U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM

419 posts, read 1,214,816 times

Advertisements

Several job opportunities are available for relief work in Haiti. The company I work for just issued an email today to employees that may be interested in a 6 month assignment there with a 60% uplift in pay. Work week around 84 hours. After 6 months an evaluation would be done with the employee for extending the assignment.

I did a google search and there are thousand of opportunities there for some time. Several skill sets are required, including construction, medical, procurement, engineering, truck drivers, etc.

This would be a great opportunity for many people to help the Haitians with relief and rebuilding their infrastructure.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 PM

594 posts, read 364,734 times
Default Job opportunities in Haiti

FEMA still has over 100,000 non auctioned trailors and mobile homes
8000 unused (ever). Let's ship them to Haiti and replace the urea form
aldyhyde and replace with either standard foam sheets or fiberglass and
install 300 CFM fans or stove vents that would rid the units of potentially
toxic air or put in free standing HEPA filters. $2.5 billion of these units
will be scraped in time so let's get them over to Haiti where they could
also avoid severe zoning problems where squatters might build anywhere
there is space. FEMA could then contract (regualated bids) and build
another 200,000 units. Cost? what's the point. Haitians would be paid for
mass conversions also allowing some employment.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 25,547 times
Default work in haiti

I am not particularly good with computers and just seized upon this web site due to my interest helping out in Haiti.I don't know the protocal here but maybe you can help me.
I have a great deal of experiance,Class A CDL, heavy equipment, rural water systems etc.,and have worked in Morocco, Canada, Belize and all over the U.S.
I'm looking for a major change in my life right now and if you could give me some direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,883,453 times
It is common for these kinds of situations to be exploited for profit, including by bogus recruiters claiming to have connections to jobs.

USAID and other major players in Haiti right now are only looking for people with extensive experience in disaster relief. Even many of their own veteran aid workers are being rejected for not having enough experience to go down there.

If you want to offer your services, USAID is operating an umbrella website where interested parties can register their qualifications: Rebuilt Haiti. But if you don't have any experience in humanitarian aid, don't expect a call. Most aid workers put in years of work in refugee camps, at lowly administrative jobs in far corners of the world, before they are called up to the world stage for a major response like this.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 24,722 times
Default Opportunities in Haiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Several job opportunities are available for relief work in Haiti. The company I work for just issued an email today to employees that may be interested in a 6 month assignment there with a 60% uplift in pay. Work week around 84 hours. After 6 months an evaluation would be done with the employee for extending the assignment.

I did a google search and there are thousand of opportunities there for some time. Several skill sets are required, including construction, medical, procurement, engineering, truck drivers, etc.

This would be a great opportunity for many people to help the Haitians with relief and rebuilding their infrastructure.
Hi!
Im a Civil Engineer in Puerto Rico and im very interested in job opportunities in haiti. Can you tell me what is the name of the company that is hiring for haiti or link that i can submit my resume?
Thanks for your time.

Eng. Ramon Lizardi

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM

5,445 posts, read 6,494,127 times
Well,

if you're young, healthy, and single or could make arrangements for your family, that may be the thing for awhile. Get you some money, get going, and some work experience that is transferable.

I'd at least give it a thought.....

Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 23,509 times
My name is Keith and I am very interested in applying for a job in Haiti but I have no idea how to go about doing it. I am a heavy machine operator and i would appreciate any information that you might be able to share with me. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 AM

10,092 posts, read 14,191,743 times
Doubt anyone is going to get U.S. wages to work in a place where most people live on subsistence agriculture. I don't think there's going to be any massive rebuilding going on- the political will isn't there. Those with money and the government might rebuild some buildings but there are likely already sweetheart contracts ready to go in-country.
I say this, not cynically (I hope) but because I have experience in Haiti and in international public health stuff.
I certainly feel for people with skills who are hoping to find a job in some difficult place to support their families. I wish the work and will to pay for it could be in the U.S. But I don't think "rebuilding Haiti" is going to be the answer (unlike, say, Haliburton in Iraq).

Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 23,438 times
Hi

My name is Donet Noel and I'm construction Engineer,i am very interested in job Opportunities in Haiti, but i don't know the link that i can submit my Resume . Thank you!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donetnoel View Post
Hi

My name is Donet Noel and I'm construction Engineer,i am very interested in job Opportunities in Haiti, but i don't know the link that i can submit my Resume . Thank you!

If you are a business, with staff or crew, you can compete for contracts on the FBO website. If you are an individual you can sign up as a volunteer (unpaid) on the USAID website. Those are the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment