U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 PM

563 posts, read 993,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
What a terrible response...that's not what she asked...she didnt ask for you to lecture her...

She asked for a solution...not a uncaring wise remark...
I agree. What a terrible response from that poster. Everyone makes mistakes in this life. Perhaps that person hasn't made one that happened to have a bad consequence. But when they do, and I'm sure that poster will because I believe this life teaches us things we are lacking, they will want to be forgiven as well. Then they will learn what the meaning of "empathy" is. Best of luck to your family member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 26,350 times
Thanks Time and Space! I was looking into finding a way to start a non-profit for the rehabilated men and women. I mean this is really nonsense and it even frustrates me knowing that no matter how much they try, it just will not be good enough to stand up correct again. I'm also trying to find out as much about the guidelines when companies do background checks. I've noticed that jobs really dont tell you exactly what they would look over or not. Only if i was a millionaire...LOL!!! i would give back so much to the areas that need programs to find ex convicts jobs, or even hire them my damn self.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 AM

3,360 posts, read 3,215,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezwick View Post
Thanks Time and Space! I was looking into finding a way to start a non-profit for the rehabilated men and women. I mean this is really nonsense and it even frustrates me knowing that no matter how much they try, it just will not be good enough to stand up correct again. I'm also trying to find out as much about the guidelines when companies do background checks. I've noticed that jobs really dont tell you exactly what they would look over or not. Only if i was a millionaire...LOL!!! i would give back so much to the areas that need programs to find ex convicts jobs, or even hire them my damn self.
He through a chair through a window....so what...I mean I can't believe the judge didn't through the case out...college kids at wild parties do things far worse...

Drunk drivers run people over...and keep their jobs...
When I think of 'felon'...the last thing I think of is a guy throwing a chair through a window in a heated arguement...hck, how many couples do that while at home...
I hate to see this young mans future crippled by a heavy handed DA...

This relative of yours should think of starting his own business, his own enterprise...maybe even a legal service, to help others in his perdicumant...
They need to sit down and take that frustration, and let that be the engine that helps them start their own business....

Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Thick headed DA's make the problems worse, by robbing young males of the ability to find work, yet sit at home, and call talk radio shows saying 'why don't these people get a job?' Or 'They're lazy and don't want to work'...
Well they can't work, no one will hire them, when your charging young males with a felony simply for jay walking D'oh....

Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Yea he has applied to get his masters and was looking more into the law field. He's a great writter and tutor, but even with the tutoring all the main companies go by his background check and decline him of the jobs. and the DA was extrememly cruel over that window. I was getting quite upset just listening to the man speak and try to hype up a window being broken. he wasnt trying to aim the chair or anything at a person it just happen he flung it into a window that cost $1,000 to repair and BAM!! instant felony. His lawyer tried his best to get it reduced down to a misder. but he wasnt able to do it. and as discouraged as he is at the moment i wont let him give up on trying to do the right things in life.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezwick View Post
Yea he has applied to get his masters and was looking more into the law field. He's a great writter and tutor, but even with the tutoring all the main companies go by his background check and decline him of the jobs. and the DA was extrememly cruel over that window. I was getting quite upset just listening to the man speak and try to hype up a window being broken. he wasnt trying to aim the chair or anything at a person it just happen he flung it into a window that cost $1,000 to repair and BAM!! instant felony. His lawyer tried his best to get it reduced down to a misder. but he wasnt able to do it. and as discouraged as he is at the moment i wont let him give up on trying to do the right things in life.
Another suggestion...
Sometimes humor is a way into peoples heart...
When he applies for a job...he needs to be upfront about the chair incident...let them know up front that he made a mistake...one he wishes he could take back...
And be frank about it, funny about it in his delivery...so that the potential employer can see that this guys 'alright'...

That way by telling them ahead of time...when the record comes up, it's already been 'defused'...and when they see felony..and chair throwing...they think more in terms of a funny 'Seinfeld TV episode'...rather than a 'Menace to society' movie....

I can garuntee you there are people working inside these firms, who show up every day and park their cars upfront...who have done far far worse to themselves and others, than throwing a chair throw a window...

Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 AM

good point. I'm gonna let him know about that also.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 PM

134 posts, read 475,672 times
I use to work as a Case Manager for a community corrections facility so I've worked with a lot of felons in trying to find a job.

One suggestion I have is when asked on the application if he has ever been convicted of a felony, put "yes" (he has to or if hired and they find out he lied it's a reason for automatic termination) but where it asks to explain write down "to be discussed at interview"

Unfortunately, that won't get him into the interview any quicker but if they are at all interested in him he'll be able to explain his situation and what he's doing about it now.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM

13 posts, read 17,364 times
There's a lot of good people that have to deal with a felony conviction. The problem is they are all mixed in with a bunch of terminally rotten folks as well.

I'm not interested in predator personality types, however I'm willing to give the non-violent men and women a chance at a earning a very good sales commission income. It requires good communication skills, a car, a phone, and an internet connection. We provide mentoring and training to anyone that is really interested in making an excellent income and is self-driven.

If you want to know more and live in or near Nebraska, let me know of your interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment