Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,442,029 times

Advertisements

Nothng new for Walmart, that's the company that outsourced janitorial services and had illegals sleeping in the storeroom and not receiving overtime pay. Walmart already paid out some fines for doing that.

There's a big price to be paid for all the cheap foreign made crap that Walmart imports to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,011,704 times
I love this country but will continue to buy what is cheapest right now.

Buy local is a big thing they push up here in Vermont. That's fine but when a person has only x amount of dollars to buy, do I go to the local fruit stand where they charge 2x more or do I go to the guy down the road who gets his stuff from MA but it's a lot cheaper or better?

I doubt a handful of well off people 'not shopping Walmart' will do anything to them. You're not going to get the regular, frugal, penny pinching person to shop at LE MARKET(or the local supermarket that MARKS UP PRICES willy nilly and **** you!) when they can go to Superwalmart and save $$$.

The only reason we don't go every week is because it's too far away. Otherwise, heck yeah, I'll be at Walmart too. I save 20-40 dollars a week when I shop there, maybe more, over our local supermarkets.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,537,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I love this country but will continue to buy what is cheapest right now.

Buy local is a big thing they push up here in Vermont. That's fine but when a person has only x amount of dollars to buy, do I go to the local fruit stand where they charge 2x more or do I go to the guy down the road who gets his stuff from MA but it's a lot cheaper or better?

I doubt a handful of well off people 'not shopping Walmart' will do anything to them. You're not going to get the regular, frugal, penny pinching person to shop at LE MARKET(or the local supermarket that MARKS UP PRICES willy nilly and **** you!) when they can go to Superwalmart and save $$$.

The only reason we don't go every week is because it's too far away. Otherwise, heck yeah, I'll be at Walmart too. I save 20-40 dollars a week when I shop there, maybe more, over our local supermarkets.
I guess that's one thing about California I like. The fresh 'local fruit/veggie stand' produce is about half the cost of the grocery stores. Just as I was driving to work this morning, they were harvesting romaine lettuce

Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I guess that's one thing about California I like. The fresh 'local fruit/veggie stand' produce is about half the cost of the grocery stores. Just as I was driving to work this morning, they were harvesting romaine lettuce
If there was an alternative, I'd go there. We only have 2 supermarkets in my area and both are pretty pricey with okay to terrible produce. In summer you can go to stands or buy from farmers but they don't charge much less (though the quality is very good).

My point is the average Joe Consumer is not going to be high brow and say I will boycott Walmart because they are evil or bad to their workers or take away Americans' jobs. They will go where they can get the most bang for their buck, especially in a recession.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,738,859 times
Quote:
If there was an alternative, I'd go there. We only have 2 supermarkets in my area and both are pretty pricey with okay to terrible produce. In summer you can go to stands or buy from farmers but they don't charge much less (though the quality is very good).

My point is the average Joe Consumer is not going to be high brow and say I will boycott Walmart because they are evil or bad to their workers or take away Americans' jobs. They will go where they can get the most bang for their buck, especially in a recession.
Pretty much and that's how Wal-Mart likes it. They like to beat the "competition" or make sure there isn't any and make Wal-Mart the only place you can shop.

I try to go to Target and Kroger. Kroger provides a much better health care plan for their employees (not that it isn't hard to beat Wal-Mart's health care plan).

If there was an alternative to Wal-Mart with similar prices that paid their employees a living wage, had ethical business practices, and such...best believe I'd shop there. I wish we had a Publix here. I hear it's employee owned and they treat their employees well.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Quote:
They will go where they can get the most bang for their buck, especially in a recession.
And then complain because there are no American jobs.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Pretty much and that's how Wal-Mart likes it. They like to beat the "competition" or make sure there isn't any and make Wal-Mart the only place you can shop.

I try to go to Target and Kroger. Kroger provides a much better health care plan for their employees (not that it isn't hard to beat Wal-Mart's health care plan).

If there was an alternative to Wal-Mart with similar prices that paid their employees a living wage, had ethical business practices, and such...best believe I'd shop there. I wish we had a Publix here. I hear it's employee owned and they treat their employees well.
Publix and Wegman's are both great companies in that respect.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And then complain because there are no American jobs.
I thought you were a big believer in 'training' for something better. If people don't have jobs, can't they just get training to better themselves? Walmart and their cheaper fruit doesn't take a job away from me. Did they kill Mom and Pop stores? Well, that's just economic progress...isn't it? (Capitalists please chime in).

How does Walmart take away the average person's job?

Why not start complaining about McDonald's and so on? Fast food places exploit workers just as bad as 'big box stores' and deliver sickening 'food.'

The goal is about making money, isn't it?
You seem to be against Walmart making a profit--the goal of business.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 01-25-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
How does Walmart personally take a job from me? I'm not a farmer. I don't make lawn furniture or pottery or dishes...
It all trickles down. The more manufacturing (and all of their related support jobs including HR, administration, sales, operations, maintenance, etc.) moves offshore, the more American jobs will be lost and the more people will be competing for the few jobs that are left. The more people that are out of work, the less people will be spending on discretionary items and the more people will be voting down tax hikes that fund schools--so the schools will cut back jobs--seems to me you are trying to get one of those.

Quote:
I have nothing personally against Walmart. I can't afford to shop 'high end' stores. Most Americans cannot afford Lord and Taylor or Macy's or whatever places you want us to shop at..
In place of Wal-Mart there are grocery stores and companies like Home Depot that carry a lot of items made in the USA. I don't consider Home Depot "high end."

Quote:
Is Walmart the most socially 'unjust' company in the USA? I wonder...you guys all are for big business and 'entrepreneurship' and getting off your butts to make something out of yourself. Now Walmart is really successful, especially during the recession, now they are suddenly 'evil.'?
I prefer to support companies that participate in fair labor practices. Wal-Mart doesn't compete fairly. They use their fat wallets to artificially deflate prices until the competition is out of business, then exploit the local community by paying bad wages and no benefits wot the people that lose jobs with the toher company. That's not entrepreneurship, that's pure evil. I am not a huge Starbucks fan, as they don't participate in Fair Trade, but at least they pay their employees decently and offer benefits.

Quote:
I am currently reading Fast Food Nation. You want evil...take a look at the fast food industry...they exploit everyone. So, you putting down that 'cheap big mac now?'
I prefer to eat "fast food" at one of our locally owned "fast food" places--Tijuana Flats or Crispers. They use fresh ingredients and pay fair wages.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I thought you were a big believer in 'training' for something better. If people don't have jobs, can't they just get training to better themselves? Walmart and their cheaper fruit doesn't take a job away from me. Did they kill Mom and Pop stores? Well, that's just economic progress...isn't it? (Capitalists please chime in).
I am a big believer in repositioning yourself and repurposing current skills to a new career field. I also think that some people need to retrain--mosly because their LABOR job has been sent to China. And Wal-Mart does take jobs from people--yourself included. You just can't open your eyes to macro-ecnomics.

Quote:
How does Walmart take away the average person's job?
I explained taht previously.

Quote:
Why not start complaining about McDonald's and so on? Fast food places exploit workers just as bad as 'big box stores' and deliver sickening 'food.'
Actually, McDonalds doesn't. A person who has the motivation to achieve and who is willing to work hard towards it can actually climb the ladder at McDonalds via McDonalds University. They are one of the few companies where a non-college graduate can end up managing a high revenue store, all training paid for by the company. The "food" part is debatable, although I tend to agree with you on that point. The book you are reading is not nuetral, it is very slanted, and I think written by someone with ties to PETA. I'm not saying it's entirely wrong, but it's a classic case of three sides to every story.

Quote:
The goal is about making money, isn't it?
You seem to be against Walmart making a profit--the goal of business.
No I'm against Wal-Mart using collusion and monopolistic practices and unfair labor practices. And I'm against them because they hire illegals--a lot of them, and then just open the wallet to pay the fine when they get caught but continuing to break the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment