U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,960,152 times

Advertisements

CNN is doing this weekly special on the stimulus money and where it went to (or is going to).

Are jobs being created?

How are things in your neck of the woods job wise? I'll start. I live on the border of NH/VT and both major employers are on hiring freezes and laying off people. I see more and more people in my complex (many work for one of these employers) either leaving the area or being laid off.

The school district has slashed a lot of services for next year and a few jobs. The neighboring district is doing the same.

I have stopped buying the Sunday paper and just check jobs online every day.

The winter is usually pretty dead job wise here. (Apart from people working ski slopes I guess).

We're planning to move in the next few months after researching somewhere with more jobs/activity/less rural. I can't image a place with less jobs except maybe Detroit. I have not been on a job interview since November. There is nothing to apply for...

And you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,891,677 times
Huntsville Alabama.

Over 10,000 jobs are moving to Huntsville in the next couple years. These jobs mostly support the Army, the Missile Defense Agency, and NASA. Most of the jobs are aerospace/defense/engineering/science related. Companies are screaming for engineers; the unemployment rate for engineers with degrees in Huntsville is 0.2%.

General: 10,000 jobs following BRAC 'a conservative' number | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com - al.com

"About 2,400 of the 4,651 government [these are just the govy jobs, there are a lot more support contracting jobs] positions coming to Redstone Arsenal and Huntsville under the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure decision have already moved here, and 2,000 have been filled, according to Army Col. Robert Pastorelli, Redstone's garrison commander. Of those 2,000 jobs, 56 percent were taken by people from outside the area, said Huntsville lawyer Joe Ritch, chair of the Tennessee Valley BRAC Committee."

from

Half of BRAC jobs filled are transfers - al.com

Huntsville is a pretty nice place to live too:

(Hampton Cove)

The World's Smartest Cities - Forbes.com

Five cities that will rise in the New Economy / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

America's 25 Next Recovering Job Markets: 2. Huntsville, Ala. - BusinessWeek

http://www.milkeninstitute.org/publications/publication (broken link)

Best Places to Launch: Huntsville is a rocket town - Oct. 13, 2009

Hope for Homebuilders? - BusinessWeek

Yahoo! HotJobs - 10 Great Cities for Salary Growth (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/tools/ept/printallept.html?post=27&eptTemplete=partnertempla te - broken link)

http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/...p_cityhsvl.pdf

Many Smaller Cities Dodge Crunch in Consumer Lending - WSJ.com

In Pictures: The Top Cities For Defense Jobs - Huntsville, Ala. - Forbes.com

The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

Best places to find a job - Huntsville, Ala. (6) - Money Magazine

http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/...kiplingers.pdf

Relocate-America's 2009 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

America's 10 Best Places to Grow Up - US News and World Report

10 Best Places for Tech Jobs - US News and World Report

Last edited by Charles; 01-27-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,960,152 times
Thanks Charles. It looks nice. If I could only get my husband to consider moving South....he is against it.

I guess he doesn't want to be called a Yankee though he's British born! I like the politeness of the Southern people.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,891,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks Charles. It looks nice. If I could only get my husband to consider moving South....he is against it.

I guess he doesn't want to be called a Yankee though he's British born! I like the politeness of the Southern people.

Huntsville is loaded with east coasters, Californians (where I'm originally from), Midwesterners. Most of the jobs moving here are from DC and Northern Virginia.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,133,404 times
I'm seeing about the same but more entry-level positions than middle management (coordinator, assistant jobs with 2 years or less experience).

Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 AM

346 posts, read 529,392 times
Default Same or less job postings

in the Milwaukee area; at least what I would be qualified to apply to...it's been quiet.

Just a blip here or there and no bites; like Gypsy, no interviews since November, so hoping for a spring thaw

I'm keeping myself busy doing creative projects, cooking, and going way back to my first love of writing. If I can be successful at something else, it is likely to happen faster than getting a conventional job, IMHO.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM

19,127 posts, read 15,149,719 times
I've been seeing A LOT more jobs in my area. Unfortunately, they're low paying, mostly part time gigs. A friend of mine works for a local company (they do plumbing and whatnot) and I applied for a dispatcher job 2 years ago (before my current job) and they were offering $15 an hour plus decent benefits. Not great, but not too shabby. Now, that exact same job is being offered at $10 with no benefits whatsoever, and it even looks to have more responsibility (when I applied, it was dispatch ONLY. Now, it's dispatch + office assistant).

Even my 'freelancing' jobs are paying less for more work

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 AM

6,370 posts, read 10,463,289 times
When my wife interviewed at her company last year they got around 800-1000 resumes in a few days. When my wife was leaving they posted the same job and only received about 80-100 resumes in 3 days. So 1/10 the response ratio. Either people have completely given up, are fat dumb and happy on unemployment, or the unemployment rate has gone down I don't know.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 75,296 times
I've been replying to jobs whenever I see them. I am trying to find and entry-level accounting position and with no intership experience its proving to be difficult for me to find a job.

However, I have been seeing several accounting jobs that are 3+ years experience and I see more everyday.

I applied for a teller job the other day hoping that I could get something at least financial related, even if it is counting money but they said they didn't feel I was a match.

Troubles people have vary from field to field I guess. (I'm in DFW)

Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,964,652 times
I am in metro Atlanta, which is a huge area. Here is my brief, informal, for what it's worth survey.

1. I keep "hearing" that certain employeers are adding jobs or that a particular company is hiring. I have only explored one of these employers, because the others are beyond any possible commuting range. Believe me, the assembly line at Lockheed and I are not a good fit. I do know of someone second hand who was hired before Christmas.

2. All last week Georgia's unemployment numbers were the lead ins for local newscasts. The Governor and Labor Commissioner were on several times. If we were having great numbers of jobs roaring in I don't think they would be voicing so much concern and saying we have to create jobs for our citizens.

3. Teachers in Georgia are slated for furlough days. I don't have any details.

4. Today I was talking to a lady in the grocery store. She mentioned that she is a nurse and has been out of work. Hopefully she has position starting around the middle of February.

5. I struck up another conversation with a couple in a bank. They were in the mortgage industry. The woman said she had just started asking people everywhere about jobs -- in store lines, while waiting on car repair, etc.

6. Had a phone tag session with a friend who was in the banking industry. No job yet and no leads.

7. I have seen a few county government positions posted.

So there you are. Form your own conclusions from my information.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 01-28-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment