Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
OK, so you think they would actually fire ME or give him my position?? On what grounds could they do that? He is 22 years old, just graduated from college in May. This position requires like five years of laboratory experience. Granted yes, he is smart and the information is still fresh in his head (we work in a Microbiology laboratory) but I have been out of school since 2001 and have worked my way up to this position. He worked for one of our directors of the lab while he was a college student and that's how he got the job he has now. That's another thing, he is good friends with the director so he basically uses that to his advantage. It's almost seems like a father/son relationship. And sometimes it seems like the director goes to him first for questions, etc. So I'm not really sure how to handle the situation. I will be more assertive and aggressive but what if he just tries to be more aggressive? Do I go to work everyday having to deal with that? One of my other co-workers said she thinks he is insecure and he is looking for other's for approval. Could this be the case as well?
If he performs better than you, then he deserves the job over you. It is as simple as that. Your age does not grant you anything. I can't tell you how many older people I work with who have the same attitude that you do. They feel they deserve a promotion every few years regardless of the fact that they never work extra, never stay overtime and refuse to learn anything new. If you don't like this situation then start networking - get to know people higher up than you. Work harder, basically earn your keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
tdw

2 posts, read 7,690 times
Hi rere900...

In my humble opinion, I suggest you continue to get to know the new person - really. I have
been on a team where this was taking place and the mgr. showed preference throughout the project for over a year. I continued to perform to my best ability. It was not easy for over a year - even as a consultant. Guess what ? The person who was so adored was never interested in the best for the company but for self and short cut on process constantly...

Quality of work is more important and you will be more confident as time goes on by production versus personality battling.

Enjoy your life on the outside and the work life will take its' rightful place - it's work or a career but not who you actually are. Have supportive friends and networks mostly off the job to help handle problems and you may discover some things you also may need to change. I did... I used to pray about the people and finally found out I need to apply some changes to myself...

Best wishes for a brighter future and a satisfying life no matter where you work or live.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM

236 posts, read 555,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If there is any sense of entitlement, it is right here. Just because you are older and have more experience doesn't mean you are entitled to a job or to keep the one you have. Employers decide whom to hire and whom to keep and they don't have to use the criteria you think is fair or right.

Most employers make such decisions based on who has the best qualifications for the cheapest price and the least hassle or trouble. Right now, that's not sounding like you. You are whiny and petulant, you probably cost more, and it doesn't sound like you have any more skills than he has. Perhaps that is just how it sounds in writing in this thread, but that's how I'm calling it. If you want to remain the senior tech, starting sounding and acting like you are a person with wisdom and maturity.

And yes, putting up with people who are annoying or whom you don't like is part of life. Learn to deal.
First off, I'm not saying that I'm entitled to anything because of my age. I was just stating the fact that he is 22 and I'm 31. I'm not new to the field and I have not been around forever. I was just letting you know that. But the simple fact that (regardless of age) they will give him my job and he as absolutely no experience in being a supervisor (just book knowledge) is hard to believe. I mean it's possible, but they will need a justifiable reason or I will go to HR and they will lose me as an employee, especially if I have done nothing wrong.

For you to say I'm whiny and petulant sounds like you are judging me based on one situation and that shows your immaturity and how little you know.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM

236 posts, read 555,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
If you are his supervisor, then there is absolutely no reason for you to tolerate insubordination. And if he is horning in on projects to which he was not assigned, giving other staff permission to take time off or leave early, and refusing to follow orders, then I would certainly say he is being insubordinate.

If you are working at a major hospital, I have to believe that your employer has a strong HR department and a well-defined set of procedures to follow for handling disciplinary infractions. Don't bother going to your boss; talk to the HR people and get the necessary forms to document infractions and to address them in an appropriate fashion. That is part of your responsibility as a supervisor, because not only is he threatening your position, he is also undermining the department and raising questions in the minds of the others in the group.

It can be hard to take that kind of stance, I know. It's hard to be a supervisor, honestly, particularly if you are the kind of person who was brought up to be nice and polite and to get along with everyone. I speak from experience. But I also know from experience that if you don't nip behavior like that in the bud, you are going to have bigger problems down the road.

Out of curiosity, have you ever taken any kind of management courses? If your employer has a tuition reimbursement policy, you might consider getting them to fund a continuing-ed type course at a business school in your community. Lots of people like to laugh at the idea of learning management in a classroom, but you can actually gain useful knowledge in such a setting.

Good luck to you.
Midwesternbookworm: Thanks for responding. Yeah, I have enrolled in a leadership class for supervisors at my job, but it's not until April. I'm also planning on going back to school for Health Policy Administration. But like you stated it's hard being aggressive and mean towards people because I was raised to be nice and polite and I was kind of quiet in grade school. I am somewhat of an introvert now, but I get my work done and I do what's asked of me. This is my first real supervisor role and I guess I thought that whoever was under me would automatically do what's asked, respect me, and not be a pain in the butt. And I think this situation will help me to be better in the long run, I just have to know how to deal with it. That's why I'm asking for advice. The people on here who are judging me and saying mean things are not helping me, just being ignorant.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
I'm new here and wanted some advice because I'm kind of fed up. Not sure what I should do about this situation or if I'm just over reacting. I'm a senior technologist in a laboratory at my job (a little over a year, but out of school for 10yrs) and we just hired this new guy who just graduated from college in May. So he comes in and for the past few months it seems like he is trying to take over being the boss and wants to take over the important duties/projects. My manager gives him these things to do I guess because she feels like he is not challenged or want's more responsibility, but now I feel like he want's to be the Senior tech. He acts like he knows everything, does not ask for my imput on any decisions and whenever I'm doing something that seems important it's like he wants to be involved or tries to do something more important on his own to get recognition. I'm not sure if it's because I am a woman and he feels like he can step all over me What should I do in this situation? Talk to my boss about it? She seems like she likes him alot, but I don't want to seem insecure about it.
Well he will either succeed or fail. If he succeeeds he will advance and if he fials he is like to either be let go or just become another person doing what they have to. He obviously is wanting to advance and thinks the risk is worth it. Let him go unless you want to compete.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Quote:
Midwesternbookworm: Thanks for responding. Yeah, I have enrolled in a leadership class for supervisors at my job, but it's not until April. I'm also planning on going back to school for Health Policy Administration. But like you stated it's hard being aggressive and mean towards people because I was raised to be nice and polite and I was kind of quiet in grade school. I am somewhat of an introvert now, but I get my work done and I do what's asked of me. This is my first real supervisor role and I guess I thought that whoever was under me would automatically do what's asked, respect me, and not be a pain in the butt. And I think this situation will help me to be better in the long run, I just have to know how to deal with it. That's why I'm asking for advice. The people on here who are judging me and saying mean things are not helping me, just being ignorant.
You are wise, and correct, to view this as a learning experience. It can work very much to your advantage in the long run. And frankly, if this is your first real challenge as a supervisor, I have to say you're getting dropped in pretty gently.

Ok, here is what I would do in my workplace. First of all, my employer has a multi-step warning system: the first three written warnings don't carry any longterm consequences, other than being placed in an employee's permanent personnel file, but the fourth written warning results in a three-day unpaid suspension, and continued infractions can result in an individual being put on probation and ultimately terminated. And "Failure to follow managerial directives" is considered an infraction under my employer's policies. In your shoes, I would start delivering instructions to the employee in writing (email by preference), and then document the heck out of every time he violates those instructions. And I would enlist the help of the HR department to help me write and deliver written warnings, up to and including probation and termination if necessary.

So I reiterate: go to your HR department and find out all the details that they should have given you when they made you a supervisor in the first place. Get the exact list of things that your employer's policy handbook considers to be infractions of the rules, and inform yourself in detail exactly how those infractions are handled. This should be basic information that any new supervisor or manager is given, but all too often, the new person is left to figure things out on their own. If you weren't given the information, go looking for it.

And in one final note, it isn't necessary to be mean or aggressive to get your way as a manager. It's hard to deliver a reprimand, but if you think about being a parent, sometimes it is necessary. You can deliver a reprimand in a belittling and negative way, which won't help you much in the long run, or you can be constructive and firm in insisting on the appropriate behavior from your staff.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I'll be pulling for you!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
I have to co-sign the OP. When someone has been in a job longer than you, you have to know when to take initiative and know when to fall back. The OP has something over her new colleague, and that's seniority so ultimately she has/should have some pull with the higher ups. This new guy is definitely trying to run it and what you (the OP) need to do is put him in his place as supervisor. Yes, he's definitely playing the kiss-a$$ role and that's not going to get him very far, real talk. In the grand scheme of things, I think the OP needs to take a military style of leadership: firm but loving. You can't let people run over you because when you're in authority, you will have employees that are gonna test you.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM

372 posts, read 1,116,588 times
Those new college hire kids...

You have to be aggressive and dominant, especially in this economy.

If you don't, you will be dominated and smooshed.

The goods news is, he'll wear out after a few months and realize life isn't all about work.
That's your chance to show you are consistent and reliable and maybe ask your boss for some added responsibilities.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,235 times
Quote:
I'm new here and wanted some advice because I'm kind of fed up. Not sure what I should do about this situation or if I'm just over reacting. I'm a senior technologist in a laboratory at my job (a little over a year, but out of school for 10yrs) and we just hired this new guy who just graduated from college in May. So he comes in and for the past few months it seems like he is trying to take over being the boss and wants to take over the important duties/projects. My manager gives him these things to do I guess because she feels like he is not challenged or want's more responsibility, but now I feel like he want's to be the Senior tech. He acts like he knows everything, does not ask for my imput on any decisions and whenever I'm doing something that seems important it's like he wants to be involved or tries to do something more important on his own to get recognition. I'm not sure if it's because I am a woman and he feels like he can step all over me What should I do in this situation? Talk to my boss about it? She seems like she likes him alot, but I don't want to seem insecure about it.
I sense dick envy here... Are you kidding me? Your spending way too much time focusing on someone else instead of just doing your job. To hell with what "Tom, Dick and Harry" is doing and just concentrate on the job you were hired for. Being people-focused is where you will start making mistakes and f---king up. Stop worrying about what he is doing at work and start focusing on #1 YOU!....

These are the same kind of people I hate working with...misery loves company (no offense to original poster) but come on man! Just DO YOUR JOB and let them do theirs. I work with enough back-stabbing ******* at my job and believe me, I have put their a---es on the IGNORE button a long time ago.

That company hired you to DO A JOB...not express your opinion on someone else that is trying to make it in this bad economy. ..NOW, if he is doing dirty...karma will take care of any one's a-- trying to play games. ALWAYS LET PEOPLE HANG THEMSELVES...as long as you keep your name out of any drama..you should be ok.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
I sense dick envy here... Are you kidding me? Your spending way too much time focusing on someone else instead of just doing your job. To hell with what "Tom, Dick and Harry" is doing and just concentrate on the job you were hired for. Being people-focused is where you will start making mistakes and f---king up. Stop worrying about what he is doing at work and start focusing on #1 YOU!....

These are the same kind of people I hate working with...misery loves company (no offense to original poster) but come on man! Just DO YOUR JOB and let them do theirs. I work with enough back-stabbing ******* at my job and believe me, I have put their a---es on the IGNORE button a long time ago.

That company hired you to DO A JOB...not express your opinion on someone else that is trying to make it in this bad economy. ..NOW, if he is doing dirty...karma will take care of any one's a-- trying to play games. ALWAYS LET PEOPLE HANG THEMSELVES...as long as you keep your name out of any drama..you should be ok.
WOW....Just.....whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment