Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,000 times

Advertisements

I read that liberal arts majors only earn 30k average? What are the jobs that pays that much? Could you describe some of the common jobs that pays 30-something grands, what the work is like? I guess one 30k job that I am aware of is paralegal.

Are there any that involves being outdoors (and is not forestry, because they only hire forestry majors probably)

Are there any jobs that are very low stressful (secretary, i'm guessing - what else?)

Are there any jobs that allows you to listen to your iPod while at work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Secretary's are NOT a low stress job. Most people do not have secretaries. Those that do tend to be VPs, or similarly high, very stressful, goal oriented types. As a result, the secretary needs to be able to rise to the level of his/her boss.

Another secretarial option would be an admin for a large organization. Maybe the one secretary in HR, or at a school. As a result, you would have many bosses/demands, and probably a fair bit of stress.

As for wearing an iPod at work? That is simply not done. It is a huge clue that you don't care, and are disconnected from your surroundings. I give my staff one warning on this, and after that, they lose their jobs.

Now, to your first point. Where did you read this? Was this for first year out of college? In major metro areas? Rural areas? This will vary tremendously on the industry, area, etc. Does it include the LA majors who got low level jobs that they don't need any degree for?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Now, to your first point. Where did you read this? Was this for first year out of college? In major metro areas? Rural areas? This will vary tremendously on the industry, area, etc. Does it include the LA majors who got low level jobs that they don't need any degree for?
I guess the 30k average was my memory not serving me correctly. I just checked again and the average seems to be in high 30's.
https://career.berkeley.edu/Major2006/Major.stm

Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As for wearing an iPod at work? That is simply not done. It is a huge clue that you don't care, and are disconnected from your surroundings. I give my staff one warning on this, and after that, they lose their jobs.
You may just be referring to secretarial jobs in your answer, but there are many jobs out there that wearing ipod or headphone listening to music/radio/news etc... from your computer is fine.

If your are required to respond to people in front of you many times throughout the day it would be a problem. But if you have a job were you do your own thing most of the time I don't see it being a problem.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:25 PM

^could u name those jobs?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM

563 posts, read 1,711,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
^could u name those jobs?
I have been a technical writer for 6 years. I listened to music from my computer at work. So did the software engineers.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
I read that liberal arts majors only earn 30k average? What are the jobs that pays that much? Could you describe some of the common jobs that pays 30-something grands, what the work is like? I guess one 30k job that I am aware of is paralegal.

Are there any that involves being outdoors (and is not forestry, because they only hire forestry majors probably)

Are there any jobs that are very low stressful (secretary, i'm guessing - what else?)

Are there any jobs that allows you to listen to your iPod while at work?
1) Those are typically starting salaries. Earning potential typically goes up over time as you gain expertise in a particular field.

2) This is quite some generalizing on your part. Some L.A. majors can start out earning in the high $40s and low $50s (i.e. Physics majors, Math majors, Chem majors, Econ majors, etc.)

3) 'Stressful' is subjective. For some people, working on the floor of the Stock Exchange would drive them to insanity, whereas others thrive on that environment. Depending on the work environment, secretarial work can be extremely stressful.

4) What do you want to do outdoors? Engineering field work would obviously require an engineering degree, but I'm willing to guess there are many other outdoors jobs that don't require a college degree at all.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM

'stressful' as in not requiring much concentration.

i want to have a job outdoors in the sun and fresh air while having enough leisure in the brain to think about personal projects

Old 02-01-2010, 11:37 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:

i want to have a job outdoors in the sun and fresh air while having enough leisure in the brain to think about personal projects
Look into your state's Department of Natural Resources for these types of jobs. My 81 year old grandfather has exactly the type of job you described, though I'm not sure exactly what it's called. It allows him to move around outdoors and I'm sure it has very little stress.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,656 times
Quote:

I drive a garbage truck and listen to my Zune(MP3) 8 hours a day and think about others thing while working. Average scale driver made 70k to 85k in 2009. Free insurance and a pension. Working in fresh air like you wanted. All it cost was $1600 for a class B license and a little luck getting hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment