Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

I've been at my job 4 years. It's not my chosen field. It's not what I want to do, not even my second option.

For the most part most of my co-workers are wonderful. I've got a nice salary and some nice perks. My own office and other than end of month and weekly reports, my time is pretty much my own. My boss lets me set my own schedule and doesn't harass me about anything.

Of course there are still the office politics. I'm not a suck up, never have been, never will be. So of course some of the other 'executives' have an issue with me. I'm never disrespectful to them but at the same time there is one that's a total buffoon and he and I are seriously oil and water. He takes every chance he can to complain to the General Manager about everything I do. Thankfully, I've got the rest of the staff supporting me. Everyone has been trying to find a place we can transfer the guy to.

Anyway, office is nice, pay is good, co-workers are great for the most part. But my heart isn't here. I spent years in law enforcement and thrived there. When my husband was forced to retire from the department due to medical disabilities, knowing how much it killed him not to work anymore, I couldn't go back to it. It seemed unfair to him. So I took this job.

In the meantime I've spent 13 years now working in rescue. I desperately want to get a shelter opened in my area; we don't have one. The county won't have it. But I am heavily involved in rescue work and that's what a large portion of my time is taken up doing. Now I've got a friend who is a shelter Director for the shelter I work with a lot offering me a job as her assistant. I'd love to take it, but my daughter only has a year of high school left and just got engaged; I can't uproot her now. Besides we have so much work to do to our house before we can sell it. It's a 5 to 6 hour drive / moev north if I do take it.

So I'm stuck for at least another year here. I've found lately I'm so burned out I can't keep my mind in the game. I don't want to lose this job but at the same time I dread having to come in every day. What in the world can I do (other than grow up - I'm aware) to get my head back in the game here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,816 times
I'm not sure there's much you can do if you just are not there anymore, you know? Except just look at it for what it is...a paycheck to tide you over until you can do what you want. Your story sounds a lot like mine, except I'm unemployed right now. I told myself I would never take another job in this particular field because I don't like it, I fell into it, and like you it wouldn't even be my second or third or whatever choice of field. But I'm looking for a job in that field because that's all I can get. And then I'm going to think of it as a paycheck to help me save for grad school, so I can do what I really want. If you try to think of it as temporary, that can sort of help your state of mind. Hope that helps some!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I'm not sure there's much you can do if you just are not there anymore, you know? Except just look at it for what it is...a paycheck to tide you over until you can do what you want. Your story sounds a lot like mine, except I'm unemployed right now. I told myself I would never take another job in this particular field because I don't like it, I fell into it, and like you it wouldn't even be my second or third or whatever choice of field. But I'm looking for a job in that field because that's all I can get. And then I'm going to think of it as a paycheck to help me save for grad school, so I can do what I really want. If you try to think of it as temporary, that can sort of help your state of mind. Hope that helps some!
Thanks. I guess at least it helps to know others feel the same way. Everyone here is so geared toward this career field; they live and breathe it and I just don't get it. I'm not a people person to begin with, so there's a huge issue. Thank God I work in the 'back' of the business just counting beans all day. If I had to deal with the customers here, I'd have been canned along ago!

To this point I've kept going by reminding myself that this is what pays for the rescue. If I get canned I'm putting all those lives at risk. I guess until my situation changes, I've just got to keep reminding myself of that.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've been at my job 4 years. It's not my chosen field. It's not what I want to do, not even my second option.

For the most part most of my co-workers are wonderful. I've got a nice salary and some nice perks. My own office and other than end of month and weekly reports, my time is pretty much my own. My boss lets me set my own schedule and doesn't harass me about anything.

Of course there are still the office politics. I'm not a suck up, never have been, never will be. So of course some of the other 'executives' have an issue with me. I'm never disrespectful to them but at the same time there is one that's a total buffoon and he and I are seriously oil and water. He takes every chance he can to complain to the General Manager about everything I do. Thankfully, I've got the rest of the staff supporting me. Everyone has been trying to find a place we can transfer the guy to.

Anyway, office is nice, pay is good, co-workers are great for the most part. But my heart isn't here. I spent years in law enforcement and thrived there. When my husband was forced to retire from the department due to medical disabilities, knowing how much it killed him not to work anymore, I couldn't go back to it. It seemed unfair to him. So I took this job.

In the meantime I've spent 13 years now working in rescue. I desperately want to get a shelter opened in my area; we don't have one. The county won't have it. But I am heavily involved in rescue work and that's what a large portion of my time is taken up doing. Now I've got a friend who is a shelter Director for the shelter I work with a lot offering me a job as her assistant. I'd love to take it, but my daughter only has a year of high school left and just got engaged; I can't uproot her now. Besides we have so much work to do to our house before we can sell it. It's a 5 to 6 hour drive / moev north if I do take it.

So I'm stuck for at least another year here. I've found lately I'm so burned out I can't keep my mind in the game. I don't want to lose this job but at the same time I dread having to come in every day. What in the world can I do (other than grow up - I'm aware) to get my head back in the game here?
I dunno, if you have survived 13 years you could make it 14 if you wanted to. Start gearing towards your new career now. Work on getting the house ready to be sold and so on. That might motivate you. Then once your daughter graduates, go for what you really want to do. Life is too short to be afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment