Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

236 posts, read 551,113 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and wanted some advice because I'm kind of fed up. Not sure what I should do about this situation or if I'm just over reacting. I'm a senior technologist in a laboratory at my job (a little over a year, but out of school for 10yrs) and we just hired this new guy who just graduated from college in May. So he comes in and for the past few months it seems like he is trying to take over being the boss and wants to take over the important duties/projects. My manager gives him these things to do I guess because she feels like he is not challenged or want's more responsibility, but now I feel like he want's to be the Senior tech. He acts like he knows everything, does not ask for my imput on any decisions and whenever I'm doing something that seems important it's like he wants to be involved or tries to do something more important on his own to get recognition. I'm not sure if it's because I am a woman and he feels like he can step all over me What should I do in this situation? Talk to my boss about it? She seems like she likes him alot, but I don't want to seem insecure about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
You do sound very insecure and threatened. Why is it a problem if he wants to be a senior technologist? What is it that you think his is trying to 'take over'--your job, the company, what?

This guy is only a threat to you if his is actually more qualified or capable than you. And if that is truly the case, then his age doesn't matter. But if you are truly as qualified and capable as you think you are, then this guy is just a mild annoyance and you should go about your job as you always have. If he is trying to take over the company, that is your boss' problem, not yours.

If you tell your manager that you resent this new guy's initiative, you are certainly not going to do yourself any favors. Instead of trying to change him, try to change yourself instead.

Last edited by kodaka; 02-05-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
aggressive people are much easier to handle than the passive. the experience is not just happening to you, though it feels that way. one day you will look up he will not be there or he will be your bosses boss. either way out of your face. people that are immediately aggressive and rude to fellow workers rarely move up.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You do sound very insecure and threatened. Why is it a problem if he wants to be a senior technologist? What is it that you think his is trying to 'take over'--your job, the company, what?

This guy is only a threat to you if his is actually more qualified or capable than you. And if that is truly the case, then his age doesn't matter. But if you are truly as qualified and capable as you think you are, then this guy is just a mild annoyance and you should go about your job as you always have. If he is trying to take over the company, that is your boss' problem, not yours.

If you tell your manager that you resent this new guy's initiative, you are certainly not going to do yourself any favors. Instead of trying to change him, try to change yourself instead.
Well, it's a problem if he want's to be a senior tech because it's only one senior tech position and it's filled by me. It's almost like he want's to "out shine" me. There is no way he can take over the company or anything like that because we work in a large hospital. But I guess he wants the higher up's to maybe think that he is more capable of doing greater things that I am. For instance any little thing he does he strives to get recognition from the manager's/directors. Like he want's people to think he is a better asset to the lab and can do things better. Certain responsibilities that I have as a Senior like allowing employees to take the day off or leave early, he makes those decisions while I"m out of the lab and won't notify me ahead of time.Any time he makes a mistake he can not take fault for doing something wrong and he goes on and on about it all day. If I think something needs to be done a certain way, he just blows it off like it's not important. So how do u think I need to change?? I'm very confident in my role at work and don't try to impress people with every single ounce of knowledge that I have. It's almost like he is the insecure once and needs someone to build his ego. But it's very annoying.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 PM

4,282 posts, read 10,717,586 times
Well honestly it sounds like he is the better man for the job then you are. gotta be aggresive.

Be aggressive, work on the important projects, etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Well honestly it sounds like he is the better man for the job then you are. gotta be aggresive.

Be aggressive, work on the important projects, etc.
How does it sound like he is better?? I can be aggressive and work on the important projects, but do I spend my time trying to compete with a new employee who thinks he is trying to do better than me?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 AM

44,878 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Typical Gen Y behavior: "I just got out of college and even though I have absolutely no experience I'm way smarter than you. Oh, by the way, I need Friday and Monday off, my fraternity is having a reunion. When can I get a month's vacation, I've been here two weeks already?"

Also, :"You're 40? Why aren't you retired? You know it's your own fault you can't? You're clogging up the system for us young guys."

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-06-2010 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: added

Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,867,325 times
I've found that the person who acts like they own the position, ultimately gets the position. If you're a senior and he's not, pull rank. Give him assignments. Stand up to him. Take on more work. Do it better. Above all, don't appear to be threatened by him. I would not get my boss involved. Why? She's got two employees competing for the same job Why would she want to stop them from trying to outperform each other?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
It sounds like he wants to progress in his career. To get a promotion you have to prove to your boss that you are better than your co-workers at your job. He isn't trying to get the promotion by talking bad about people or doing anything underhanded. It sounds like he is just working hard to prove he can handle it.

Can you blame him? If you want to keep your job work harder and prove to the boss why you are a better employee than him. If he proves to your boss that he is more capable of handling a senior tech. position than anyone else in the lab, why would your boss not give it to him?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I'm new here and wanted some advice because I'm kind of fed up. Not sure what I should do about this situation or if I'm just over reacting. I'm a senior technologist in a laboratory at my job (a little over a year, but out of school for 10yrs) and we just hired this new guy who just graduated from college in May. So he comes in and for the past few months it seems like he is trying to take over being the boss and wants to take over the important duties/projects. My manager gives him these things to do I guess because she feels like he is not challenged or want's more responsibility, but now I feel like he want's to be the Senior tech. He acts like he knows everything, does not ask for my imput on any decisions and whenever I'm doing something that seems important it's like he wants to be involved or tries to do something more important on his own to get recognition. I'm not sure if it's because I am a woman and he feels like he can step all over me What should I do in this situation? Talk to my boss about it? She seems like she likes him alot, but I don't want to seem insecure about it.
You sound a little insecure. But if he is stepping into your area, you need to put him in his place and tell him "this is my project and you stay the hell out of it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment