Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 PM

218 posts, read 755,496 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been at my job for a bit over a year with around 50 or so employees, no turnover. See the same people every day and interact pleasantries with most including this person yesterday. What I want to ask you is this, do you work with people who refuse to ever use your name? I mean ever?They call you "Hey" or whatever and expect you to respond? I don't know, I think it's kinda ignorant, just my own opinion because I talk to people with respect and in rare circumstance I don't know or remember someones name, I will say "excuse me" and then ask the question.
latest example,

I had a senior mgmt.guy going "hey yo" until I finally said 'you should know that's not my name". I have spoken to this person a hundred times always calling them by their name and they still wont make any effort whatsoever to even use somebody's name when they need to? it's not like I don't interact with these people on frequent basis. . It's weird. So do you just ignore such people until they learn some common manners? I do now. I know some people are "bad" with remembering names, but when you always see the same people for so long, is there any real excuse? my new year resolution is to just ignore until they learn some manners what say you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
I would continue to be polite and not concern myself with THEIR manners. That's their problem, don't make it yours IMO.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
I'm terrible at remembering names. I'm glad that the offices or desks where I work have people's names marked (and they sit in the same place every day, obviously). I nonchalantly read the names as I walk past people's desks, and after a few passes, I know their names.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Ignoring is immature and unprofessional.

Your insistence about your name suggests you need people to prove something to you. Perhaps to prove you are valued enough by them that they haven't forgotten your name; or perhaps you just like the sound of your own name and need them to flatter you.

Do you question your friends or family if they say something to you and don't preface every statement with your name first? I doubt it.

If you are in a group environment, yes, the person speaking should say your name so everyone knows to whom they are speaking. But in one-on-one interactions, it should be obvious. It would not be healthy for your career to pick a bone with senior management over the frequency of the use of your name.

If you want to make a NY resolution, make one to not sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I'm terrible with names too. My conversations with my co-workers tend to be a generic "hey, how are you?" kind of thing. I rarely ever use anyones name, even if I do remember it. I think it's become a habit, out of self preservation. My thinking is that if I don't use names very often, then it's not as obvious when I forget a name. Sounds good in theory at any rate.
It's a very embarrassing problem, especially when you know you've asked someone their name several times before.

My vote is to state your name politely every time they address you. Just a nice simple "It's Mary, Mr. Smithers" response, over and over again. If it's a memory problem he'll eventually learn your name after it's repeated often enough. If it's just because he's a jerk maybe he'll get tired of you correcting him, he'll give in and start using your name.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 PM

14 posts, read 44,461 times
Put on one of those HELLO MY NAME IS nametags and point to it.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 PM

thanks for your comments!

yes it's a crowded group environment and no I don't like to hear my name or need be flattered, but do respond and respect people if they at least say excuse me first. If we didn't have to work together and need each others help so often, yup, would be a non issue. Plus on the other hand, I can't count the times I hear someone in my section say say HI!! and I react HI back and here they aren't even saying it to me, so that can be presumptuous on my part so that's also why its my resolution to make sure its me they 're talking to
In my work environment a bunch of people will be looking at them, and they're pointing at just the one. Just kinda ignorant imo when they can ask personal questions but go rude when it comes to knowing a name? <---these are the ones I'm posting about. The casual "hey how you doing today? people I see each day, I wouldn't expect them to remember. Just the ones I work with. thanks for your comments!!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

Do you question your friends or family if they say something to you and don't preface every statement with your name first? I doubt it.
But they always do. especially in a gathering or group. How else would they get any one specific person's attention unless the people are either alone or already looking at each other?
Let somebody I've known for a year keep bellowing "hey yo" till the cows come home, I say, because they know that's not the name my momma gave me.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would continue to be polite and not concern myself with THEIR manners. That's their problem, don't make it yours IMO.
This is excellent advice.

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. I happened to take a training course in Communication Skills from the American Management Association where I asked the trainer the same question. She told me that it was an ethical issue that had nothing to do with me, and was purely a reflection on the individual, and that it was correct to ignore it.

"Unethical" and unprofessional individuals actually exist sometimes in Senior Management.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
But they always do. especially in a gathering or group. How else would they get any one specific person's attention unless the people are either alone or already looking at each other?
So read the next sentence in my post, after the one you quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment