Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 PM

52 posts, read 153,537 times

Advertisements

So I did my second interview with the company and it came down to me and another person. I have been informed that it was a really close decision but that they have decided to go with the other person in the running. They told me that my lack of experience in the field tilted the decision to the other person's real job experience.

The manager reminded me that I did great and that she wanted to ask me if it was ok for her to call me if something opened up in the near future. Now, does this really happen? do they ever really call you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Yes, it does happen. I've called the runner-up when the first choice didnt work out. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Yes. After an agonizing month, the company selected the "other guy" who happened to be local. I had asked for relo expenses. A year later they called me and asked me if I was still interested - apparently he didn't work out! I think you should be flattered that they thought so much of you that they even said that. It means it really was close and you were a viable candidate. However, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll have any openings any time soon.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even get this far again with a good position. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 PM

52 posts, read 153,537 times
I got a call from a friend of the interviewer, he has his own start-up company and wants to see me. The original interviewer was very favorable in his opinion of me and gave him my resume.

Now, this is a different company which I know nothing about, I cannot find any information online and do not even know what position he wants to see me for. I am going in blind. This puts me a little uneasy, also the interview is taking place at a coffee shop? why not his office? does he not have one? is this a fake interview/trying to pitch me something? All I know is his cell# and location of the meeting.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
Now, this is a different company which I know nothing about, I cannot find any information online and do not even know what position he wants to see me for. I am going in blind. This puts me a little uneasy, also the interview is taking place at a coffee shop? why not his office? does he not have one? is this a fake interview/trying to pitch me something? All I know is his cell# and location of the meeting.
It could be a sales pitch. Or it could be completely legit. I spend my afternoons at a coffee shop near my home (sending out apps and reading) and I see people conducting interviews there almost every day. I have to think at least some of these people are legit.

Since you know absolutely nothing about the company you should think of this as you interviewing them not the other way around. The employer should be thoroughly answering your questions about the company's business, the organizational structure, and the job responsibilities. Only you can decide if any offer is something you are comfortable with.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Two anecdotal stories...

I interviewed with a larger corporation and a better qualified applicant got the job. They asked if I'd be interested in them keeping in touch with other positions they might have open, and I indicated that I would. About six weeks later they called me about a different position, had me come in and interview, and offered me the job on the spot!

I was loooking for a p/t assistant, and you'd think that would be easy, right? Wrong. I've never seen so many typos, incorrectly spelled words, and bad composition in my life. I finally found one girl who seemed good, until I called her references and they were one worse than the next. Then I found another that seemed perfect. Her previous employer was my bosses neighbor. So he causally inquired about her and got an earful. Scratch that one.

In the meantime, the neighbor told my boss that she had just hired someone, and it was a really tough decision. She still had the resumes of the two top candidates that she hadn't chosen (in both cases they were super qualified, she ended up hiring the one that lived closest.) So she faxed me their resumes and I called them in for interviews. The were both terrific, one ended up getting a different job in the meantime so I hired the other, and she worked there for two years until she graduated.

The moral to the story is that you just never know how you might end up being offered a job.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I was called 2 times last year and told "I was the runner up" to a job. One was for a 12 hour a week 'admin' job which would have been better than sitting home aimlessly every day.

Thanks, you did nicely but we hired someone else.

Never before did this happen to me.

The other person who called me was a principal of a school where I interviewed for an aide position. Due to my experience and education, it's like interviewing for a housekeeper job when you are hotel management material.

However, never let it be said I 'sit around' daydreaming for the ideal job.

I didn't get this job, but the principal called me and was sort of apologetic I was not hired. I was floored at his politeness (a lot of principals are arrogant). I'm sure they just hired from within someone on the books...getting in a school as many of you know, even at a low level is cut throat.

I guess you could say 'that was nice of them' but it would have been nicer to be the top candidate.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I was called 2 times last year and told "I was the runner up" to a job. One was for a 12 hour a week 'admin' job which would have been better than sitting home aimlessly every day.

Thanks, you did nicely but we hired someone else.

Never before did this happen to me.

The other person who called me was a principal of a school where I interviewed for an aide position. Due to my experience and education, it's like interviewing for a housekeeper job when you are hotel management material.

However, never let it be said I 'sit around' daydreaming for the ideal job.

I didn't get this job, but the principal called me and was sort of apologetic I was not hired. I was floored at his politeness (a lot of principals are arrogant). I'm sure they just hired from within someone on the books...getting in a school as many of you know, even at a low level is cut throat.

I guess you could say 'that was nice of them' but it would have been nicer to be the top candidate.
To be honest, I see both these stories as encouraging -- you clearly made a positive impression on these interview panels. I am impressed by the fact that both took the time to call and tell you -- that kind of graciousness and class is rare. If this occurred to me during a job search, I would truly take it as a vote of confidence from which to build for your next interview.

Did you take the opportunity to ask them if there is something you could have done differently (if anything) to give you the edge over the applicant who was chosen? They are not necessarily going to tell you the truth, but sometimes the information can give insight as to how you might tweak your presentation.

As regards schools hiring "insiders" -- yes, public schools are particularly adept at this, but it happens also in other arenas, including in large corporations. Though some employers have immense integrity and will take pains to apply objective criteria, the notion that "the job always or nearly always goes to the most qualified applicant" is simply a myth. Nonetheless, one must continue to always present one's self as though it does.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehistory View Post
So I did my second interview with the company and it came down to me and another person. I have been informed that it was a really close decision but that they have decided to go with the other person in the running. They told me that my lack of experience in the field tilted the decision to the other person's real job experience.

The manager reminded me that I did great and that she wanted to ask me if it was ok for her to call me if something opened up in the near future. Now, does this really happen? do they ever really call you??
As some of the other posters have confirmed, yes it does. Some companies will even create a job for you if they like you and identify a need you can fill.

I always view every job interviewer as a potential networking contact. One time many years ago, I hit it off with an interviewer -- we just had a great rapport. Although I didn't get the job, I stayed in touch with her and she hooked me up with a friend of hers who was a recruiter. This recruiter turned out to have a high degree of professional integrity. Similarly, there might be some way in which your contacts or knowledge can help them. There has to be some rapport and you cannot force this, but this is how "networking" works in my experiencce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment