Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times

Advertisements

Can anyone else? I mean this is so typical on several levels.

One, you get a job, but the company wants to bring back the person you replaced, so you get ousted.

Two, you're not given enough time to get up to speed and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Three, you get the boot due to actions of others.

Four, your co-workers and others know what's going on before you do.

Five, in order to get you out you're told what was once good is now bad and what was once bad is now good.

Six, they relocate you across the country and then shortly thereafter, want to get rid of you.

Seven, even after being told you are getting the boot, you have to keep working for a period of time, which is a bit awkward.

It's interesting to me to see this played out on such a big and public stage. I feel like Conan is speaking for a lot of workers everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Really? Because I don't think Conan has to worry about paying the mortgage or rent. They are essentially breaking his contract and I imagine he will get a nice payday.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Eight - Your employer gives you $30 million as a consolation prize
and other networks are chomping at the bit to hire you.

Yeah - I can relate.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

Yeah - I can relate.
no kidding

Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM

96 posts, read 620,005 times
Both he and Jay Leno are multimillionares,so honestly,who the hell cares?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I'd love to be in Conan's shoes. He gets 30 million--more than enough to live on for the rest of his life, and can do two week stints every couple of months in Vegas on top of it.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Too bad neither him or Leno are funny.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I have more sympathy for the staff who uprooted their families to follow O'Brien to LA to work on the new show -- and have no such "buy-out" clauses.

Thus far, negotiations have included no compensation for them. O'Brien has mentioned that he would like to use them on any show he gets in the future, but it could take months for a show to be mounted on a different network, like Fox.

Just FYI -- in 2008 when the writers and some staff walked out during negotiations with NBC over a dispute about multiple media residuals, Leno continued to pay The Tonight Show writers and staff out of his own pocket to keep them solvent until the walk-out could be settled. At least he demonstrated that he understood the value of loyalty in a business notorious for the lack of it.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Yeah, the staff is getting messed over, too. That's not good.

I don't have an issue with the fact these guys are highly paid. It's the market price for what they do. There's what, 6 people in the world who do that job? Being highly paid is not job protection.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Yeah, the staff is getting messed over, too. That's not good.

I don't have an issue with the fact these guys are highly paid. It's the market price for what they do. There's what, 6 people in the world who do that job? Being highly paid is not job protection.
1) Yes, I do have an issue but that is beside the point. Conan is not in his situation because he is highly paid.
2) To the OP - This scenario became more frequent in recent times. I heard several similar stories and I also had bad experiences.
3) My question is simple - If the planning of the night talk shows at NBC was wrong, why does Conan have to leave and the executives who planned the fiasco remain? Shouldn't it be the other way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment