Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times

Advertisements

What is a good trade to get into and maybe one that has some travelling involved? I've read pipefitting/steamfitting and bricklaying are both good to get into and will have jobs in the future. How do you get into these do you have to know someone or do you have to keep calling the union to try and get into an apprenticeship? I want to start a new career before I get any older and I'm teeter tottering on what to do. I don't know if I should try to get into a blue collar trade like mining or one of the other ones I mentioned or go to school for some type of science career. I would not like most healthcare jobs so that's probably out of the question. I'm so lost and confused about what to do. I don't want to get into something I won't like and I don't want to get into something that will be outsourced to India or China in 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I would shy away from anything that is too dependant on new construction...

Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would shy away from anything that is too dependant on new construction...
Oh man dont we know it. Many of us are convinced the construction trades will never recover in our lifetime.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Plumbing, can't outsource and you can't wing it either. There would always be a demand for a good plumber.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
What is a good trade to get into and maybe one that has some travelling involved? I've read pipefitting/steamfitting and bricklaying are both good to get into and will have jobs in the future. How do you get into these do you have to know someone or do you have to keep calling the union to try and get into an apprenticeship? I want to start a new career before I get any older and I'm teeter tottering on what to do. I don't know if I should try to get into a blue collar trade like mining or one of the other ones I mentioned or go to school for some type of science career. I would not like most healthcare jobs so that's probably out of the question. I'm so lost and confused about what to do. I don't want to get into something I won't like and I don't want to get into something that will be outsourced to India or China in 5 years.
Word on the street is that Vegas is in desperate need of male gigolos. So far, I think there's only one (legit) gigolo now.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Pipefitters get alot of work doing maintainence jobs in powerhouses, chemical plants, refineries and such and are much less dependent on new work than many other trades. "Turn arounds" in such places often go 7 days a week and the money rolls in.

Call the union local nearest you and inquire as to when they'll be taking in apprentices. It's alot easier to get into the union trades now than it was a generation ago; many are looking for new blood and many young people today would rather have a "creative" hipster job like working at Starbucks than busting their ass in a dirty refinery.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Call the union local nearest you and inquire as to when they'll be taking in apprentices. It's alot easier to get into the union trades now than it was a generation ago; many are looking for new blood and many young people today would rather have a "creative" hipster job like working at Starbucks than busting their ass in a dirty refinery.
Nooooooooooo. Union halls are flooded with long time dues paying members who have been out of work for months to years. It is almost impossible to get into any labor union right now. If some one knows some one and pulls some strings to bring in new blood there will be blood drawn.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Nooooooooooo. Union halls are flooded with long time dues paying members who have been out of work for months to years. It is almost impossible to get into any labor union right now. If some one knows some one and pulls some strings to bring in new blood there will be blood drawn.
Depends on the trade and the location.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Depends on the trade and the location.
I think there is some truth to this although I'm not totally done researching it yet. In my area it's extremely clicky and to get into one of the union jobs it seems like you pretty much have to be related to someone...just knowing someone isn't enough.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 17,909 times
What if you're a woman? Don't they need to fill a quota?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment