "meetings" and do service projects online and attend the state convention in "real life". Please DM if you're interested -- I am an officer of a club in Georgia.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:38 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
People in their 50s ARE NOT OLD people. They are the ones with wisdom and experience.

I can't stand this 'obsession' with youth. People of all ages get hired all the time. Same for the neat and pin clean powersuits to the slovely, grey haired beatniks.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,129 times
I agree with the previous suggestions on ensuring that you present a vital and updated professional image.

However, I believe that the challenges of finding work for people over 50+ might also have to do with the current messy health care insurance situation.
People over 50 are expensive to insure as many have chronic health conditions. For a small business owner hiring such person might raise the insurance premiums for the entire group.

As you are looking for a part time position you may not be concerned with securing health insurance coverage. If this is the case try making a brief mention during your interview that you receive health coverage elsewhere and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
I agree with the previous suggestions on ensuring that you present a vital and updated professional image.

However, I believe that the challenges of finding work for people over 50+ might also have to do with the current messy health care insurance situation.
People over 50 are expensive to insure as many have chronic health conditions. For a small business owner hiring such person might raise the insurance premiums for the entire group.

As you are looking for a part time position you may not be concerned with securing health insurance coverage. If this is the case try making a brief mention during your interview that you receive health coverage elsewhere and see if it helps.

Good luck!
You're so right.
Try telling that to a Republican.

People 50+ better be voting in the upcoming midterm election.
People who are 50+, the uninsured and the unemployed all need to be out voting for the party that is trying to fix this problem
instead of buying into the fear rhetoric that the Republicans are selling.

If nothing is done about the high cost of health insurance, then we all better be ready and able to retire at 50.
That means you need to be ready and able to pay for your own health insurance until you reach Medicare age... which is currently age 65.

Health insurance premiums for people over 50 are a big bill every month... especially when you can't find a job.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-17-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Try not to dwell on your age at all - think about what you can do for the employer and present that image. There's a big variety of people over a certain age, some are counting down the days until they can retire, some have just started a new career and are energetic and gungho.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
As far as the health care system goes in this country, I'm not happy with either side, but anyone who is ignorant enough to believe our system in it's current form is not broken for many, must be lucky enough to have a great job with affordable coverage - or a lot of independent wealth. But that's another forum thread.

I am going to college outside of my job right now to get a degree towards a career I always wanted (hopefully one that also allows me to afford insurance coverage!). Many of us near or at the 50 year mark are still looking at 15 to 20 more years of working. I think work is a good thing and keeps you vital adn interesting, but only if you continue to learn and get at least some satisfaction and enjoyment in what you do. At 49, I'm at the age where "It's never too late", but I also realize it's Now or Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment