U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 AM

12,887 posts, read 7,213,973 times
Default 'Working twice as hard for half the money'

i know a lot of people in this particular boat..

Quote:
Being out of work is taking a toll on job seekers. But even those with a job are getting fed up.
Layoffs, diminished benefits, pay cuts and extra workload burdens are finally pushing many disgruntled workers right out the door.
In a study by CareerBuilder, 24% of workers say they no longer feel loyal to their current employer and 19% plan to move to a new job this year.
Almost one-quarter of respondents surveyed by the Conference Board in a separate study said they didn't expect to be at their current jobs within a year.

'Working twice as hard for half the money' - Jan. 25, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,995,145 times
In my case, I work twice as hard for 1/4 the money!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,390,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
In my case, I work twice as hard for 1/4 the money!

Nanook rubs it!!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,805,711 times
For me it's literally true. My employer let my boss go and now I'm doing her job as well as my own. For only my salary, of course. Starting to look like they may finally be getting a replacement, but they sure haven't been in hurry. I try to be philosophical about it....by showing I can do the work when needed hopefully it will provide a little job security in an insecure world.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
YAZ

6,072 posts, read 6,044,734 times
Almost one quarter of job holders didn't expect to be in their current jobs within the next year?

Duh.

The national "official" unemployment rate is 10%. The REAL unemployment rate is 20%.

That's almost a quarter, babe.

1 in 5 of us ain't workin' at the same place we were 2 years ago. A good guess would infer that most of that 20% ain't makin' the dough they were 2 years ago either.

News?

No.

Reality.

Yes.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,995,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Almost one quarter of job holders didn't expect to be in their current jobs within the next year?

Duh.

The national "official" unemployment rate is 10%. The REAL unemployment rate is 20%.

That's almost a quarter, babe.

1 in 5 of us ain't workin' at the same place we were 2 years ago. A good guess would infer that most of that 20% ain't makin' the dough they were 2 years ago either.

News?

No.

Reality.

Yes.
And it sucks but there's nothing else we can do but deal with it.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Status: "Hoping for a sunny 3 day weekend" (set 28 days ago)

1,523 posts, read 1,348,528 times
It will end up hurting the companies in the end. They will learn this the hard way there is somewhat of a revolution starting. When people have a bad attitude, the company will pay for it somewhere down the road. What companies are doing is laying off middle management and giving the work to supervisors or the regular workers. Whenever you're company keeps trying to give you more responsibility over time, that's why it is. People are getting fed up though and it's getting to the point where people would rather have a lower paying job with less stress.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 AM

6,403 posts, read 7,545,778 times
Unfortunately, it will only hurt companies if we actually get back to the point where labor supply exceeds demand (or at least comes close to it) and companies actually have to compete for good employees instead of several people begging for one opening.

This culture of overwork and over taking advantage of the employee started in the 80s and hasn't really let up much at any period since then, the only exception being that until our current economic malaise what is now the "under 40" generation has put up some resistance. So I think either you'll see a massive, sudden revolution or sadly this won't change much.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,094,208 times
It would be nice to be like workers in other countries who get a lot more vacation time, less work hours, and a less hectic life. Yes, you need to work for money but somehow this American culture is so tied into 'work and money' and we have a lower desire for 'family life' or 'fun.'

I wonder if this is a result of our inherently puritan roots. Maybe the idea that the Latinos (is this the right word?) or Hispanics will become a predominate culture in America won't be 'all bad.' Having a concept of manana (tilda not on my keyboard, sorry!) may allow Americans to slow down more and enjoy life.

Most people walk around miserable or scowling (at least where I live). Being a little happier with life may make us all live longer. Okay, well maybe you don't need a huge McMansion, 2 cars, a pool and so on...life is more than chasing dollars for more things. Look at some 'so called' primitive peoples...they seem damn happy with their huts and an ocean to fish from.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Status: "Hoping for a sunny 3 day weekend" (set 28 days ago)

1,523 posts, read 1,348,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It would be nice to be like workers in other countries who get a lot more vacation time, less work hours, and a less hectic life. Yes, you need to work for money but somehow this American culture is so tied into 'work and money' and we have a lower desire for 'family life' or 'fun.'

I wonder if this is a result of our inherently puritan roots. Maybe the idea that the Latinos (is this the right word?) or Hispanics will become a predominate culture in America won't be 'all bad.' Having a concept of manana (tilda not on my keyboard, sorry!) may allow Americans to slow down more and enjoy life.

Most people walk around miserable or scowling (at least where I live). Being a little happier with life may make us all live longer. Okay, well maybe you don't need a huge McMansion, 2 cars, a pool and so on...life is more than chasing dollars for more things. Look at some 'so called' primitive peoples...they seem damn happy with their huts and an ocean to fish from.
I think what you're saying is Americans themselves are part of the problem. I agree in that people think they need to own "stuff" to be happy. Look at the credit card debt epidemic where people by crap they don't even need, and they can't even afford it!! In what world does that make sense? My attitude is I would rather make less, have less "stuff", and be happy. You don't inherently need a brand new $35,000.00 dollar car when you can drive a $10,000.00 used one. Americans have been brainwashed for so many years now! The rat race can only consume you if you let it. People in Okinawa live long lives and their lifestyle is generally pretty simple compared to the average American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment