U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM

173 posts, read 628,178 times

Advertisements

Hello good people---

I wanted to find out MORE information about travelling jobs. Has anyone had a travelling job and loved it or hated it?

How long does it take for a person to become "burned" out from travelling?

I was offered a job that pays OK, but it involves travel throughtout the US. Some months I might only travel 6 days a month and other months it might be more. If you work a job that requires travel what do you do on the days that you arent flying across the US?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 46,038 times
Hi,
I know you were wanting info about travel but I cannot help. I myself am wanting a job in travel and was wondering if you could tell me what field you are in to have this opportunity. If you could give me info that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,684,408 times
It depends on where I am travelling to!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 PM

520 posts, read 1,338,804 times
My wife is a consultant and is usually at customer sites from monday through friday. She flies home Friday nights and flies out Monday mornings. She liked it at first... it gets old though. I hate it. It is really damned annoying. If I'm lucky I get to spend two days a week with my wife. Thats some BS. It pays well though.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 PM

My test for a "travel" job would be that of the truck driver. A decent truck driver can make about $80,000 a year travelling 5 days a week and being home for 2. If the "travel" job does not pay at least that much, I would not take it unless there were other really good benefits.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,292,967 times
KevK, I'm sorry to tell you, but there are VERY few truck drivers that pull in $80,000 a year. I've been hauling freight around the U.S. for 11 years now and after QUITE a bit of research, find that most truckers make a LOT less than that. Most non-union drivers for truckload carriers do well to make $45,000/year. And it's EXPEN$$$IVE to live on the road. If you make much more than that, you're either being VERY creative with your log book or you virtually live in your truck instead of having any sort of life other than trucking. Union drivers at the top of the scale and who work a lot of overtime might make close to that kind of money. But even they are far and few between. Now, an owner/operator may GROSS that much or more. But I'll guarantee you that after fuel and other expenses, most will net far less. Especially if they are leased to someone else instead of arranging their own loads. Trucking is a great job. But it's not for everybody. And it darn sure doesn't pay what it should (just like most other jobs in the U.S. of A.)

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-22-2007 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 PM

1,827 posts, read 5,199,098 times
I have had jobs in the past that required about two trips a month of 3 days per trip. That was not too bad, but even that got old after 6 months or so. It gets to be a hassle to plan the rest of your life around those business trips, it limits when you can schedule other appointments or errands. I cannot imagine how tough it would be to have a full time road warrior job, with travel 4 or 5 days a week almost every week. That would be impossible to live a normal life. Living in hotels also gets real tiring, sometimes you get a nice comfy place and sometimes you end up in some noisy place or maybe the bed is lousy and you can't sleep. I won't even mention how I don't like eating out at restaurants all the time instead of healthy home cooked food.

The jobs "away from home" I did like are those where I was on a long term contract in another country for 6 months or longer. In those cases I lived in a regular apartment and was working on projects in one place the whole time (getting paid double what I make in my engineering job now). That was great cause I could live a rather normal day to day life and not be running around from airplane gate to rental car to job site to hotel.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:52 AM

5,920 posts, read 14,840,076 times
I would love a job that involves travel.
I recently met a nurse (R.N.) who worked for a company that Blue Cross Blue Shield contracts with for certain premier insurance plans, to consult with patients who are very ill and make sure they are receiving all the services they need. She was based out of Michigan but would fly/drive all over the midwest.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM

943 posts, read 2,354,217 times
I could never work for a job that required alot of travel. Ok, maybe 2 or 3 days a MONTH.... but that's about it.

Lucky for me, my job doesnt ever required any travel at all.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
KevK, I'm sorry to tell you, but there are VERY few truck drivers that pull in $80,000 a year. I've been hauling freight around the U.S. for 11 years now and after QUITE a bit of research, find that most truckers make a LOT less than that. Most non-union drivers for truckload carriers do well to make $45,000/year. And it's EXPEN$$$IVE to live on the road. If you make much more than that, you're either being VERY creative with your log book or you virtually live in your truck instead of having any sort of life other than trucking. Union drivers at the top of the scale and who work a lot of overtime might make close to that kind of money. But even they are far and few between. Now, an owner/operator may GROSS that much or more. But I'll guarantee you that after fuel and other expenses, most will net far less. Especially if they are leased to someone else instead of arranging their own loads. Trucking is a great job. But it's not for everybody. And it darn sure doesn't pay what it should (just like most other jobs in the U.S. of A.)
I don't really know what it pays but my uncle in law said he makes about that much. He might be fudging on his logs- I don't know because I do not know how much you are supposed to drive. He told me he drives about 12 hours a day- almost always at night (no traffic) and he sleeps in the daytime most of the time. He actually has a bed, a small fridge, microwave and even a TV right in his truck! So he never stays in a motel and rarely eats out. He told me that he makes about $80K in a good year and he is usually home 1 or 2 days a week but sometimes he stays out for 3 weeks and comes home for 3 or 4 days depending on what he is hauling and where it is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment