Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM

271 posts, read 657,397 times

Advertisements

These are the factors the employer is going to look at:

1) When do they need to start? If they need to start immediately the unemployed person would probably get the job so they employer wouldn't have to wait the typical 2-weeks. (I know a two-week notice is not required but it is a matter of courtesy so the future employer may think that if someone won't give a two-week notice to their current employer, why would they give a two-week notice to me if they find a better job?)

but

2) Why is the unemployed person unemployed? Were they laid-off, fired, have they been unemployed for a long time, was it their choice or someone elses...............? etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
These are the factors the employer is going to look at:

1) When do they need to start? If they need to start immediately the unemployed person would probably get the job so they employer wouldn't have to wait the typical 2-weeks. (I know a two-week notice is not required but it is a matter of courtesy so the future employer may think that if someone won't give a two-week notice to their current employer, why would they give a two-week notice to me if they find a better job?)

but

2) Why is the unemployed person unemployed? Were they laid-off, fired, have they been unemployed for a long time, was it their choice or someone elses...............? etc

Those are all the things I thought about when unemployed which is why 24/7 job search was a must

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Two people (female or male), have the same qualifications/experience and education are applying for a job. They both fit the requirements for the job equally. One person is already employed while the other person is not. Which person has the best chance of being called for an interview?
I hear some people say that companies would rather interview, or even hire, someone who is already employed. If that is the case, how many unemployed people out there are getting passed over? Not a good way to lower an unemployment rate for an area! Some companies and employment agences will "shy away" from a person who has been unemployed for more than 3 months. Well, in our economy right now, there are tons of people who have been unemployed for at least 3 months and more.........what are they suppose to do about getting a job?
Who would I have the more tendancy to call for interview......the unemployed person! I don't really care why the employed person is looking for a different job, the unemployed person hasn't got a job period. The employed person has an income which is most likely to be much higher than unemployed benefits!
Comments........
Depends on how bad they want the employee. The unemployed person can start tomorrow morning. The employed person will have to give 2 weeks notice.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I think this was true before the recession because jobs were more plentiful and an employed candidate had an edge. I don't think the same is true anymore. I think employers have lots to choose from, so they are looking for the best fit/best candidate. Also, the unemployed candidate in this case has the edge because they can usually start right away.

I recently went on a job interview (I'm employed) and they selected the unemployed candidate. I was actually relieved because the job wasn't the best fit for me and I would have liked to have seen it go to someone who needed the job. I would have turned it down had they offered, but I didn't want to have to do that.
Before the Great Recession an employer probably would have guessed an unemployed applicant was unemployed because of something he or she did. When you have an unemployed person and unemployment is 5% or less, usually they are not unemployed because of economic conditions. But since the Great Recession has hit, many people are unemployed due to no fault of their own so I would guess employers probably would not consider that the liability they did 2 years ago.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,721 times
I just wanted to add that if the scenario was between a male and a female, the female would have the edge. This is my opinion. I've noticed this more in engineering especially.

I'm sure someone would say otherwise, but women in engineering have it good. Not many women in engineering.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Several of the posts above fall out of the assumptions made by the original poster. The candidates are exactly the same - exactly - except for employment status. The original post is hypothetical. The assumption is no differences become apparent during an interview, etc. Otherwise, if we allow the candidates to be differentiated in other ways, the thread can be closed by simply stating "The best person for the job."

With that, the employer would have more leverage hiring the unemployed person at negotiation time.
The scenario presented is not possible though. They may be the exact same with regard to education and experience but they are not the same in personality or disposition and depending on the job that could weigh heavily on the decision. I can't see there being zero difference in personality or presentation.

Last edited by cleasach; 02-03-2010 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: accidently cut the last sentence

Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I just wanted to add that if the scenario was between a male and a female, the female would have the edge. This is my opinion. I've noticed this more in engineering especially.

I'm sure someone would say otherwise, but women in engineering have it good. Not many women in engineering.
Yes, while this is off topic (original poster implied both male or both female), due to EEO rules, women definitely have an advantage. In addition, they get to be the "Queen Bee" in the workplace as they were in the engineering classroom. Every engineering dude wants to partner up with the lone engineering chick. There was no "Society of Men Engineers" or "Men in Science and Engineering" or "Majority Engineering Program". This practice is part of corporate "diversity initiatives" which is really sugar coating affirmative action - especially for government contracts. I've never filled out a job application in my life that didn't ask me my ethnicity and my gender. Never.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post

Tell that to my (female) friend who is a mechanical engineer with a degree from a Top 5 school who has been out of work for a year now.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
So, what do you think her problem is? Asking to high of a salary, even with a major degree? Although, I've heard that people with Master's Degrees are even having a problem finding a job. Either no jobs available in a certain career or the salary is way to low for a degree like that. Just don't know! She had a job before, how did she get that one? Is age a problem, like it definitely is with some of us who are unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Tell that to my (female) friend who is a mechanical engineer with a degree from a Top 5 school who has been out of work for a year now.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
So, what do you think her problem is? Asking to high of a salary, even with a major degree? Although, I've heard that people with Master's Degrees are even having a problem finding a job. Either no jobs available in a certain career or the salary is way to low for a degree like that. Just don't know! She had a job before, how did she get that one? Is age a problem, like it definitely is with some of us who are unemployed.
There's that attitude again. She's unemployed so it must be her problem. Not the economy or the industry's problem. Just hers. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search