Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Recently one of our employees was fired but what shocked me was that it was sent as an email the next morning to all staff letting every know that the person is no longer with the company.

I just figured everyone would find out about the firing through other coworkers as the days went on. That never happened on any of my previous jobs when someone was let go. You just heard about it and them moved on.

Did anyone have a similar situation when someone was fired at their job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 PM

45,316 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Oh for God's sake.
YES it's standard procedure to let the staff know when a supervisor is no longer there, for whatever reason. Which is never stated in the communication. You guys need to know who is your new immediate supervisor. It also should serve to put a lid on office gossip, which doesn't seem to work for you.
A low-level staff member, such as yourself, probably not, although it would most likely be mentioned at the next staff meeting that you'd "moved on to other endeavors and opportunities".

Are you really 34 and have had other jobs?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh for God's sake.
YES it's standard procedure to let the staff know when a supervisor is no longer there, for whatever reason. Which is never stated in the communication. You guys need to know who is your new immediate supervisor. It also should serve to put a lid on office gossip, which doesn't seem to work for you.
A low-level staff member, such as yourself, probably not, although it would most likely be mentioned at the next staff meeting that you'd "moved on to other endeavors and opportunities".

i had other jobs FLUFFY but they never informed the staff through email. You just found out in the bathroom or outside during lunch.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Recently one of our employees was fired but what shocked me was that it was sent as an email the next morning to all staff letting every know that the person is no longer with the company.

I just figured everyone would find out about the firing through other coworkers as the days went on. That never happened on any of my previous jobs when someone was let go. You just heard about it and them moved on.

Did anyone have a similar situation when someone was fired at their job?
Yes, sometimes it's done as rumor control, they figure if they tell you first, the gossip doesn't get to be the only source of news.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
You ask the weirdest questions. Have you never worked in an office before? Because you sound like you've just woken up one day and realized the way an office or company functions.

They send out emails so people don't naively ask "Where's so-and-so?" or refer other people to them for information or help, or send them emails or voice mails. It is just common courtesy.

A company that doesn't do this is also usually bad at recognizing their employees as valuable human staff rather than simply robots or line items on a spreadsheet, and very bad at sharing other information such as changes in company policy, recognizing accomplishments, etc.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i had other jobs FLUFFY but they never informed the staff through email. You just found out in the bathroom or outside during lunch.
Then you worked at places with crappy management.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,972,970 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, sometimes it's done as rumor control, they figure if they tell you first, the gossip doesn't get to be the only source of news.
Absolutely, yes!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
Quote:
Oh for God's sake.

Yes! Every time at my last job someone was fired or left HR sent us an email stating the same thing. This way it stops the speculation and wondering. It shall happen about you when you get fired, laid off or leave.

Why the heck are you being so rude to North Beach Person? She just answered your question. Fluffy my bum.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes! Every time at my last job someone was fired or left HR sent us an email stating the same thing. This way it stops the speculation and wondering. It shall happen about you when you get fired, laid off or leave.

Why the heck are you being so rude to North Beach Person? She just answered your question. Fluffy my bum.

North Beach Person is a HE.
TVSG is sometimes rude to me because I get tired of his incessant threads asking questions that anyone of his age should know the answer to, or be able to figure out using native intelligence and common sense.
Plus some of the other things he says makes me wonder if he has been particularly sheltered in his short (compared to me) life. You ought to see what he asks, and talks about, in Relationships.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Another reason that an email notice might be issued is to let employees know not to allow that person back into the building or floor. If a co-worker knocks on the door and indicates he/she doesnt have his/her cardkey, you may be inclined to open the door. But, if you know that person was fired, you shouldnt let him/her in for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment