U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM

926 posts, read 1,147,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I know this poster from another forum - in fact he's here because I mentioned CD there (my bad lol)
Actually thanks for steering me this way Opyelie, it's been productive use of my time here. Lots of interesting topics to find on CD, I must say...with valuable opinions from new folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM

458 posts, read 417,436 times
The company I work for have anonymous surveys. I like them and I am as honest as I can be. It’s really the only way to get what you want.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,161,287 times
I would answer it honestly only if it were anonymous. And I would definitely express how I feel --not mean and nasty and pissed off. Just be professional and direct and point out things that are questionable, appear unfair, etc.

Use words like, "I don't understand why . . ." and "I am confused by the . . ." or "I am disappointed by the . . ." or "I have always wondered about .. ."
or "Why is it that some people ___ and others cannot?" Just stuff like that.

Absolutely refrain from including any terminology related to your gender, # of years you've worked there, things you prefer, and anything of a personal nature that may hint that it's you. Enjoy your survey!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 PM
NSX

865 posts, read 1,128,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
My employer has a procedure whereby we're to complete surveys about our supervisor and manager. Has anyone here ever completed such a survey?

The relationships with my supervisor+manager has been pretty shaky and I'm not sure if I should go all out or restrain myself? What do you suppose are the pros and cons of being totally honest with the reviews of your bosses? Plus, what types of issues would you mention that don't sound too critical?
I'd say that there are some communication problems between us and standards are not always applied to everyone uniformly. For example, some colleagues get telecommuting, others don't, sometimes my supervisor doesn't answer important emails, thereby affecting me negatively, etc...
I guess this depends. If you think that this could get back to your manager in someway, protect yourself, and like others said, don't say anything you wouldn't say to his/her face.

However, if you sure it's completely anonymous - say what you feel and go all out.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 22,877,391 times
I guess the question I would ask is if you think the survey might influence upper management to improve things. If you think there is a fair chance of that, and are reasonably sure of anonymity, be honest. As previously posted, clearly state the issue "I expected A when working here, but generally I get B", without blaming anyone in particular.

If you think things are not going to improve, I'd suggest holding back on the survey, and direct your energy towards finding a better position, either in this same company or some other one.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 2,573,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I would say NOTHING I wouldn't say to their faces. Sorry, but I don't believe there's no way they can figure out who gave them a negative comment.
This is my opinion as well.

We didn't have to do a survey - it was actually part of my evaluation process in one of my previous positions. VERY intimidating. There were several issues at the time and I had the choice of sitting back and not saying anything...and having the issues continue; or be honest about it and hope for the best. I worded my responses (written) very, very carefully. Turns out that being honest worked in my favor because thankfully my supervisor took it well and many of the issues were worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment