Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I wish there was a simple way to put on my resume that I basically just want to work evening shift and not be around a lot of people. Haha.

Hahaha...they may label you as "anti -social" or think you have some serious personality disorder.
What you want to say on a resume is that you are a ""team player" yet able to work alone, without supervision, and prefer later shifts as opposed to day shifts b/c you like to have more time to do things during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM

23 posts, read 74,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
i'm currently working night shift stocking at a local grocery store. I only do this on friday and saturday nights as i'm in college full time. I guess because i'm young it's easy for me to adjust but it really doesn't mess with my body too much

On friday's i wake up at 6:30 for class, have classes until 1 and then have the whole rest of the day to hang out and or study. I usually go to work around 10-11 (i've been working there over 3 years and i come in before the rest of the crew at midnight so they don't really care) and then work until about 8am or so. Basically whenever the job is done. After getting off saturday morning it's straight to bed. Then back to work again saturday night. After that i've stayed up the whole day sunday and have gone to bed early, about 9pm to wake up again at 6:30 monday morning.

I just find it funny i'm wide awake and alert for work yet have no trouble waking up on the day side monday mornings again. I plan to continue this shift as it makes a world of difference having no customers and upper management around.
lucky!!! I'm sure most night shifters would love to feel this way....

Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
I've been a shift worker for 31 consecutive years. When it comes to working the graveyard shift (i.e., 10pm to 6am) I'll only do my share of it and no more that what I'm required to. Like some here have stated, it really messes me up physically, especially those GI track issues. I feel like I'm in a cloud when I work graves.

Fortunately, I've been able to duck grave shift for the last 9 years. I've worked a lot of swing (2pm to 10pm) which is very easy on this old bod.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 PM

80 posts, read 206,437 times
I used to work at a hotel and I loved the 3pm-11pm shift. It was perfect for me. I don't know if I could do the graveyard shift...I'd be fine for the first half of the shift, but then I'd have a hard time getting thru the second half, from 3am or 4am on.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I normally work in an office from 7am-3:30pm. But since I lost my job, I'm back to working as a security officer. When I applied, I specified that I could work a swing shift, combination day/swing, but no graveyards. So I'm working a 3pm-11pm shift, and it gives the time that I need to continue my job hunt for another administrative assistant job.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
I remember working the night shift (11-7) when I was in my early 20s. I loved it. Like the OP said, no traffic, no management around, etc. It was peaceful. I only did it for a few years but really, really liked it. It really was like being in a different world, in a good way. Been a 9-5er ever since though. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
My first IT job was for 3rd shift. It was from 11:00pm to 8:00am. It was the worst year of my life. Your body never gets used to these hours, and you're always tired. I was thrilled when I found another job with normal day time hours. The vampire shift is aweful.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 AM

Ever get off at 6 AM and go to the bar with co-workers? I used to have a lot of fun then, eat, drink, play pool.
Now, picking up beer at the Circle K on the way home alone is different, I always feel like people are wondering why Im wide awake buying alcohol at 6AM lol.
But even when I dont drink, I love getting off in the morning and watching the sun come up and just enjoy the morning before everyone gets up at home...it's very peaceful to me, and God knows I need peace in my life.
Like someone said, working nights you do feel like your in another world, in many ways.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I work the night shift of 10:30 PM to 6:30 AM and I love it. I work in a office building overnights by myself. I just sit on city-data all night(I am at work now). I am completely used to it. I also love the no traffic aspect and being able to shop in the stores when no one is around. There is one fatal flaw in my job though. I used to work night shift Monday-Friday and I was completely happy with that. Then, another coworker complained about his hours, so they switched two of my days and now make me work 3PM-11PM on the weekends. I absolutely hate it.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I work the night shift of 10:30 PM to 6:30 AM and I love it. I work in a office building overnights by myself. I just sit on city-data all night(I am at work now). I am completely used to it. I also love the no traffic aspect and being able to shop in the stores when no one is around. There is one fatal flaw in my job though. I used to work night shift Monday-Friday and I was completely happy with that. Then, another coworker complained about his hours, so they switched two of my days and now make me work 3PM-11PM on the weekends. I absolutely hate it.

Hahaha thats funny cuz Im at work also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment