Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Becoming a carpenter instead of Computer Science which you probably spent a lot of money on is beyond me. The only reason people in construction don't get out is because they DON'T have a degree, trust me, I know.

Nonsense, there are lots of union tradesmen in Chicago with degrees and in many trades here it's not unusual to make well into six figures. Note too that the people who become management for the contractors are people who come from the trades and there's big money in that; you know, like being a superintendant or project manager for an outfit like Bechtel or ABB.

I got into my trade at a young age with two years of college figuring I'd go back but I made such good money and enjoyed the work so much I never did. Next thing you know I'm 55 and retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
kind of random but I'm just curious - how often do electricians need to work at high heights? Is a fear of heights something that could be worked around if you wanted to be an electrician?

Electricians are seldom exposed to the kind of risks routinely taken by ironworkers, boilermakers and carpenters, most high work a sparky would do would be from a ladder (which isn't really high) or from a protected position. Being a sparky IS dangerous though, quite a few are seriously injured and killed by electricity.

Even the trades that have the most exposed high work are MUCH less dangerous than they were a generation ago when I started thanks to mandatory tie off, decking, JLGs and such.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Becoming a carpenter instead of Computer Science which you probably spent a lot of money on is beyond me. The only reason people in construction don't get out is because they DON'T have a degree, trust me, I know.
He is not talking about the private sector, he is talking about the union. Union construction workers make very good money plus they get pensions (unheard of these days). On my job site I worked with journeyman electricians, carpenters, and ironworkers who were all pulling in $70,000+. By the time you factored in side-work they were all making over $100,000+ a year. A B.S. in Computer Science probably won't even get you a job nowadays (because they are all being offshored to India) and even if it does said job will pay what....$40,000 a year if you're lucky?

However, the trades aren't for everyone. You will be outside often. You will freeze in the winter and fry in the summer. You will rip up your hands and your knees and back will ache. The older guys seem to be miserable and they take it out on you. It's going to be tough for him because he's 32. I'm 30 and I left my apprenticeship because I didn't want to do that stuff and deal with the bull**** for the rest of my life.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Even the trades that have the most exposed high work are MUCH less dangerous than they were a generation ago when I started thanks to mandatory tie off, decking, JLGs and such.
Yeah, OSHA has a pretty good handle on things. The contractors are mortified about getting some of those fines (which go into the tens of thousands of dollars at times). Also, the union tends to only deal with reputable contractors and the local hall will go to bat for you if a contractor is screwing with you (asking you to do dangerous things, etc..).

Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
I know how hard interviews can be. I had a big one just a few days ago. I took a class on how to help me with the possible question I could face going in, well here is a way to jump pass the rest and find the way to get the most out of your time and get the job. Just follow this link and you will be there in no time. It worked for me and my wife.
Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.
http://455efg1hmhphtwefqetl1fhvcc.ho...?tid=INTERVIEW

Then PREPARE YOURSELF! Job Interviews are tricky. They're going to be asking you for specific examples. They're going to be asking you for details; including names of people, dates, and outcomes.

They'll ask you about lengthy projects you've been involved in — how your role evolved, how you handled deadlines, how you handled pressures and difficult personalities. They're going to be testing you — Are you ready for their tough questions?

What you are about to discover here are over 177 MODERN, TRUST-BUILDING, EMOTIONALLY-INTELLIGENT, and TOTALLY PERSUASIVE job interview answers designed to help you warmly and confidently answer the difficult or awkward-feeling questions you can expect given the HR behavioral screening & hiring practices of today's complex business world.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
So many different view points being presented here, but that said, I think this is a valuable thread to those considering a career.

OP, I have to say, I wouldn't necessarily give up on your IT career if that was your original interest. While I don't dismiss the carpentry field at all(in fact I highly suggest it for those unsure of a path to go) I will say that there are lots of benefits to continuing down the IT path. Yes, it can be hard to overcome that stereotypical "we want 5 years experience for entry level" requirement. It's asinine and ridiculous, I agree.

But if you can get past that, the career path is lucrative and will pay you much better. The only reason I would suggest carpentry is if you really didn't like IT. That's something you need to answer for yourself though. Don't go into either field for the money, go into it because you like it. Both fields require a dedication that you can't fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search